Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

4 out of 10 success rate

I recent;y purchased a pentax 6 x 7 which appeared to be in great working order. I am only just learning how to process film but I have found with the 4 rolls of film I have put through so far only 4 negatives are a success and show a nice well balanced image while 6 spaces are blank leaving just clear film. The last film I did a control where it was 10 shots with there same exposure and sure still enough only 4 negatives worked. Its not always the same negatives on the roll blank either. I suspected that it was a problem with my development perhaps loading a film incorrectly into the spiral tank and not allowing chemical to get to it but i feel like the negatives would be splotchy if that were the case. Could the shutter be only firing sometimes??? it sure sounds thunderous but id love to hear your advice. thanks for your help

10-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #2

It sounds to me like a problem with the camera rather than processing. Could you scan the negatives and post some examples?
10-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sticky shutter perhaps not opening? The camera might need a CLA, which would be ideal anyway because in a nice camera like that, you'd like to verify that all the light seals are in good working condition.

The thunderous sound is the mirror slap, which happens independently from the shutter.
10-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once the film has been removed from your camera, open up the back of it as if you were going to put a new spool of film in.
From here, you can fire the shutter at several different speeds and verify visually if the shutter is functioning properly.
While this won't fix your camera, it'll give you some insight as to where the problem may lie.

Since you're a new member, and I've never seen your work, please don't be offended if I suggest it may be learning error on your part.
How familiar are you with metering and exposing film? Does the metering reading you get seem to be correct? Have you verified your metering with another light-meter or camera?
I know from experience that the first roll of film I put through a films SLR looked more or less like what you are describing. In my case, it was my own lack of experience when it came to understanding exposure.

10-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It sounds to me like a problem with the camera rather than processing. Could you scan the negatives and post some examples?
Absolutely I'm going to take another roll now all with the similar angles subject and exposure. Ill process and post them. Thank you.
10-01-2019, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Once the film has been removed from your camera, open up the back of it as if you were going to put a new spool of film in.
From here, you can fire the shutter at several different speeds and verify visually if the shutter is functioning properly.
While this won't fix your camera, it'll give you some insight as to where the problem may lie.

Since you're a new member, and I've never seen your work, please don't be offended if I suggest it may be learning error on your part.
How familiar are you with metering and exposing film? Does the metering reading you get seem to be correct? Have you verified your metering with another light-meter or camera?
I know from experience that the first roll of film I put through a films SLR looked more or less like what you are describing. In my case, it was my own lack of experience when it came to understanding exposure.
Unfortunately it seems the camera will only action with a roll of film loaded. There are some hacks online to trick the camera into firing but i have had no success so far

---------- Post added 10-01-19 at 06:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote

No offence taken at all. Im very new to this and won't rule anything out at this stage. I use a light metered prism in camera and have checked against a phone app. My feeling is it is unlikely as the last 10 shots I did was all the same subject sitting on a stool in the same way still only 4 shots on the roll came out. I'm going to do another test today. Thanks heaps for the help I am in love with this camera and the process. I hope I can forge on soon knkwing my whole role will be there.