Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can you recommend a good "budget" tripod?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Under $100 if there is such a thing.

What about a monopod $40 or less?

08-27-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the money, this is not half bad: ZOMEI Z818 Photography Camera Tripod Monopod Lightweight Travel Tripod With 360 Degree Ball Head And Carry Bag For DSLR Stand-in Live Tripods from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
08-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would look for a used Bogen-Manfrotto. They're solid and bulletproof, in my experience, though a bit on the heavy side.
08-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

have 2 amazon basic tripods with pistol grip....ravelli rebadges I think.....they were not that much a few years ago when I got them maybe around 50-70$.....now these things are beasts! certainly heavy duty....they have a carry bag.....I do not lug them around very much but they are always in my car.....mostly use them at night for star trails or milky way....never had an issue.....also got some generic gimbal head this past year and it attached without issue but not super simple and stays on...as in I don't switch it out....has worked very well when I go birding...no issues with sigma 150-500 on k-3ii....the one draw back is I do not like the rubber feet (which are removeable) stability on floors....

amazon.com : AmazonBasics Pistol Grip Camera Travel Tripod With Bag - 34.4 - 72.6 Inches, Black : Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

did get a oben ac-1341 for $50 used (facebook market place) with be-108 ballhead…..much lighter and smaller but works great....its my lug around tripod barely notice I am carrying it

08-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have the mefoto road trip which is currently $160 in aluminum but sometimes is on sale. It also functions as a monopod and comes with a serviceable ball head. I'm not sure I would try to go much cheaper if you want to avoid buying another tripod in a few years.
08-27-2019, 04:07 PM - 3 Likes   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

buy used - if you have a local camera store, check out their used inventory...

I bought a solid, practically-new Manfrotto 3021BN for less than $100....
08-27-2019, 04:59 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Under $100 if there is such a thing.

What about a monopod $40 or less?
An under $100 tripod or a $500 tripod is useless if it isn't designed for what you're using it with and for. Stores like BHphotovideo carry over 650 different tripods and 130 of those model sare under $100.

What type of head best suits your needs? What is the max or min height wanted? For example, I wanted a lateral center column arm to extend over a table and there is only one model under $100 that offers that.

Is stability more important or light weight and compact for easy travel?

Unless you want to waste your money on upgrading over the years from mediocrity to finally a keeper, consider a tripod as a lifetime investment. I like sites like BHphotovideo where you can filter your options to narrow the choices. But then, of course, nothing beats a brick and mortar to actually get your hands on different tripods to see the quality, features, and size.

When it comes to monopods, beware the load capacity. Many photographers sort of use their monopods for more support than just their cameras (aka walking stick) and a cheap monopod will slip or collapse. For $40 I would consider the Manfrotto Element Aluminum Monopod with a 33 lbs. load capacity.
Manfrotto Element Aluminum Monopod (Red) MMELEA5RD B&H Photo

But aluminum can bend, so if you can increase your budget, I'd go with a lighter but stronger carbon fiber model like the Leofoto MP-284C Carbon Fiber Monopod with 110 lbs. load capacity.
Leofoto MP-284C Carbon Fiber Monopod MP-284 B&H Photo Video

08-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Watch for markdowns at reputable stores. Look at the load capacity of the tripod and the head, and get more capacity than you need. It's hard to recommend a tripod if you haven't bought one recently. I have an Induro that I bought ten years ago and it has been great. I also have three Mefoto travel tripods, 2 different sizes and one as a gift. Avoid the Mefoto air, they are crap, but the others are good for lightweight tripods. I use the small one a lot for tabletop shooting.

I would recommend going to a brick and mortar store if you can to see what you like and don't like. See if they have a sturdy feel, a robust head, and see the general build quality.
08-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good "budget" in aluminum that will last a life-time. Manfrotto 475B. Carbon fiber Gitzo is good in any flavor. Budget and good...
08-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!
08-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I would look for a used Bogen-Manfrotto. They're solid and bulletproof, in my experience, though a bit on the heavy side.
Agreed
08-27-2019, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Try a SLIK 700 DX. I have had my SLIK since about 1992, (Not the 700DX) and the thing is still my go to tripod for my DSLR's.

Used on eBay
Slik 700DX Pro Tripod 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head Titanium Finish Quick Release & Bag | eBay

New on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Slik-3-Section-19-8lbs-Capacity-Maximum/dp/B00IABGU9G...gateway&sr=8-4
08-28-2019, 02:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this smol boy (Manfrotto Compact Advanced, with the 3-way head) that I got used for 35 bucks. It's a bit heavy for the size (1.3 kg or so?) but it's super compact while folded so it fits perfectly on the side of a small backpack. It's also pretty sturdy with a 1.5 kg setup on top, I had no problems even with some annoying wind on a bridge.
08-28-2019, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
For the money, this is not half bad: ZOMEI Z818 Photography Camera Tripod Monopod Lightweight Travel Tripod With 360 Degree Ball Head And Carry Bag For DSLR Stand-in Live Tripods from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I have one of these and they are rock solid. I use it to shoot real estate and commercial shoots. You would be hard pressed to beat it when it come to performance for what you pay.
08-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used a Tiltall (aluminum) tripod for 50 years. Still available as the "classic" model. Very basic, not compact, but does the job.