Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #1

Several questions about lenses, speedlight, and some other stuff

Hello!

I'm a newbie from central Europe, just bought a first DSLR a few weeks back and making first attempt to some "serious" photography. I have got myself a nice Pentax K-3 with a Tamron 90mm macro, and having not so much left in my pocket I chose to pick some "Golden Oldies". I picked two - SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 and SMC Pentax-F 70-210 f/4-5.6. I found some "issues" in them and would like to know if it's typical and safe for further use.

1. In 50mm the aperature ring is really hard to rotate, but as long as I can get it back to "A" position it's ok. I did some reading and found that this is actually very common - one or two positioning metal pieces underneath the ring are detached from the body, and causing the ring to jam. It works fine, so this is not a big deal, I will probably fix it by myself.

2. The zoom lens is also working fine (at least judging after a few test shots), but it has some problems that I couldn't came across on the web. First goes the focus ring - it's incredibly loose, I can move it in and out (parallel to the lens axis) by around 0.5mm and the same amount on the sides (perpendicular to the lens axis). It is probably just loose, beacuse I can't remove it with such ease as I move it. Rotating this ring is so light, that only the weight of rotating elements is the only resistance i feel. The last issue is moving tube inside. When I tilt this son of a rock I see, that the inside part, that extends move just a little back and forth (when I hold it in place there is a minimum rattle). Is this normal? Should I be afraid, that shortly this lens will be unusable due to "dysregulation" of the optics elements inside?

Other lenses
I would like to buy a UWA and at the moment I see two options - Pentax HD / SMC 15mm f/4.0 Limited and Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS. Both have very good opinions and similar prices. I need it for landscape fotography obviously , but I wonder which would be better at IQ overall. I don't care for the weight, size, abberations (as long as they are easily corrected in Lightroom). The Pentax Limited is very tempting - probably better QC (compared to Samyang), bult-in hood, cheaper filters, the size and weight, but can't see a good direct comparison of IQ for these two guys.

Speedlight
I think I'll need one for shadow lightning. I will probably using it most of the time on the camera in the field, but I don't exclude off camera use. I'm thinking of using it wide-angle shots (like in the middle of the forest), some portraits, product photography, and (if possible) macro. The Combo Cactus RF60X + V6II seems very nice, and price for only the speedlight in my case is 110$ (new). I know that it doesn't have TTL by itself (you need to stack it on the camera to have TTL and HSS), but I have heard, that manual flash isn't so hard to master (I would buy V6 II later). I don't know a much about flashes, but this setup sounds nice (when adding extra RF60X flashes I will have no problem with using the wirelessly).

Other stuff
Grip! I have a knock-off grip with metal rods and DOF preview, but I find it somehow uncomfortable. The e-dials are really shallowly set (especially the thumb one) and feels a bit "plasticky" (I don't have extra battery so far, so it enchances this feeling). Another problem is battery level - camera have problem to display it accuratly. Do somebody has a good in-person comparison between knock-offs and the original (I'm looking for one)? Is it feels more sturdy and more durable? Are the e-dials are placed better?

Any other recommendations? I will be gratefull to see your opinions on what I have in mind.

Last edited by Coven; 09-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.
09-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome aboard

as far as the A50/1.7 - a very common failing in that lens is the aperture ring; I always left mine in the 'A' position, as I was able to control the aperture through the K-3 anyways...
09-01-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the 50mm in A mode, very few reasons to change it since as mentioned above the camera will control it.

I own the cactus rf60 (not x) and some v6 triggers as well as a Pentax af540fgz and af360fgz. I use the triggers when I needed more complex lighting control across different angles. When I just needed a bit more automated and simple setup I use the onboard flash to trigger the Pentax 360 or 540.

I have a well worn copy of the f 70-210, I don't recall any similar issues but I will take another look.

I only have experience with the original grip. I don't use it much, BUT the controls have always felt fine.
09-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #4

The grease is probably dried out in the zoom lens. With no grease there is nothing to dampen out the movements you are seeing. As for the zoom barrel/tube again dried grease could be the problem. Another possibility is that plastic cams/rollers which may be used in the assembly can crack or wear out. Replacement of the parts is the solution if any are available which is unlikely due to the age of the lens except from a "donor" lens.

