Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2019, 05:09 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

QuoteOriginally posted by Coven Quote
Hello!

I'm a newbie from central Europe, . . . .. would like to buy a UWA and at the moment I see two options - Pentax HD / SMC 15mm f/4.0 Limited and Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS. Both have very good opinions and similar prices. I need it for landscape fotography obviously , but I wonder which would be better at IQ overall. I don't care for the weight, size, abberations (as long as they are easily corrected in Lightroom). The Pentax Limited is very tempting - probably better QC (compared to Samyang), bult-in hood, cheaper filters, the size and weight, but can't see a good direct comparison of IQ for these two guys.. . . .
any of the limiteds ( DA and FA ) are considered by a lot of us as very good and special:

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

but be warned, it can be hard to stop at just one limited

with regard to the DA limiteds there are now different versioins - SMC and HD:

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe.

Pentax HD Limiteds mounted on the K-3The 5 New Pentax HD Limited Primes

In this review, we will be taking a look at the five new "HD Limited" primes Pentax announced in August, 2013: the HD Pentax-DA 15mm F4, HD Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2, HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro, HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8, and HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited. These are among the latest lenses to be treated with the HD coating. In the Pentax world, the term "Limited" simply refers to the fact that these are compact pancake-style lenses sporting an all-metal build and top-shelf image quality. The term does not imply a short or limited production run.

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

__________________________________________________________________________________

here is the " In Depth Review " of the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm LImited:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review
Introduction
Welcome to the PentaxForums.com review of the SMC Pentax 15mm F4 ED AL Limited lens. The Pentax 15mm lens is one of the 5 Pentax "Limited" pancakes, which are known for their small size, all-metal construction, and exceptional image quality. This particular lens is one of our members' favorites, and it has a dedicated lens club thread on our Pentax forum that has over 4000 posts and thousands of sample photos.

Read more at: Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

_____________________________________________________________________________________

and user reviews:

HD Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

09-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

First off sorry for the title - I forgot to "tweak" it after I finished my post, and now I can't edit it. ;<. . .
try going to edit

then advanced

that works for me to edit a title to a thread
09-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Thank you all for answears. I think I will go with HD Pentax 15mm Limited, because of 49mm filter thread and better chance to get a good specimen. I'm planning to fill "the gap" with Sigma 17-50mm HSM in the future.
Here is the video I promised to delivered: Pentax-F 70-210mm f4-5.6 - YouTube
Very good choice. I also have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC which is available at a very good price. I am very pleased with the fine performance of both lenses. The HD DA 15mm Limited has given me excellent results, very flare resistant, fine contrast and resolution, along with its exceptional portability..
09-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #19

Original Poster
I have encoutered a... problem. I would like to get myself a lens hood for my 50 mm and the 70-210 mm. The problem is I have recently bought a CIR-PL filter for them and just a few moments ago it came into my head, that with lens hood on I will probably need a fifferent size of the filter. How is it in reality? I red some topics about Takumar 135 mm hood, that is suitable for both lense, but the inner diameter of the hood's end is larger than the thread on the lens. Can I screw filter on and then the hood on top of it or just return the 49mm and get a proper for the hood diameter?

Are there any other good and cheap options for the hood?

btw. I changed the title, but I can't figure out how I didn't notice the "Go advanced" button before. I was looking for it, but couldn't find.

09-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I have encoutered a... problem. I would like to get myself a lens hood for my 50 mm and the 70-210 mm. The problem is I have recently bought a CIR-PL filter for them and just a few moments ago it came into my head, that with lens hood on I will probably need a fifferent size of the filter. How is it in reality? I red some topics about Takumar 135 mm hood, that is suitable for both lense, but the inner diameter of the hood's end is larger than the thread on the lens. Can I screw filter on and then the hood on top of it or just return the 49mm and get a proper for the hood diameter?

Are there any other good and cheap options for the hood?

btw. I changed the title, but I can't figure out how I didn't notice the "Go advanced" button before. I was looking for it, but couldn't find.
You will not find a lens hood that will be suitable for both lenses. The hoods would have to be quite different in size to cover the difference in focal length, as there will be substantial differences in the angle of view width and height. The A 50mm f/1.7 lens probably has a 49mm filter thread. There are several types of generic hoods available that are screw-on hoods, meaning they will screw into the lens's filter threads. So if your 50mm lens has 49mm threads, you'd purchase a screw-in hood of this size. If you purchased a CP filter specifically for the 50mm lens, it will be of that size and will itself have more filter threads in its front most likely also of 49mm, which will accommodate the screw-on hood. Then you'd want a circular shaped hood, so as you need to rotate your CP filter you simply rotate the hood (using care not to tighten it more!). Be sure when attaching a screw-in hood do so very lightly, NOT tightly! True also of the filter. They can grab so tightly they are hard to remove! There is one hood made of rubber that is not expensive and can be rolled up while still on the lens for storage.

