Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #1

Dropped Lens- How to check?

Hello,

So today I made a very silly mistake. While sorting through the lenses I'm taking out for a walk, I accidentally placed one too close to the edge of the bed and with a bump my DFA 15-30 rolled off the edge and landed ~2 feet onto the wooden floor with a loud sound. It had both caps on, and fortunately upon a quick inspection I didn't see any visible damage to the lens. I quickly tested the lens and as far as I can tell everything seems to be in order. It zooms fine, The camera doesn't seem to be picking up any weird readings, and things seem to focus as far as I can tell. There is a little rattling sound when I shake but honestly I don't know if it was there before or not. While I hope I just got extremely lucky and nothing was damaged, is there a way I can properly check its function for any misaligned elements? I've heard taking a picture of a brick but as weird as it is the city I'm in doesn't have much that I can quickly find (Seriously). Also with it being a wide lens I'm a little concerned about my ability to tell the natural warping of the image due to it's wide view vs actual damage.

Is there a standard procedure for checking for possible internal damage?
I'm aware there has been threads regarding dropped lenses but they all mention visible damage but I really didn't spot any on mine.

Thanks in advance.

10-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my thoughts

check the filter threads for damage and see if you can fit a filter if you have one

don't shake the lens any more

carefully work the focus manually and auto focus, preferably in a quiet room so you can listen carefully

any difference after the fall ?

take photos at different focal length

if you can, target an object similar to a brick's complexity, fine details, look at failure to capture details or distortion not usual for the lens

look at whether you lens work as noted in the in depth review
QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR
Introduction
With the launch of the K-1 full frame camera, Pentax released three constant aperture lenses covering a large range, from ultra-wide to telephoto.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
check the filter threads for damage and see if you can fit a filter if you have one
]
The DFA 15-30 has no filter threads.
10-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The DFA 15-30 has no filter threads.
oops

10-12-2019, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was the floor OK? The 15-30 is a heavy beast ;-)

Do you have any shots you can repeat, eg test shots you may have taken when you first bought The Beast to compare with?
10-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

After checking the outside and the internals with a flashlight check autofocus first. It should work and focus correctly in the center. Then check the corners of a precisely focused image with wide open aperture. A brick wall from 1-5m would be ideal for testing... The corners should be equally unsharp/sharp. Test it with zooming to 15mm, 30mm and to about 22mm. Test the lens stoped down to F4 and to F5.6, the focus can shift at lower apertures. The lens should not make any weird sound. I think if its all ok, that is satisfying.
10-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I would suggest trying to reproduce, as closely as possible, a few shots you've taken with it previously at a variety of focal lengths and apertures. If you can't tell the difference, stop worrying.

10-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've dropped a few lenses in my day. Usually, they're no worse for the wear. However, a couple of drops totaled the lens (Sigma are you listening?).

In each damaged case, the sudden impact cracked/splintered the glass in one or more internal elements.

To check for such damage use a flashlight and some type of magnifier. Inspect each lens element (from both ends) looking for cracks or pieces of glass debris on the glass optical elements. You'll usually see the glass debris on the outer edges of the glass (where it attaches to the lens barrel).

Look for little "sliver like" pieces of glass (tiny/short glass hairs). Sometimes you'll even see small chunks of glass.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
10-12-2019, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plenty of good advice here already. I don't have this particular lens but the rattle may just be the normal aperture mechanism (as most lenses do).

Assuming Zoom, AF and manual focus are is all operating fine, then I would check out the optical side of the lens (as its possible to dislodge or move a lens element. Assuming there are no signs of damage to the elements when you look through the lens, take some photos and have a look the results. A flat surface, like a brick wall, can be useful to gauge the sharpness across the frame. There are plenty of guides in the forums and the internet generally on what to look for, but its likely if somethings damaged you will notice it.

These things are built pretty solidly, so hopefully its fine - good luck!
10-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fobbo Quote
Hello,
There is a little rattling sound when I shake but honestly I don't know if it was there before or not.
Yes, it's normal.
10-13-2019, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Fobbo Quote
Dropped Lens- How to check?
To be honest... take a few pictures and they look OK it's all good.

Don't get too wrapped around the axle with all this testing malarky, it fails later then get it fixed.
10-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lucky you, it seems your lens is fine.
10-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Was the floor OK? The 15-30 is a heavy beast ;-)
That lens would break a toe bone or two quite easily.
10-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #14
Forum Member

As others have said. Use it and see what happens.
02-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #15
Forum Member

So what happened with this?? I'm curious because mine also took a tumble today, from about 2-2.5 feet while inside a padded camera bag. The lens cap on mine is cracked but the glass seems okay, however I suspect the aperture mechanism is not working properly. It doesn't seem to move much when I adjust it.