Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2019, 04:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 flash - photo underexposed

I am learning how to use my secondhand K-3 so I am looking for help with the flash, please.

I selected P on the mode dial and activated the camera's flash; the shots were underexposed.

I was testing the camera to understand it. I wanted to control the aperture for d-o-f. The manual notes that auto flash is available for the green mode (on the dial), but not with P. With mode X the flash worked as I wanted, exposing correctly.

Are green mode and X the only modes for full flash exposure?
With an external flash, could I use P.
Ta.

10-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Select the flash mode "Flash On" not "Auto Flash Discharge" The flash should now work in any mode except green mode.

If you want to control aperture you could use Av mode. The shutter speed will be limited to the sync speed 1/180.
10-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sausages Quote
I am learning how to use my secondhand K-3 so I am looking for help with the flash, please.

I selected P on the mode dial and activated the camera's flash; the shots were underexposed.

I was testing the camera to understand it. I wanted to control the aperture for d-o-f. The manual notes that auto flash is available for the green mode (on the dial), but not with P. With mode X the flash worked as I wanted, exposing correctly.

Are green mode and X the only modes for full flash exposure?
With an external flash, could I use P.
Ta.
Its possible that in P mode, your shutter was jumping above the sync speed -- worst case scenario, you don't have a P-TTL flash and so it didn't fire at all. If you did use P-TTL and it had HSS on, then your shutter could be so high as to limit the effectivness of the flash. The higher the shutter, the more flash power you lose.

In X mode, the camera is limited to the sync speed, so the flash has no problem working everytime.
10-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

P-TTL auto flash works in all exposure modes on your camera* (green, P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, B**, and X) and provides on-body auto flash for all but two flash modes, those being M(manual) and Wireless(Controller). M (Manual) flash always fires full strength, while Wireless (Controller) does not contribute significantly to the actual exposure. Check to make sure your flash is not set for Wireless (Controller).

That corner case aside, if you have underexposed shots either the aperture is set too narrow and/or the ISO set too low for the subject distance. The onboard flash is fairly weak, though using P with ISO set to auto and flash set to "ON" at a distance less than 6 meters will usually work well.

Steve

* I think you may have misunderstood the manual.

** Yes, strangely enough.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-04-2019 at 11:40 AM.
10-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also forgot to note that flash exposure may be set to be both more or less than normal. Check that (lightning icon)+/- for the flash setting is not set to other than zero. I also forgot to mention that auto flash is not available when using the aperture ring on the lens (when present).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-04-2019 at 11:39 AM.
10-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF. I'd suggest you look at the excellent guide published by one of our members, @mcgregni - Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
M (Manual) flash always fires full strength
Just one qualification to this Steve. The output of the popup flash on the K-3 can be varied in Manual Flash Discharge mode between full (1/1) and 1/128. This doesn't work when the camera is in Green mode, but works in the other shooting modes.

Note that the Manual Flash Discharge function in the camera does not control the output of an external flash. Manual output settings then need to be controlled on the flash (or trigger, as the case may be).
10-04-2019, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Just one qualification to this Steve. The output of the popup flash on the K-3 can be varied in Manual Flash Discharge mode between full (1/1) and 1/128. This doesn't work when the camera is in Green mode, but works in the other shooting modes.

Note that the Manual Flash Discharge function in the camera does not control the output of an external flash. Manual output settings then need to be controlled on the flash (or trigger, as the case may be).
Good points! Thanks for adding what I forgot!

Steve

10-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your help. You have provided some really good points for me to check.
To answer Peter and Steve, I had selected the first flash option(on) with mode P on a DAL18-55. This icon does not have the small A for auto on the screen when used with P, which made me think yesterday that there might be a manual aspect to it .
I had read the addendum to the flash guide. It is comprehensive and I think I will have to re-visit both it and the original.
I tried the built-in flash again with mode P before replying and took some shots at 4ft with ISO 100 in a dim room which were fine. The previous exposures were at about 7ft with ISO 100. Given this, I suspect that I must have altered a setting without noticing, but at least with your replies I know what to look out for.

Thanks again,
Rob
10-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To answer Peter and Steve, I had selected the first flash option(on) with mode P on a DAL18-55. This icon does not have the small A for auto on the screen when used with P, which made me think yesterday that there might be a manual aspect to it
The "auto" in "Auto Flash Discharge" relates to whether the camera can choose to use the flash or not. It does not relate to how the flash is used. Place the setting to "flash on" and the flash will operate in P-TTL mode (ie camera will determine how much flash to use). You need to flace the control in "Manual Flash Discharge" for power output to be manually controlled by you.

took some shots at 4ft with ISO 100 in a dim room which were fine. The previous exposures were at about 7ft with ISO 100
Your built in flash should be good for a range of 0.7 metres - 5.0 metres. Try some test shots and post some pictures if you get further problems. It may be down to technique
10-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

New to digital with flash

Nice suggestions for your original poster.
I am new to digital and using flash with this type of camera. I was of the opinion that things were easier with digital because the camera did it all.
I have a LOT to learn as I am finding that the learning curve is as steep if not more so with digital.
During my film days the only feedback came after a few hours in the dark room with the chemicals and photo paper.
At least we get immediate results to look at with the digital cameras,

My question is is there an easy way to start with flash and digital?
10-28-2019, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qualla Quote
Nice suggestions for your original poster.
I am new to digital and using flash with this type of camera. I was of the opinion that things were easier with digital because the camera did it all.
I have a LOT to learn as I am finding that the learning curve is as steep if not more so with digital.
During my film days the only feedback came after a few hours in the dark room with the chemicals and photo paper.
At least we get immediate results to look at with the digital cameras,

My question is is there an easy way to start with flash and digital?
Easiest way would be to just use TTL modes (green, AV, TV, possibly TaV).
This way, the flash will discharge according to what the camera reads Through The Lens (TTL) to get at least a ballpark exposure.
I think where the difference is between the Film days of flash and now days with digital is that digital generally foregoes the auto thyrister which would allow the flash to determine it's own exposure value.
Digital relies on the metering from the camera through the lens, the camera then tells the flash how to fire (duration).
Other than that, nothing has changed if shooting manually. Aperture still controls the amount of flash lighting that gets into the image and shutter speed controls how much ambient light gets into the image.
ISO still controls both (makes the sensor more or less sensitive to the illumination and ambient lighting).