If you got a larger CP filter for your 70-210 tele zoom lens with a step-down screw-in ring to accommodate the 50mm lens with its 49mm threads, that is a different matter altogether. In that case, the best solution is to simply do without a lens hood when using the CP. Just try to make sure you are shooting from a shaded position, or can shade the lens with another device- some have used their hat! I do not know of a particular hood that will especially work with that tele zoom lens. But from your description, it seems that lens might have some issues making it necessary to replace it. A Pentax DA HD 55-300mm f/4-5.8 WR lens would be an ideal low-cost alternative choice, and offers auto focus (AF) and weather resistant construction (WR) to complement your K-3 body. it comes with a dedicated hood, which even has a little reach-in window available at the inner bottom of the hood for the purpose of adjusting rotating filters. Filter thread size on this lens is 58mm.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-12-2019 at 05:29 PM.
09-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
You will not find a lens hood that will be suitable for both lenses. The hoods would have to be quite different in size to cover the difference in focal length, as there will be substantial differences in the angle of view width and height. The A 50mm f/1.7 lens probably has a 49mm filter thread. There are several types of generic hoods available that are screw-on hoods, meaning they will screw into the lens's filter threads. So if your 50mm lens has 49mm threads, you'd purchase a screw-in hood of this size. If you purchased a CP filter specifically for the 50mm lens, it will be of that size and will itself have more filter threads in its front most likely also of 49mm, which will accommodate the screw-on hood. Then you'd want a circular shaped hood, so as you need to rotate your CP filter you simply rotate the hood (using care not to tighten it more!). Be sure when attaching a screw-in hood do so very lightly, NOT tightly! True also of the filter. They can grab so tightly they are hard to remove! There is one hood made of rubber that is not expensive and can be rolled up while still on the lens for storage.

If you got a larger CP filter for your 70-210 tele zoom lens with a step-down screw-in ring to accommodate the 50mm lens with its 49mm threads, that is a different matter altogether.
The F 70-210 uses a 49mm filter. I think that's what he has. Also the 70mm wide end isn't a lot narrower than 50mm and a compromise of using Hood just a bit too wide to be optimized for 50 could still work.
09-13-2019, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I should quit being too exacting here. Since 50mm is the widest angle we are dealing with in this case, although it would not be optimum, with both lenses having the 49mm filter thread, just buying two of those circular rubber screw-in hoods for 50mm lenses, one for each of these lenses would still be better than none, It wouldn't cause any problem and would be be an inexpensive solution.

Just be sure to screw them into place VERY LIGHTLY! It doesn't hurt if it is on a little bit loose, not quite screwed in all the way. I had one screwed on some years ago that with no over-doing on my part, became nearly impossible to remove. I did, however, have a protective UV filter on that lens, which came off with the lens hood attached to it! So I just left that filter attached to the rear of the hood and kept using the hood that way.

I hope the F 70-210mm lens winds up working ok. I think I read it is a pretty decent lens. But if it has a serious problem, I stand behind my alternative lens recommendation for a good tele range zoom lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-13-2019 at 11:53 AM.
09-14-2019, 02:44 AM   #23

Original Poster
I might change my plans a little bit. Pentax's 15mm Limited is more expensive and harder to find in a good condition, so I will maybe go with Sigma 17-50mm first. I have just seen that this Sigma is in two versions - with and without OS (the current ver.). The one with OS is very rare I see, is it worth to pursue Sigma with stabilization?

EDIT.

For the filter I came up with this idea:
I'm going to buy the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and this lens will probably be used most of the time. So it will have the highest priority if it comes to filters. I don't have the hood for the 50mm and that's good because I'm going to buy one with a thread on the whole inner surface. I will buy filters for the Sigma (77 mm) and use step-down ring to screw it into the hood of Pentax 50mm.

The Pentax zoom I will probably sell. It's working fine, but I think the Sigma will be more usefull. For tele I would like to have something >300mm range, but at the moment I will be fine without it.

Last edited by Coven; 09-15-2019 at 06:19 AM.