Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2019, 02:48 AM   #1

Nikon aperture lever plastic broken?

Not quite sure if I'm diagnosing correctly, but a piece of plastic near my aperture lever has seemed to have snapped off. It's a work camera, my best guess is that someone, somewhere down the line as fiddled with it heavy-handedly and it's caused the break.

It's making the camera to display ERR messages and sometimes the display is dim. I've got an event tomorrow and am worried that if I use the camera with its issues that it'll get worse? In order to get rid of the messages I have to take the lens off and back on again. Not good.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

I'm due to send it in for a repair quote, hoping a bit of plastic won't cost the earth...

Camera: Nikon D7200

Attached Images

09-10-2019, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by claaireeey Quote
If I was in a flippant mood, I might say "switch to Pentax" But I'm not, so I won't

Seriously, that looks to me as if one of the three bayonet "wings" that slot into the camera mount has snapped off. It will require the lens mount to be replaced.

I'd be more concerned as to why this happened... My guess would be the lens, whilst attached to the camera, hit something so that considerable lateral force was exerted on it. Is the camera mount undamaged? Worth checking. It seems like it's a plastic mount on the lens, so hopefully the camera mount is OK...
09-10-2019, 03:24 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the piece of plastic that snapped off still inside the camera body? That would be a concern.
09-10-2019, 03:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If I was in a flippant mood, I might say "switch to Pentax" But I'm not, so I won't

Seriously, that looks to me as if one of the three bayonet "wings" that slot into the camera mount has snapped off. It will require the lens mount to be replaced.

I'd be more concerned as to why this happened... My guess would be the lens, whilst attached to the camera, hit something so that considerable lateral force was exerted on it. Is the camera mount undamaged? Worth checking. It seems like it's a plastic mount on the lens, so hopefully the camera mount is OK...
Hi thanks for your reply. Yes the 'wings' you refer to sounds correct, one has snapped. The mount on the camera seems ok...? (see images). Its just the plastic on the lens that seems to be causing the issue. There is no impact, damage or scuffs on the camera, leading me to believe someone has taken the lens off, not lined up the white dots and tried to screw it back on wrong and with force. I could be incorrect, but as this is a shared camera I cannot know exactly how it's happened

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
09-10-2019, 03:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Is the piece of plastic that snapped off still inside the camera body? That would be a concern.
I've rattled the camera and no sound seems to be coming from it. And it's been working OK for a while (before I took off the lens to find it has snapped). It is a possibility though and it is worrying.
09-10-2019, 03:35 AM   #6

Original Poster

Sorry, images attached
Attached Images

09-10-2019, 03:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry, images attached
Third try!
Attached Images

09-10-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I'm due to send it in for a repair quote, hoping a bit of plastic won't cost the earth...

Camera: Nikon D7200
While the lens was on the camera, something hit the lens from the side and the force broke that part of the rear mount. It's happened to me (on a Nikon lens) and it cost around $150 at the time to fix.

The good news with plastic rear mounts is that they are lighter than their metal counterparts and when there is an impact, the lens will break, which is usually cheaper than a bent or misaligned lens mount on the camera. However, that's pretty rare and thus, getting a Nikon lens with a metal rear mount will give you peace of mind.

I wouldn't trust that lens if you had an important event or subject to shoot.

09-10-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can most likely buy an equivalent part from China on ebay if you are into DIY.
09-10-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep...new lens mount and possibly other repairs are in order.

Steve
09-11-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Not at all conversant with Autofocus Nikon (I have a Nikkormat), but it 'looks' as if the missing part of the bayonet mount may be causing misalignment of the electronic contacts. Can you try supporting the lens, when on the camera, on the opposite side to the damage, so that the contacts are pressed together, see if that provides better results ? If so, it may provide a work around for the moment. At least, if it's a Work camera, you won't have to foot the bill. Hope they're insured.
4 Days Ago   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. I'm glad I can put a name to the snapped 'part' as the bayonet. Will be sending it off this week for a quotation
4 Days Ago   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that it's a plastic mount, I wonder what model the lens is, and if it's actually worth repairing (higher end lenses typically have metal mounts). It's worth comparing the repair quote with the cost of a new or used replacement...