Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #1

Reversed Light Meter?

Hello! I am new to film, although I am not new to photography. I just purchased a Pentax Asahi Spotmatic F and it is lovely. The only thing I am a little confused about it the light meter. When I push the switch up, the light meter does not respond to any adjustments made to shutter, aperture, etc. When the switch is down, however, it responds. Is this correct or do I just have a wonky reversed light meter switch? In which case, do I keep it in the up position while not using it to help my battery last longer? Thanks!

09-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum. The Spotmatic F will open aperture meter with a Super-Multi-Coated or SMC Takumar lenses. Moving the meter switch up is not required, and may not be desirable. With earlier Super Takumar lenses you would need to use the meter switch. Keeping the lens cap on will minimise battery drain.
09-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by aphill33 Quote
In which case, do I keep it in the up position while not using it to help my battery last longer?
Do you have a copy of the user manual? You can download free from the Pentax Manuals Web site...
Pentax Manuals | M42 Manuals (Password for PDF is "Pentax")
With S-M-C and SMC Takumar lenses:
  • Slider on the lens stays in the "Auto" position
  • Meter is ON except when the lens is capped. Be sure to put the cap back on when the camera is not in use.
  • DOF preview is done using the up-down switch on the side of the lens mount area. Do not meter exposure when this switch is in the UP position.

With other than S-M-C or SMC Takumar lenses:
  • Slider on the lens may be used in both "Auto" and "Manual" positions
  • To meter, use up-down switch on the side of the lens mount to both stop the lens down and turn on the meter
  • DOF preview may be done using either the meter switch or the lens slider switch
I hope this helps.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2019 at 03:43 PM.
10-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome!

A word of caution about the Spotmatic F. The lightmeter is always on, unlike the earlier Spotmatics. There is no on/off switch for the meter.

This means that a lens cap or body cap is essential. Otherwise, the meter will constantly draw current from the battery, exhausting it very quickly.

As others have already pointed out, the slider on the lens mount merely stops the lens down for depth-of-field preview.