09-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of friendly, knowledgeable members here. For a new DSLR photographer, you are certainly 'jumping in with both feet' as we say here in the USA.
The Tamron 90mm Macro is a great lens. I almost bought one myself before I ran across a great deal on a Pentax-F 100mm Macro.

I assume your K-3 came with the owner's manual. You may also want to consider getting the K-3 companion ebook available here. It expands on what the owner's manual covers and goes into more detail, with tips and tricks. Go to the link below and scroll down to see the listing for the K-3 / K-3 II ebook. It will cost you $13.99USD (not sure how European sales are handled; Paypal I think). PF webmaster Adam can help you if you need it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?act=ebook&loginrequired=1#sub18
09-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
First off sorry for the title - I forgot to "tweak" it after I finished my post, and now I can't edit it. ;<

I'll try to provide a video how this lens operates in a few days. My Tamron also has just a little play in the tube, so maybe it's just age.
09-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I just want to mention the Yongnuo YN585EX as an excellent flash in case you are interested. It does have Pentax TTL (P-TTL), which has flawlessly performed for me. It also is well styled/built and comes with a nice case. It does not have HSS (high speed synch), which I rarely use with my flashes. Below is a shortcut to the product listing at B and H for it.

Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras YN585EX/PENTAX B&H

09-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF.

I'll just comment on one of your questions.
QuoteOriginally posted by Coven Quote
The Combo Cactus RF60X + V6II seems very nice, and price for only the speedlight in my case is 110$ (new). I know that it doesn't have TTL by itself (you need to stack it on the camera to have TTL and HSS), but I have heard, that manual flash isn't so hard to master (I would buy V6 II later). I don't know a much about flashes, but this setup sounds nice (when adding extra RF60X flashes I will have no problem with using the wirelessly).
Sounds like you have read a bit already. Plenty of fans for the Cactus system here. The only thing is that the V6ii units are a little pricey.

If you were willing to use exclusively manual settings and live without HSS, you could get a set of wireless triggers very cheaply.

An alternative is a Godox system. Most of the Godox units have built in radio transmitters/receivers for use with other Godox units. I have the TT350P which is an excellent compact and affordable lightweight flash. It can act as master or slave with another TT350P or other Godox unit for on- or off-camera PTTL, manual operation, HSS, slow-speed sync, etc. I also have the Godox XProP controller which when mounted on the camera can control a number of off-camera Godox units. It also works well.

Godox also offer a range of powerful studio strobes.

The only limitation of the Godox system (apart from the fact that Godox units only talk to one another) for many Pentax users is that so far Godox hasn't released a PTTL version of their more powerful TT685 speedlight. When they do it will be irresistible.

Last edited by Des; 09-02-2019 at 02:42 AM.
09-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello!

Speedlight
I think I'll need one for shadow lightning. I will probably using it most of the time on the camera in the field, but I don't exclude off camera use. I'm thinking of using it wide-angle shots (like in the middle of the forest), some portraits, product photography, and (if possible) macro. The Combo Cactus RF60X + V6II seems very nice, and price for only the speedlight in my case is 110$ (new). I know that it doesn't have TTL by itself (you need to stack it on the camera to have TTL and HSS), but I have heard, that manual flash isn't so hard to master (I would buy V6 II later). I don't know a much about flashes, but this setup sounds nice (when adding extra RF60X flashes I will have no problem with using the wirelessly).
Welcome to the forum.

I have the Cactus RF60X + V6II and I find they work really well, although I'm not using the TTL capability.
09-05-2019, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. As to the ultra-wide, the Pentax 15mm f/4 is so small it can fit into an accessory pocket of many camera cases or bags. It has relatively low linear distortion, very fine IQ, and very fine build quality, typical of the Pentax Limited series. I have this lens, and it is always in said pocket so it will be there when needed, especially when I need a compact carrying kit.

