Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're welcome, Sooner Caniac!

I did come across this older thread on searching this forum: Random overexposure with K-3 and HD 16-85 - PentaxForums.com. Slightly different problem, I think, but the suggestions on this thread got me to try the contact cleaning fix and to play with the aperture control lever. I tried the contact cleaning fix with no luck. I tried the 16-85 on my K-S2. Same result as I got on my KP. Other lenses worked fine on my KP. I knew it had to be the lens, but it wasn't 'til I played with the aperture lever (to see if it was stiff or sticking, as suggested in the linked thread) that I discovered that it was completely loose, with no snappy, spring action at all. So, off it went. Have you checked your 16-85's aperture lever? Give that a test and see how it responds. The diaphragm should open up freely when you move the actuator and snap back on its own when you release it. Mine had lost that snap, which is what made me realize that there was indeed something wrong inside. If there is anything wrong with yours, getting it looked at professionally before it's out of warranty will be a lot cheaper! Mikesbike's suggestion is a good one.

10-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #17

Excellent advice Thagomizer and mikesbike; I love this community!

I didn't even think to check the aperture lever Thagomizer; I will do this when I get home from work. That thread you shared is extremely insightful as well; I sure hope it isn't my K-3 (sort of hoping I could hold out until the new body hits the streets). While I haven't noticed it on any other lens, since I purchased my 16-85mm it's on the K-3 the majority of the time so it may be hard for me to catch the problem with another lens if it is this random. I will start paying more attention for sure.

Mikesbike, yeah you are right, no visible dirt came off the contacts. Since Thagomizer mentioned it, I wonder if it wasn't cleaning the contacts that "fixed" the problem, but hitting the aperture lever while cleaning the contacts that "unstuck" it. I completely agree a call to Ricoh is in order. I'll try to keep this thread updated if I learn anything.

You guys rock!
10-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
always check the lever
10-10-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
always check the lever
And don't cross the streams!

10-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #20

Sure enough Thagomizer, whatever "spring" the aperture control lever had once I'd knocked it while cleaning the contacts finally gave way for good on my last outing and now the lever is completely loose. It's wide open shooting or nothing at all.

It too is going in for warranty service. I'll let everyone know how I fare. Hopefully optically it comes back as I sent it in because I am pleased with my copy. I'm gonna miss it while it's away!

Thanks again,
SC
10-24-2019, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SoonerCaniac Quote
Sure enough Thagomizer, whatever "spring" the aperture control lever had once I'd knocked it while cleaning the contacts finally gave way for good on my last outing and now the lever is completely loose. It's wide open shooting or nothing at all.

It too is going in for warranty service. I'll let everyone know how I fare. Hopefully optically it comes back as I sent it in because I am pleased with my copy. I'm gonna miss it while it's away!

Thanks again,
SC
You're welcome, and good luck with your repair. Still waiting the return of mine. In the meantime, I've reacquainted myself with some lenses I haven't used as much since I got the 16-85. It's been instructive and fun! Silver lining!
11-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
You're welcome, and good luck with your repair. Still waiting the return of mine. In the meantime, I've reacquainted myself with some lenses I haven't used as much since I got the 16-85. It's been instructive and fun! Silver lining!
I took my first family hiking trip without the 16-85 since last year, reverting back to my old reliable Tamron 17-50 as my primary lens. An excellent lens in its own right with great image quality, but I missed the extra reach and, yes, AF performance of my 16-85.

My lens's status is "Received" and it's been that way for two weeks now. Would sure like to see it move to "In Repair". Are you still waiting for yours? Cheers!

11-12-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Funny you should ask! My 16-85 came back yesterday from warranty repair. The aperture tab is back to its spring, snappy self. After some initial hesitation, AF seems to be fine. Thank you Sun Camera Repair! AF ended up working fine in low light on my way home from work. I'll post my dark, night-time snowy test shots soon!

Last edited by Thagomizer; 11-12-2019 at 11:01 AM.
11-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Funny you should ask! My 16-85 came back yesterday from warranty repair. The aperture tab is back to its spring, snappy self. After some initial hesitation, AF seems to be fine. Thank you Sun Camera Repair! AF ended up working fine in low light on my way home from work. I'll post my dark, night-time snowy test shots soon!
Oh, excellent news indeed! Happy snapping! Looking forward to seeing some snow photos; I'm a snow man for sure!

My repair went to Precision Camera in Connecticut. We shall see how I fare. I planned for the lens to be gone for many weeks, but I would like to see some progress soon. Like you said, you work with what you have.
11-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #25

Repair Status Update

I called Precision Camera today after getting a bit impatient with the lack of a status update. A very nice lady told me the lens was shipped to Ricoh in Japan for repair and that it would probably be another few weeks before it is sent back to Precision and then mailed back to me. I don't mind the wait, but it would be nice if Precision Camera would send some sort of update if the lens has to be mailed overseas. Oh well.

Maybe I'll have it back by Christmas.

Cheers!
11-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I called Precision Camera today after getting a bit impatient with the lack of a status update. A very nice lady told me the lens was shipped to Ricoh in Japan for repair and that it would probably be another few weeks before it is sent back to Precision and then mailed back to me. I don't mind the wait, but it would be nice if Precision Camera would send some sort of update if the lens has to be mailed overseas. Oh well.

Cheers!
Good luck!
11-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers!
I have had to call to get status, but they have been good about.it. I'd say rest well though - going to Japan means it should come back just the way you want it, and worth the wait.
11-30-2019, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I have had to call to get status, but they have been good about.it. I'd say rest well though - going to Japan means it should come back just the way you want it, and worth the wait.
Thank you Click; I miss it but your advice is spot on. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
01-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #29

Got my lens back! Woohoo!!! Everything looks great, can't wait to start shooting again!

Thanks again for everyone's help!
SC
01-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got my lens back! Woohoo!!! Everything looks great, can't wait to start shooting again!

Thanks again for everyone's help!
SC
Excellent!