Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ESII strange mirror lock up problem

Hi,

I've got a Pentax Spotmatic F and a ESII mainly because the lenses are excellent . My Spotty F works fine but my ESII has a strange mirror lock up problem. Whenever I wind on the next frame using the frame advance lever the mirror raises and stays there blocking the viewfinder until the shutter button is pushed at which time it falls after the picture is taken, like a weird mirror lockup that I cant get rid off. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

David

09-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

recently had a similar issue with an ES.....a link to the thread which also contains a few other links and of course the helpful comments
mine is functioning very well now after the recommended 'lube' job.....still need to run film but functions with confidence!

pentax ES sticky mirror when lens is set to auto - PentaxForums.com
09-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enxdtw Quote
Hi,

I've got a Pentax Spotmatic F and a ESII mainly because the lenses are excellent . My Spotty F works fine but my ESII has a strange mirror lock up problem. Whenever I wind on the next frame using the frame advance lever the mirror raises and stays there blocking the viewfinder until the shutter button is pushed at which time it falls after the picture is taken, like a weird mirror lockup that I cant get rid off. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

David
I had this problem with a K1000. I understand it stems from the link that controls the shutter-mirror sequence. Old disintegrating foam can affect the mechanism. It may clear itself, because mine was intermittent.
09-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
Miy mirror problem is also intermittent. I will have to investigate if going from auto to manual changes anything.

09-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank's that's a helpful pointer. I took the bottom of the camera off to see if anything is amiss and noticed a small white plastic washer and small metal disk lose in the body. I think these parts somehow are related to the tripod mount (at the end of the screw somehow) but can't work out how they fit. The Spotmatic F has a totally different (and much more sensible) tripod mount. It could be that there are some more small parts to do with the tripod mount somewhere in the camera body blocking things. I will give it a thorough shake.
09-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've had this problem (mirror lockup) with a couple of spotmatics, here's the method I used to clear it:
How to Fix a Ceased/"stuck" Mirror on a Pentax ES Spotmatic: 8 Steps

I used 3-in-1 oil and have had to redo it a couple of times on one body, once you know how it's a 5-minute fix.
09-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #7

Original Poster
Nothing changes the mirror up situation and it is really fixed in position mechanically not temporarily stuck by gunge. Seems to happen 2/3rds of the time when the camera is wound on. The manual shutter also seems to fire at 1/1000 even when set to 1/50, but the automatic shutter works ok. Strange.