If you'd consider an ultra-wide zoom lens instead of a prime, there's the Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 which provides excellent to very good edge-to-edge performance, even good in corners, with virtually zero linear distortion in the mid-zoom FL of around 14-18mm. Distortion at 24mm is also very low and not bad even at 12mm. Good for architectural photography. It operates using the traditional screw-driven AF, with the typical noise of that system. The focus collar does rotate during AF, but not the front element which is stable for rotating filter use. If you live here in the US, it can be had for around $700 new. Its main weakness is high CA's. I've had mine for years and like it a lot.

However, I recently discovered a superb deal now by B&H Photo of NYC, where the also excellent Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC is offered at an amazingly low cost of $329! That is down almost to half its original cost! This cost is so low I bought one last week to try it out. I am very favorably impressed after shooting a couple dozen shots of a waterfront scene with ships, a bridge, people, etc. This lens s a more recent design than the Pentax 12-24mm, and of course goes to a wider angle being yet more "ultra". Pretty phenomenal, actually. Its build quality is excellent. It has a quiet DC AF motor. Neither the focus collar nor the front filter threads rotate during AF, so it is fine for filters and very easy to hold. It also features a very handily-placed AF/MF switch that I find to be even better than the Pentax Quick-shift feature. It is also1/2 stop faster than the Pentax 12-24mm, and only 1/2 stop off from the very expensive new Pentax DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 (which does include WR construction). Linear distortion is virtually zero at 15mm. Edge-to-edge performance is excellent overall, with only the corners lagging behind and this only at 10mm, and then especially when wide open- but how important are corners in at least 95% of images- especially at 10mm? Then if this lens is advanced to the same 12mm as the Pentax lens and set to f/4, the corners sharpen up and it will be quite comparable anyway. Can't beat this deal.

Oops, you said you are in central Europe. It is possible a reduced price is available there also.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.
09-07-2019, 05:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Oops, you said you are in central Europe. It is possible a reduced price is available there also.
The lens is indeed currently available for under 330€ delivered (including taxes) in Germany because of a "tax free" promotion of (one of) the largest German tech shops.
09-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Pentax HD / SMC 15mm f/4.0 Limited and Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS.
the 15 is a highly coveted lens but I would prefer the faster lens unless auto focus is heavily considered

Speedlight
this one is tricky because of the variety and personal choices.....I enjoy the use of the v6ii units but have no cactus flashes.....its great to have wireless and hss capabilities......but starting with 1 flash with the idea of on camera use I would suggest a 360 / 540 or something comparable.....I use the Tamron 90 for macro work (bugs, flowers, etc) and use a 360 in manual mode

I have a knock-off grip
own the knock off grip believe from newer and I like it for the k-3ii....maybe not as nice as the oem grip for the K-1 in comparison but I can't tell much difference in use
use dekk batteries (I think) which have treated me well..... kastar batteries which are rather crappy in terms of duration
09-08-2019, 01:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took some more shots today, in low light after sunset. Most are done wide open at f/3.5 with shutter speeds around 1/15 sec. at ISO 2,500. The effects and quality have been quite wonderful. For me, having this Sigma lens on my KP beats having the size and weight of the otherwise fine Pentax DA* 15-30mm f/2.8 on a K-1 II. The only thing to watch out for is when using such a wide angle, especially in low light, finding very accurate focus is not easy due to objects in the scene if very far away being very small, so the AF sensor may not single out the exact spot you are trying for. So I have found, if shooting at say 10mm and f/3.5 wide open, first I will zoom to 20mm and focus on that object, then I will zoom back to 10mm to refocus on that same spot to confirm before taking the shot. Results have shown this to be of value. Other than that extreme situation, the AF is very good.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-08-2019 at 01:23 AM.
09-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all for answears. I think I will go with HD Pentax 15mm Limited, because of 49mm filter thread and better chance to get a good specimen. I'm planning to fill "the gap" with Sigma 17-50mm HSM in the future.
Here is the video I promised to delivered:
09-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sounds when turning the lens elements are normal. The back and forth movement of the entire lens assembly when you push in on it seems off. But I would need to double check my lens. I have a beater copy so you may want someone with a nicer example to check.