Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

ESII fast battery drain

Hi Pentaxians , maybe you can help me with this issue. I bought an ESII some days ago in a nice conditon. Everything seemed to be ok with it. The meter pin mooved as it should. But some time after the pin started to go only to 4 when I pressed the shutter, no matter the light conditions. I realized the LR44 batteries were being drainned very fast, in circa 20 minutes. Not all batteries were drainned - and it is the strange thing - but just one of them, as I tested in my multimeter. It went to 0.7v, the other went to 1.35 very fast also. Then I put new batteries and the meter pin reestarted working normally. But after half an hour the new batteries were drained and the pin reestarted to act wrong. I tried everything to prevent it: closed the lenses, let the dial in bulb or manual, but the drainnage occurred again and again.
Certainly the circuit is defective. Is it a common problem? What do you think it could be?

Last edited by Orlandomfn; 08-31-2019 at 06:09 PM.
08-31-2019, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #2

Is it always the same position battery that drains? Say the one with the negative pole touching the contact on the camera or battery cap? Make sure there is nothing in the battery compartment that could be shorting out the battery. Such as some corrosion or the negative contact bent so that it shorts across the negative pole (round button) to the positive (casing of battery).
08-31-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, now I see that the plastic isolation under one of the batteries is deteriorating. I will isolate it properly and test it again with fresh batteries. It is becoming expensive, I already fried two sets :/ Maybe works now.