Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

16-85 troubles

Well, my 16-85 off to the shop for repair. I'd been having some overexposure issues. Turns out the aperture return spring (if that's what it's called) is disconnected or shot; the aperture lever moves freely and with no resistance when it's off the camera, so I've probably been doing a lot of unintended wide-open shooting without realizing it! AF was starting to be intermittently hesitant and indecisive, too. It's still under warranty, so that's good. I hope it comes back soon, as it's my workhorse. Until then, I'll be giving my other lenses a turn or two.

Has anyone else seen or heard of these issues with this lens? Just curious.

10-09-2019, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I bought my 16-85 used in like new condition 2 years ago. I have not had any problems with my copy. It is my workhorse lens. From everything I have seen posted about this lens yours may be an isolated issue. I hope you get your repair done quickly and completely so you can get back to using it.
10-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
It's still under warranty, so that's good.
At least a little luck under the cricumstances.
On the bright side a little variety in your chosen lens, even a forced one, might open up new paths for your photography.
10-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
On the bright side a little variety in your chosen lens, even a forced one, might open up new paths for your photography.
Quite true! I'll take my silver linings where I can find them!

Last edited by Thagomizer; 10-09-2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: speeling!
10-09-2019, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
At least a little luck under the cricumstances.
As Brian said: Always look on the bright side of life!
10-09-2019, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
As Brian said: Always look on the bright side of life!
Well, I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition....
10-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had an internal screw come loose in the 16-85 a couple of years ago. It got into the zooming mechanism and partially jammed it. It was already out of warranty, but the Australian Pentax agents CRK fixed it free of charge anyway. No problems since.

10-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I had an internal screw come loose in the 16-85 a couple of years ago. It got into the zooming mechanism and partially jammed it. It was already out of warranty, but the Australian Pentax agents CRK fixed it free of charge anyway. No problems since.
That's excellent customer service, glad to hear it.
10-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Well, I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition....
The romans are to blame in Brians case.

But rewatching Mel Brooks "History of the World" might be fun too.
10-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a Pentax 16-85 and have never had any difficulty with it. It is an excellent lens (image quality/performance/build/style). I currently have it on my Pentax K-3 II.
10-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one that locked up in the zoom range around the 40mm mark. It was fixed under warranty, but took a trip to Pentax in Japan to do the work (handled by Precision without issue).
10-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

I like it alot

and have had zero problems with it
10-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

I like it alot

and have had zero problems with it
ditto
10-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #14

Thank you for starting this thread Thagomizer. I absolutely adore my 16-85mm. It is a fantastic lens that I got on rebate at B&H and personally I think it is a tremendous value, underappreciated even at full retail. I appreciate it even more now that the Fuji 16-80mm is being delivered and Fuji fans are underwhelmed. Admittedly, I have contemplated switching to Fuji but the 16-85 has reaffirmed my loyalty to Pentax.

Nevertheless, I too just had some strange behavior with my 16-85mm aperture. I was at the end of a long day of hiking with the family and was getting some final shots of the kiddos when apparently the blades somehow got stuck wide open because I was blowing out my images even if the camera said I was stopped all the way down. I did switch to my 8-16mm for a few earlier shots, but it wasn't an unusually dusty day and I've never had any problems before.

When I got home I put on a couple of different lenses for test shots and the aperture settings worked as intended. I reattached the 16-85 and had the same problems. So, I cleaned the contacts on the camera and the 16-85 and voila, the lens starting working again. I just completed another long day outdoors with the kids and didn't have any problems using the 16-85 exclusively.

My concern is that I've never had to clean the contacts on any of my lenses to fix erratic behavior. My issues with the 16-85 are the first I've ever experienced. My warranty expires in two months so I am wondering if I should send it in for inspection. I was going to call Ricoh USA and see if I can get some advice, because I am a bit concerned that my problem goes beyond dirty contacts (especially since I am pretty particular about keeping my equipment clean anyway). Admittedly, my K-3 is getting on in age and has been with me for five years so perhaps it could be a camera issue, but evidence suggests the lens.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate your time. Thank you in advance Thagomizer for letting me piggyback off of your thread.

Cheers!
10-10-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SoonerCaniac Quote
Thank you for starting this thread Thagomizer. I absolutely adore my 16-85mm. It is a fantastic lens that I got on rebate at B&H and personally I think it is a tremendous value, underappreciated even at full retail. I appreciate it even more now that the Fuji 16-80mm is being delivered and Fuji fans are underwhelmed. Admittedly, I have contemplated switching to Fuji but the 16-85 has reaffirmed my loyalty to Pentax.

Nevertheless, I too just had some strange behavior with my 16-85mm aperture. I was at the end of a long day of hiking with the family and was getting some final shots of the kiddos when apparently the blades somehow got stuck wide open because I was blowing out my images even if the camera said I was stopped all the way down. I did switch to my 8-16mm for a few earlier shots, but it wasn't an unusually dusty day and I've never had any problems before.

When I got home I put on a couple of different lenses for test shots and the aperture settings worked as intended. I reattached the 16-85 and had the same problems. So, I cleaned the contacts on the camera and the 16-85 and voila, the lens starting working again. I just completed another long day outdoors with the kids and didn't have any problems using the 16-85 exclusively.

My concern is that I've never had to clean the contacts on any of my lenses to fix erratic behavior. My issues with the 16-85 are the first I've ever experienced. My warranty expires in two months so I am wondering if I should send it in for inspection. I was going to call Ricoh USA and see if I can get some advice, because I am a bit concerned that my problem goes beyond dirty contacts (especially since I am pretty particular about keeping my equipment clean anyway). Admittedly, my K-3 is getting on in age and has been with me for five years so perhaps it could be a camera issue, but evidence suggests the lens.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate your time. Thank you in advance Thagomizer for letting me piggyback off of your thread.

Cheers!
Especially if you cleaned the lens contacts but no visible dirt came off onto the cloth. I would definitely recommend the inspection in any case. It would not hurt, and also a record made that a problem had presented itself at this time before the warranty expiration.