Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SDM error in the /Body/ of K200D?

I have a K200D which seems unable to use SDM lenses. Those same lenses work just fine on my K100D-s. Is it possible to have an SDM failure in-camera?

The deal: most of my lenses are screw-drive AF, but I have three that are not. My Pentax DA* 50–135mm is SDM, Sigma DC 17-50mm is HSM, and Pentax DA 18–50mm is DC motor. All three lenses mount cleanly and focus quietly on my K100D-s. I realize the DA* 50–135mm is particularly notorious for having SDM failure, but I have no problems—so long as I keep it on my K100D-s.

When I mount any of these "silent focus" lenses on my K200D, the camera makes a repetitive click-click-click-click sound. I cannot use any menus or functions. As soon as I press "menu" or "Fn," the screen instantly turns off and the camera returns to shooting mode. It is as if someone were tapping her finger tap-tap-tap-tap halfway on the shutter button. I cannot even use these lenses in manual focus mode on the K200D. When I set the K200D to "manual" focus (and/or switch the Sigma DC to "manual" focus), the click-click-click continues.

I get nervous with the click-click-click because the last thing I want to do is to fry the lens motors due to some camera error.

The two little gold contacts in the K200D are clean and springy. They look and feel just like those on my K100D-s. Both cameras do just fine with my screw-drive Pentax FA 50mm and my screw-drive DA 10–17mm.

So, can it be that the lens motors are fine, but that my K200D is just slightly broken so that I can't use my high-end lenses on it?

If so, can I set things to screw-drive for the K200D but keep the SDM option for my K100D-s?

Thank you in advance

10-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is obviously something with your K200D that is amiss, since the lens works fine on your K100D-s. The K200D normally works beautifully with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 as I know having bought this lens some 10 years back for use with my then new K200D. The only suggestion I can think of, not being deeply into the technical aspects of DSLR operation, is clean the contacts on and just within the camera's lens mount. Perhaps they look clean but have developed some kind of film on them. Others might have specifics regarding which cleaning agents would be most effective.
10-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you both.

I've cleaned all of the lens-mount contacts on my K200D (I don't have the K20D) with rubbing alcohol. The screw drive pin springs up and retracts as I toggle between AF /MF on the body switch. The K200D continues to focus my DA 10–17mm, and I have experienced no problems with manual touch-up focus while this lens is set to AF mode (I'm not sure if my 18–55mm kit lens supports full-time manual focus adjustment, but I know my fish-eye does, and it works fine).

There are dozens, maybe even a hundred, threads about what to do when SDM stops working on a lens, but nobody seems to know what to do when SDM stops working on a camera.

I find myself in the odd situation of having to go back to my backup camera to use my "pro" lenses.
10-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What batteries do you use in each?

10-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Both the K200D and the K100D-s take AA batteries. I use Energizer NiMH 2300 mAh cells.

You think high(er) voltage Lithium batteries would help kick-start the lens motor?
10-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Both the K200D and the K100D-s take AA batteries. I use Energizer NiMH 2300 mAh cells.

You think high(er) voltage Lithium batteries would help kick-start the lens motor?
No, I was curious if there was any difference. Sometimes low batteries can cause weird issues.
10-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

Did you try updating the firmware on the K200D?

You say normal screwdrive AF lenses work ok on the K200D? The clicking comes from inside the camera correct? It appears to me that a clutch or something is trying to disengage and the camera goes into a failure mode.

@UncleVanya is an expert on the SDM conversion. Is it possible to restore the original firmware to a converted lens? Would the body still click with a converted lens? If you are willing to risk it, perhaps a converted lens will get the body past the failure mode, clearing the problem and you can restore the lens to its original functionality. Just a thought (and perhaps a bad one).

10-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the lens perform well when used with your K-S2? Just wondering- I also have a K-S2 and regard it as a better overall camera design than the K200D.
10-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Does the lens perform well when used with your K-S2? Just wondering- I also have a K-S2 and regard it as a better overall camera design than the K200D.
My lenses work just fine on the K-S2. So this isn't a huge problem for me. It just means I can't sell or donate my K100D-s as I was planning to, because the K200D is not a fully-capable backup.

The K200D is my "work camera" meaning I keep it in the office to do boring photography relating to my job. The kit lens (screw drive) is fine for most of that. Last week, my boss cleared some room in the warehouse so I could drape a white sheet and do some higher-quality product photography. I brought in my fancy star lens and my Sigma lens, told the warehouse crew how great it was going to be, and…nope. click-click-click error. I took all my product shots with the kit lens at ISO 1600, and everybody moved on. My K200D had never met my fancy lenses until then, and I guess they won't be working together in the future, either. If I were a "real" product photographer, the situation would be intolerable, but as it is I'll manage.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Did you try updating the firmware on the K200D?
My K200D has up-to-date firmware; it's running 1.01.

