Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Shutter jams/shooting with 100x

Hi!
So I’m very very new to photography and 35mm but the Pentax ME is my first camera. I have found my way around it pretty well so far and taken some lovely shots. However last night I was taking shots in low light conditions (at night with fairy lots, bonfire etc) and the shutter on Auto mode kept jamming and wouldn’t unjam (even indoors!). It only unjammed once I opened the battery chamber. What does this mean??
From that point I just used the 100x setting inside and out and it worked fine. But I am wondering how these photos will come out, if it all? Sorry if this doesn’t make sense - still learning the lingo.
Thank you everyone :-)

09-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I think it means a power problem or a shutter problem. IIRC, cameras of that era, like my Pentax Super Program, have “electronically timed” shutters. They require battery power to operate, except at one mechanically timed setting, which was 125X (1/125 of a second, with ‘X’ flash sync) on my Super Program. If the battery is drained, the shutter could misoperate except when set to that one special setting. If a new battery doesn’t fix it, it might need a repair shop.

My Super Program had a button to illuminate the meter in the viewfinder at night. It was a big power hog, and could drain a battery far too quickly. If your ME has one, and you were using it, that could explain things.
09-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Have you tried fresh batteries? The 100x is a mechanical speed that needs no batteries. For everything else you need power.

Thanks,
Ismael
09-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Have you tried fresh batteries? The 100x is a mechanical speed that needs no batteries. For everything else you need power.

Thanks,
Ismael
Hi there! Yes I have. These ones are less than a week old, and the light metre was still functioning and everything.

09-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was your shutter speed/aperture during those shots. If it was low light and the shutter was staying open for a while then it can seem like it's jammed.