Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K30 LCD monitor black.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone.I recently approached again photography and bought a Pentax K30.Suddenly the display has turned off and has not been turned on again.Lighting it with the torch of my smartphone, in the dark, I can see the screens a bit and change some settings.I bought a Chinese display and waiting for it to arrive, I got a MZ50 for spare parts, so when came the display I also replaced the famous solenoid and the display.Now take the photos very well but the display doesn't turn on yet.Obviously the K30 I bought is used and the warranty will have expired from years.Has anyone had this problem and solved it?I would like to try the Chinese display (since it didn't work, I reassembled the original one) to see if it's burned out but I don't know how to do it.I hope for some of your help.
I apologise for my english.

10-14-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you are able to see with the flash of your phone, it probably means that the screen's backlight is dead. Replacing the screen should fix it (unless the problem is deeper inside, but it's unlikely). Maybe the replacement screen is broken, or not compatible? Did you check with your flash if the new screen was displaying something? Otherwise I would suggest looking for another one, for example : NEW LCD Display Screen for PENTAX K-30 K-50 k30 K50 Digital Camera Repair Part | eBay
10-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, after the LCD monitor, the display in the viewfinder has also turned off.
So I bought another K30 on Ebay, which for now works perfectly.

10-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good, I hope it will last. Keep your old K-30 for the aperture solenoid since you said you replaced it, in case this one fails, and happy shooting!

10-15-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The chinese displays work fine, I exchanged one on a K30 without any problem. It either is a connection problem (which easely happens) or ... which would be too bad, the displaydriver is damaged, then there is nothing to be done because it sits on the mainboard.
Anyway, using the solenoid of an MZ50 is not the best idea! The early non-DLSR solenoids differ slightly from the later DSLR made in Japan solenoids.

Some also have opposite polarisation (I have several of them here and checked and measured them well).
But the main problem is that something possibly got messed up anyway, possibly during the exchange of the solenoid.
My guess is that it is the linked with the flat ribbon cable and the electronics near the On/Off switch.
10-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
By now I have disassembled and reassembled the old K30 many times and I think I did some damage.I read the posts from photogem, which I thank, and I think that I may have noticed an overexposure problem sometimes, after installed MZ50 solenoid.But I used different lens, M and A series,and two lens given to my daughter by a Canadian friend along with a P30:
an IMAGE 28-70 mm and an IMAGE 70-200, and perhaps overexposure may also be due to lens.
Yesterday I shoot with DA L 18-55 and got good pictures.
10-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Obviously yesterday I shoot with new K30 original.

10-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by verona49 Quote
By now I have disassembled and reassembled the old K30 many times and I think I did some damage.I read the posts from photogem, which I thank, and I think that I may have noticed an overexposure problem sometimes, after installed MZ50 solenoid.But I used different lens, M and A series,and two lens given to my daughter by a Canadian friend along with a P30:
an IMAGE 28-70 mm and an IMAGE 70-200, and perhaps overexposure may also be due to lens.
Yesterday I shoot with DA L 18-55 and got good pictures.
With M-lenses the solenoid is not in action at all.

With A-lenses and the lens set on A it is.

Overexposure can be a symptom of the SLR MZ50 white solenoid because it has slightly less holding force than the DSLR white solenoid