Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #1

K50 shutter problem

I have a 4 year old K50 that has already had the inherent aperture problem repaired by Pentax (grudgingly). I now find that the shutter is locking up. It has always had a minor issue with "shutter stutter" on maybe every 20 or 30 clicks but it would eventually release if I held it down for a second or two. On my last outing, it now stutters continuously and will not release at all. I haven't associated it with battery or lens or any other aspect of the camera but it seems to cure itself after it sits for few minutes. It will work fine for maybe 20 to 30 shots and then lock up again. The problem caused me to lose some valuable shots on a recent trip to Yellowstone. After the poor customer service experience with Ricoh on the aperture problem I'm about ready to move on to something else. I've searched the internet and I don't see this problem mentioned anywhere else. Any ideas/thoughts/experiences?

09-13-2019, 03:11 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried a complete reset of the camera? That is, the battery out for several days (eg 1 week). And later using a new fully charged battery.

I had a couple of issues with my K-7 many years ago and a complete reset helped to cure it.

Hope that the trick might help you.
09-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I am hoping it's not a case of water or humidity damage to the main board. There was a thread about that happening to a Pentax KP recently I think.

My K-50 will do something similar, which is the reason it was given to me at no cost by another forum member who was basically going to bin it... But it only seems to do it when using AF lenses, and only when the humidity is pretty high. Then the shutter will open sometimes right after a picture is taken, and stay open until I press the shutter again. Since I basically got it as a backup, and as a WR body that I can take to places like the beach instead of my K-S1 which has no seals, I don't mind it at all, I'm glad to have something that works most of the time and that can be a backup or alternative to my K-S1. (I also have a K10D but that's mostly for my own fun and amusement since I love that CCD sensor, not for family related activities).

Which brings up the point that when traveling with a consumer grade camera like the K-50, which is not as sturdy as a K3 or another more pro/pro-sumer oriented body, I would always take a backup body with me.

If you don't want to invest a lot, I would say a used K-5II or K-5IIs which go for about 170-250 dollars depending on the condition, would be a great replacement. Otherwise, a K-3 or K-1 would be an even better upgrade. As much as the KP seems to be a great camera with great IQ and AF, I would not trust it as my only body, but if you got something like a KP and then a K-5II as a backup, that might work too.
09-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-3 had an issue like this that was fixed (in the same way a wound is fixed by an elastoplast) by a firmware update. Is this camera up to date?

09-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The K-3 had an issue like this that was fixed (in the same way a wound is fixed by an elastoplast) by a firmware update. Is this camera up to date?
I checked the Ricoh web page and it looks like my camera's firmware is up to date with Version 1.10. They probably updated it when I sent it back for the aperture repair about a year ago (that version came out after I bought my camera in 2015). I'm doing a cold re-set to see if that helps. The camera has never been in a wet situation so I don't think moisture is the problem. I always take a couple of small backup cameras when I travel but I've found that my wife's Iphone is as good as any, especially in low light conditions.
09-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les45 Quote
I now find that the shutter is locking up.
It has always had a minor issue with "shutter stutter"
it now stutters continuously
Not that it makes much difference, but is "stutter" the same as pushing the button with nothing happening?

If so, does it do this when auto focus is turned off?

Steve
09-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not that it makes much difference, but is "stutter" the same as pushing the button with nothing happening?

If so, does it do this when auto focus is turned off?

Steve
No, it actually makes a fast clicking sound until it finally releases. Previously it would release in a second or two but now it "stutters" continuously and does not release. I've held it for 10 seconds or more with no response. Kind of sounds like a servo noise. I haven't tried it with auto focus turned off but I will after I do the cold re-boot.
09-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

No, it actually makes a fast clicking sound until it finally releases. Previously it would release in a second or two but now it "stutters" continuously and does not release. I've held it for 10 seconds or more with no response. Kind of sounds like a servo noise. I haven't tried it with auto focus turned off but I will after I do the cold re-boot.
I agree. That sounds like an electrical/mechanical problem. Too bad it did not get fixed when you had it at Precision for the aperture control problem.

