Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Failed screw drive on Pentax K-10.

My daughter returned to me the K-10 that I gave her a few years back because the AF no longer works. Does anyone have any ideas about screw drive repair--who, where, how, how much $$ etc.? I suspect the best answer is to forget about it and use the K-10 for my Takumar screw mount collection, but I am open to other feasible/affordable options. Thanks in advance.

08-26-2019, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it would be cheaper to replace it than to repair, so I'd say use it as a dedicated Takumar body. The K10D and Taks really do work beautifully well together, giving you probably the most slide film like look you'll ever get from a digital camera.
08-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I think it would be cheaper to replace it than to repair, so I'd say use it as a dedicated Takumar body. The K10D and Taks really do work beautifully well together, giving you probably the most slide film like look you'll ever get from a digital camera.
Thank you for your fast respose. I suspect you are right. Perhaps I will switch my M42 adapter from the K-7 to the K-10 and then try to figure out what to do with the K-7!
08-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Dave that it would be far cheaper to replace rather than repair. The K10D (and Samsung GX10 equivalent) can be picked up very inexpensively these days, if desired. Otherwise, your existing K10D would make a fine manual focus lens body... dare I say it, resolution aside, better than the K-7 due to the K10D's remarkable sensor...

08-26-2019, 03:54 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Super-Takumar 55mm f 1.8 on Pentax K-10. First shots with new Takumar dedicated K-10 with color saturation, sharpness, and contrast shoved to the right on menu.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Super-Takumar 55mm f 1.8 on Pentax K-10. First shots with new Takumar dedicated K-10 with color saturation, sharpness, and contrast shoved to the right on menu.
So... that seems to work rather well

Nice

If you go down the raw shooting and processing route, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the raw files and how they respond to processing - at least within the ISO 100 - 400 range. 800 is perfectly usable in some situations too, but I personally wouldn't bother with ISO 1600...
08-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hi,
I have K10D with broken flash. For me it is hard to use K10D for manual focus since it doesn't have live view.
But K10D has SDM contacts! DA18-135 and DA20-40Ltd both works fine on my K10D.
If it is screwdriver motor broken, those lenses can still be usable..

08-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VadikToronto Quote
Hi,
I have K10D with broken flash. For me it is hard to use K10D for manual focus since it doesn't have live view.
But K10D has SDM contacts! DA18-135 and DA20-40Ltd both works fine on my K10D.
If it is screwdriver motor broken, those lenses can still be usable..
Well the SDM contacts are interesting to know about, although I think my only SDM lenses are the 645 90mm and 55mm, and they won't fit on the K-10. :>)
08-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter returned to me the K-10 that I gave her a few years back because the AF no longer works.
Is it just the screw drive or is manual focus confirm not working either?

Steve
08-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my K10 the lens locking pin stayed retracted, the same mechanism holds the screw drive disengaged. My M42;adaptor has been permanently attached ever since, about 5 years now
08-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My daughter returned to me the K-10 that I gave her a few years back because the AF no longer works. Does anyone have any ideas about screw drive repair--who, where, how, how much $$ etc.? I suspect the best answer is to forget about it and use the K-10 for my Takumar screw mount collection, but I am open to other feasible/affordable options. Thanks in advance.
I'd say it's almost certainly going to be cheaper to replace the camera. KEH has one for $95 right now (in EX+ condition) with the coupon code OVER8:

Pentax K10D Digital Camera Body {10.2 M/P} - Overstock - Special Deals at KEH Camera

You may even want to take this opportunity to pick up a new body for her, as K-5's have really come down a lot lately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is it just the screw drive or is manual focus confirm not working either?

Steve
Focus confirm is working fine, the light in viewfinder as well as the beep. This is when the camera is set on M focus.

---------- Post added 08-26-19 at 10:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd say it's almost certainly going to be cheaper to replace the camera. KEH has one for $95 right now (in EX+ condition) with the coupon code OVER8:

Pentax K10D Digital Camera Body {10.2 M/P} - Overstock - Special Deals at KEH Camera

You may even want to take this opportunity to pick up a new body for her, as K-5's have really come down a lot lately.
Thanks Adam, I saw that. However, you cannot trust their ratings on lenses and cameras. They tell me they are shipping Ugly stuff and I get near mint stuff instead.
08-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam, I saw that. However, you cannot trust their ratings on lenses and cameras. They tell me they are shipping Ugly stuff and I get near mint stuff instead.
Hard to complain there! KEH has always been very conservative with their ratings, so you'll usually be positively surprised or at least satisfied.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: