Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #1

KX flash

Greetings all,

I’m new here, after searching I can’t really find what I’m after.

I have a Pentax kx and a small studio set up with continuous lighting for portraits and head shots. I’m looking for a flash/speed light to use during shoots. But I don’t have the money for the Pentax ones.

Any suggestions of cheap and cheerful external flashes wired or wireless that won’t blow my camera up?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

10-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used this site in the past when looking at old flashes to make sure they won't fry my camera. When I bought my Kx I used an old Pentax flash and it worked fine.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

QuoteOriginally posted by Mickytelfotd Quote
Greetings all,

I’m new here, after searching I can’t really find what I’m after.

I have a Pentax kx and a small studio set up with continuous lighting for portraits and head shots. I’m looking for a flash/speed light to use during shoots. But I don’t have the money for the Pentax ones.

Any suggestions of cheap and cheerful external flashes wired or wireless that won’t blow my camera up?

Thanks in advance

Stephen
10-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forums! The KX and k-x are two very different Pentax cameras. I'm assuming you have the k-x.

Years ago I wouldn't touch an inexpensive made-in-China flash, but over the last few years there have been some very nice, inexpensive flashes made. I have the 360 and 540 (first versions), but I have a few manual Yongnuo flashes that are fantastic. I bought 15 inexpensive Godox TT520II flashes last year and they have worked well (one has a few issues after light use, but that's not bad out of 15 $35 flashes). The Yongnuos have better build quality (and are about double the price), but the Godox flashes have built-in wireless recievers and they each came with a hot shoe transmitter.
10-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #4

Just about any of the old Sunpak xxxD series flashes will be safe to use on Pentax gear. The 4xxDs are my favorites. It isn't necessary to find them dedicated to Pentax but it is nice to have. Use either the built in auto sensor or in manual mode. Since you are shooting in a studio I'm guessing you'll either be using a hand-held flash meter or know how to calculate the f-stop from the GN, distance and power setting.

10-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you need a good p-ttl, the first-gen af360 is often a good value used.

That would be more of an out of studio option, however, unless you’re using optical triggers (or more Pentax flashes...)

-Eric
10-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Welcome to the Forums! The KX and k-x are two very different Pentax cameras. I'm assuming you have the k-x.

Years ago I wouldn't touch an inexpensive made-in-China flash, but over the last few years there have been some very nice, inexpensive flashes made. I have the 360 and 540 (first versions), but I have a few manual Yongnuo flashes that are fantastic. I bought 15 inexpensive Godox TT520II flashes last year and they have worked well (one has a few issues after light use, but that's not bad out of 15 $35 flashes). The Yongnuos have better build quality (and are about double the price), but the Godox flashes have built-in wireless recievers and they each came with a hot shoe transmitter.
I agree.