Steve

09-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
f you don't want to invest a lot, I would say a used K-5II or K-5IIs which go for about 170-250 dollars depending on the condition, would be a great replacement. Otherwise, a K-3 or K-1 would be an even better upgrade. As much as the KP seems to be a great camera with great IQ and AF, I would not trust it as my only body, but if you got something like a KP and then a K-5II as a backup, that might work too.
As I have all of these cameras, the K-5ii is among my favorites. Why? Long battery life, excellent 16mp sensor, fast IQ,great color saturation. fill in flash as needed, etc. Bought mine in December 2018 brand new old stock with the 18-55mm WR kit lens for $400.00 AN all time deal. For some reason, it simply takes great pictures. I have posted many here on the forum and they stand up well to anything else posted here. If you are a decent photographer that knows how to use his/her equipment, then it's a great value.

As for your comments on the KP. I disagree. I bought my KP last year and it is a workhorse. It is made out of magnesium alloy (except for the fill-in flash pop-up), all weather sealed, and in May, I took it on a grueling 5 day excursion through wine country in California. Worked flawlessly, was banged around and felt as solid as the K-3/ii or K-1/ii series. At about $750, it's an excellent camera. Then again, I enjoy all my Pentax bodies and they all serve a purpose.

Good luck in whatever you decide to purchase.
09-14-2019, 02:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a 4 year old K50 that has already had the inherent aperture problem repaired by Pentax (grudgingly). I now find that the shutter is locking up. It has always had a minor issue with "shutter stutter" on maybe every 20 or 30 clicks but it would eventually release if I held it down for a second or two. On my last outing, it now stutters continuously and will not release at all. I haven't associated it with battery or lens or any other aspect of the camera but it seems to cure itself after it sits for few minutes. It will work fine for maybe 20 to 30 shots and then lock up again. The problem caused me to lose some valuable shots on a recent trip to Yellowstone. After the poor customer service experience with Ricoh on the aperture problem I'm about ready to move on to something else. I've searched the internet and I don't see this problem mentioned anywhere else. Any ideas/thoughts/experiences?
Is it set to only release the shutter when in focus?

09-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Is it set to only release the shutter when in focus?
Yes, I generally keep it in Auto mode with the focus switch on AF.S.
09-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I generally keep it in Auto mode with the focus switch on AF.S.
Have you tried switching to release priority instead of focus priority?

09-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Have you tried switching to release priority instead of focus priority?
No. I'll try that after I do the cold re-set. Frankly, I probably don't use 1% of the full capability of this camera. I'm learning a lot more about it through this thread. I'm old school (flip phone) and I like the instant capability of digital but I'd really rather be using my old Spotmatic.
09-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to reply that late, but maybe it is of help:

It sounds to me that Precision caused that fault when repairing the aperture control unit (i.e. replaced the solenoid or modified it).
Check when they did the repair, usually you have warranty on such a repair. In Europe we have 1 year warranty.

What you describe here is typical for a careless solenoid repair.
09-25-2019, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Depending on which lens, the way the problem sounds to me is AF is not locking on, the camera being in the usual focus-priority mode, so the shutter will not fire due to focus not achieved. A lens that operates using the old standard screw-driven AF will make a repeating noise as it tries to attain focus. It is important to achieve focus via the half-press of the shutter button before fully pressing it to fire for the shot. If the usual multi-point AF is engaged, the camera also has to decide which AF point in the frame to use. Switching to center-only AF spot focus is most accurate so you can select a good focus area in the frame then move the camera to re-compose your shot while holding that focus with the half-press.

---------- Post added 09-25-19 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
As I have all of these cameras, the K-5ii is among my favorites. Why? Long battery life, excellent 16mp sensor, fast IQ,great color saturation. fill in flash as needed, etc. Bought mine in December 2018 brand new old stock with the 18-55mm WR kit lens for $400.00 AN all time deal. For some reason, it simply takes great pictures. I have posted many here on the forum and they stand up well to anything else posted here. If you are a decent photographer that knows how to use his/her equipment, then it's a great value.

As for your comments on the KP. I disagree. I bought my KP last year and it is a workhorse. It is made out of magnesium alloy (except for the fill-in flash pop-up), all weather sealed, and in May, I took it on a grueling 5 day excursion through wine country in California. Worked flawlessly, was banged around and felt as solid as the K-3/ii or K-1/ii series. At about $750, it's an excellent camera. Then again, I enjoy all my Pentax bodies and they all serve a purpose.

Good luck in whatever you decide to purchase.
This mirrors my experience also. I most often now shoot with my KP, and sometimes with my K-5 IIs, both bought new, the latter some years ago after the K-3 was announced, as new old stock in a closeout deal. I love both of these excellent cameras.