Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Pentax Software with Timer

Is there a Pentax software package that has a timer (over 30 seconds) for Pentax K3 that can take multiple shots?

09-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use the camera's interval shooting feature for this. There are other solutions, but they are a little less convenient since the camera doesn't offer native tethering support.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

or use an intervalometer
09-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can use the camera's interval shooting feature for this. There are other solutions, but they are a little less convenient since the camera doesn't offer native tethering support.
It maxes out at 30s. Need longer.

---------- Post added 09-12-19 at 08:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
or use an intervalometer
I tried.... The camera sees the delay window as active. So whenever the camera is done processing the first pic, it fires off a second but only for the remaining time of the delay. When the delay time is up, it processes that pic, and then fires on whatever time is remaining on the planned window.

09-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
or use an intervalometer
QuoteOriginally posted by mic1970 Quote
I tried.... The camera sees the delay window as active. So whenever the camera is done processing the first pic, it fires off a second but only for the remaining time of the delay. When the delay time is up, it processes that pic, and then fires on whatever time is remaining on the planned window.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I have used both wired and IR wireless intervalometers with my K-3 for longer than 30s exposures. There are a few tricks. The first is to be sure of how the interval works. Most measure interval from start-to-start, (i.e. true interval, another being time + delay) so it is important to be sure that the total time to make/process the exposure is shorter than the interval between exposures. The second is to be aware of how the intervalometer manages shutter press and half-press* and how the camera is configured for "B" mode.** The third is to minimize processing time by disabling slow shutter noise reduction (record menu, tab 2). I suspect this last might partially solve your problem.

Steve

* My wired remote/intervalometer sends a half-press to wake the camera just prior to interval start; others might not.

** My wired remote/intervalometer has a strict shutter press emulation (switch thrown for full time). That works well with the K-3's default "B" mode behavior. My IR remote/intervalometer, on the other hand, sends a pulse to start and a pulse to end and works well with the K-3's type 2 setting for "B" (menu --> C1 --> 7).

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-12-2019 at 10:15 AM.
09-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It maxes out at 30s. Need longer.

---------- Post added 09-12-19 at 08:41 AM ----------

The camera's interval shooting mode is limited to 30 seconds. For consistent exposures longer than 30 seconds you need an intervalometer. I use the Velo Shutterboss on my K5ii and it works very well. There are other brands available but you need to be sure that the connector will connect to the K3. You also need to either turn off the noise reduction or ensure that the interval is at least twice as long as the exposure. Exposure is the length of time the shutter is open. Interval is the time from the beginning of one shot until the beginning of the next shot. The interval must be longer than the exposure.
09-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll look into that. Follow up question... for my canon, the next shot can start right away while the camera processes the pic. The Pentax has to wait for the camera to process the pic. Is there a way to configure the camera to start the next shot immediately while the current pic is processing? I assume no, but I thought I would ask. When collecting hours of astronomy data, that delay halves the data I can collect.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I have used both wired and IR wireless intervalometers with my K-3 for longer than 30s exposures. There are a few tricks. The first is to be sure of how the interval works. Most measure interval from start-to-start, (i.e. true interval, another being time + delay) so it is important to be sure that the total time to make/process the exposure is shorter than the interval between exposures. The second is to be aware of how the intervalometer manages shutter press and half-press* and how the camera is configured for "B" mode.** The third is to minimize processing time by disabling slow shutter noise reduction (record menu, tab 2). I suspect this last might partially solve your problem.

Steve

* My wired remote/intervalometer sends a half-press to wake the camera just prior to interval start; others might not.

** My wired remote/intervalometer has a strict shutter press emulation (switch thrown for full time). That works well with the K-3's default "B" mode behavior. My IR remote/intervalometer, on the other hand, sends a pulse to start and a pulse to end and works well with the K-3's type 2 setting for "B" (menu --> C1 --> 7).
09-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a way to configure the camera to start the next shot immediately while the current pic is processing? I assume no, but I thought I would ask.
Turn off slow shutter NR. With it off, the camera should allow back-to-back shots even while writing. I just did a short series of 1 minute exposures with a 1' 01" interval (1 second between shots) on my K-3 with no problem.

Steve

09-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

stevebrot is correct. Turn off the noise reduction. When you take a long exposure with the NR on, the camera immediately takes a second exposure equal in exposure length to the first exposure i.e. if you do a one minute exposure the camera immediately takes a second one minute exposure and processes both images in a way that reduces the noise. The camera can't take another exposure until both exposures are complete. I'm simplifying here but what NR does is, as you noted, halve the data you can collect. A one minute exposure takes two minutes, a five minute exposure takes ten minutes, etc.

The International space station and star trails. 12 five minute exposures taken with the Shutterboss on a K5ii
6 Days Ago   #10

Original Poster
So I found that two noise reduction settings. On is High-ISO and the other is slow shutter. Do I need to turn one or both off. If one, which one.
6 Days Ago   #11

So I found that two noise reduction settings. On is High-ISO and the other is slow shutter. Do I need to turn one or both off. If one, which one.
Turn off Slow Shutter NR as mentioned in the previous posts.

6 Days Ago   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The length of the interval should be: the desired time gap + the length of the exposure

So, if your shutter speed is 30 seconds and you want 20 seconds in between each shot, the interval should be 50 seconds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

6 Days Ago   #13

Original Poster
Turning off the NR fixed the timer issue also. Thanks everyone.
6 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

You can still have noise reduction with the NR turned off. When NR is on, the camera does a dark frame subtraction for each shot. (That's why a one minute exposure takes two minutes) You don't need a dark frame for each exposure. All you need is a single dark frame for that exposure length and ISO. Either before or at the end of each series of shots, put the lens cap on the lens and take a single shot at the same exposure length and ISO as the series. That will be your dark frame. That dark frame will work for every shot in that series. Whenever you change the exposure length or the ISO you'll need a single dark frame. For instance if you shoot a series at 1 minute and 3200 ISO, at the end or the beginning take a single 1 minute shot at 3200 ISO with the lens cap on. That is your dark frame. If you then change to say five minutes at 1600 ISO, you'll need another single dark frame of five minutes at 1600 ISO. (Aperture doesn't affect noise so you don't need a new dark frame when you change aperture.) There are a number of instruction videos on YouTube. Just do a search for 'dark frame subtraction'
5 Days Ago   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Turning off the NR fixed the timer issue also. Thanks everyone.
Yay!

Steve