Because I rarely need pro-level glass at work with my K200D, and because all of my lenses work just fine with my K-S2 and my K100D-s, I'm hesitant to do any major electronic surgery on my K200D. I was hoping there was some hidden metal contact I could clean or some weird menu option I hadn't selected.
10-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most unusual part of the problem is that you tried such different lens types. The camera knows the 50-135 is an SDM lens and is trying to use the SDM contacts. This detection system doesn't use the SDM contacts. When people started to have SDM motor failure, everyone tried taping over the SDM contacts to trick the lens into using screwdrive, which didn't work. I think your camera must have a problem with the contacts. The batteries are another outside possibility, maybe even just the battery contacts being slightly dirty. I have a finicky SDM lens that really likes a fresh fully charged battery. But this behavior doesn't affect my DC lens, so I'm not convinced fully on the battery.

The way the contacts are inside the lens mount and their function is poorly documented to us ordinary folk, I'd poke around a little but I don't think I'd take the camera apart.
10-16-2019, 02:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A used K200D is that cheap to buy that any effort trying to repair it seems useless to me.

Your bad K200D will be a good donor for 2 white Japan solenoids! One you should keep in case your K-S2 needs one.
The other one you can sell on ebay for around US$ 40.

The other parts of your K200D you keep for spares, because the K200D is very easy to disassemble.
Then you can sell your K100D
10-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
A used K200D is that cheap to buy that any effort trying to repair it seems useless to me.

Your bad K200D will be a good donor for 2 white Japan solenoids! One you should keep in case your K-S2 needs one.
The other one you can sell on ebay for around US$ 40.

The other parts of your K200D you keep for spares, because the K200D is very easy to disassemble.
Then you can sell your K100D
Yikes! No way. I don't want to go back to having just one DSLR body. It was a pain to bike to work with a camera each day. I far prefer keeping one at the office for work assignments, even if my work camera can't use SDM lenses.

**edit: Wait, I just re-read and I think you mean I should buy a replacement K200D on eBay and then retire/disassemble my current K200D. So I would still have a camera at both places: home and work. That's not a bad idea. For sure it'd be cheaper than repairing a 2009-era camera that mostly takes photos of new employees and damaged inventory.

Last edited by PocketPixels; 10-16-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: re-read post and wanted to clarify.
10-16-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
**edit: Wait, I just re-read and I think you mean I should buy a replacement K200D on eBay and then retire/disassemble my current K200D. So I would still have a camera at both places: home and work. That's not a bad idea. For sure it'd be cheaper than repairing a 2009-era camera that mostly takes photos of new employees and damaged inventory.
That was my suggestion.

The K200D is a workhorse, very sturdy.
But remember: The K10D, allthough that bit larger, is also that bit better.
I still have mine in use, equipped with a Katzeye split-image focusing-screen and still works very well.
But none of your K200D parts can serve for spare parts, nevertheless, the K10D is a different league, it was the top Pentax in its days.

Last edited by photogem; 10-16-2019 at 01:27 PM.
10-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
Forum Member

Definitely try eBay for another 200d. Chances of the repair being cheaper is HIGHLY unlikely. That's even IF the parts are in stock
11-12-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update:

Bought a second K200D on eBay for about $130, shutter count 3500 (!) So basically new. It works perfectly. I can now confirm that whatever is going on with my old K200D is specific to the camera. Because my DA* 50–135mm works quietly and quickly on my "new" K200D, and causes inoperable errors on my old K200D. Same AA NiMH batteries, same lens, no clue.

I love the AA batteries and the top-side LCD of the K200D, so I'm glad to have a full-functioning model. Of course my K-S2 is the superior camera…even though in a perfect world it, too, would have a top LCD.

Thank you all for chiming in with tips and ideas. It's good to know I wasn't crazy.

I gave the K100D-Super to a friend who is just getting started in photography. Got rid of a kit lens and my 50mm A 1.7 that wasn't getting any use. She was delighted to get it. It's a fine starter camera. Maybe we'll get another Pentaxian.

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
That was my suggestion.

The K200D is a workhorse, very sturdy.
But remember: The K10D, allthough that bit larger, is also that bit better.
I still have mine in use, equipped with a Katzeye split-image focusing-screen and still works very well.
But none of your K200D parts can serve for spare parts, nevertheless, the K10D is a different league, it was the top Pentax in its days.