Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need advice please is my lens faulty what is causing the coloured circles.

I have taken a few photos now with this lens and every so often I get this kind of result. now I Know I'm shooting straight into the sun on this one but even when not directly into the sun I have had this effect. There is probably something on the forum already on this effect but I don't know what its called so any enlightenment on how to minimise it would be much appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
10-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Called lens flare, even the most modern lenses can get it when shooting into the sun. Aomw people use it for the artistic effect, but it is one of the things they test lenses for here. Some of the more experienced folks can give you a better explanation, but it is flare.
10-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Completely normal when facing the sun. You may be able to avoid it with a hood and looking for the right angle.
10-15-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Completely normal when facing the sun. You may be able to avoid it with a hood and looking for the right angle.
I did use a hood on this shot, didn't actually see it on the K70 screen when looking back at the photo only seen it when I uploaded to the computer.
Its good to know its not the lens but just good old user error.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2019 at 02:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Called lens flare, even the most modern lenses can get it when shooting into the sun. Aomw people use it for the artistic effect, but it is one of the things they test lenses for here. Some of the more experienced folks can give you a better explanation, but it is flare.
Thanks I really like this lens and was a bit worried it might be a faulty lens. I can now search for lens flare and learn some more.

10-15-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that's lens flare. It's caused by light from a strong source - in this case, an incredibly bright sun - bouncing off internal surfaces of the optical elements in your lens. It's perfectly normal in this situation... You'll see it occur to different degrees in similar photos by other photographers, and in movies you might have watched. It varies by the lens being used... the more optical elements and the fewer coatings used on the glass, the more reflections can occur. If you're shooting with a UV filter or other filter on your lens, try removing it, as they will often introduce or exacerbate the effect. Otherwise, it's one of those things you'll need to accept and live with, or use creatively. Strong light sources positioned diagonally away from the centre of the frame - perhaps just outside the frame - can produce very nice looking flares at mid-range and larger aperture settings that might be complementary to some types of shot
10-15-2019, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See! Mike knows how to use it for good not evil! He is a Pentax Super Hero or something like that. I told you some of the old hands would have better explanations.
10-15-2019, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, that's lens flare. It's caused by light from a strong source - in this case, an incredibly bright sun - bouncing off internal surfaces of the optical elements in your lens. It's perfectly normal in this situation... You'll see it occur to different degrees in similar photos by other photographers, and in movies you might have watched. It varies by the lens being used... the more optical elements and the fewer coatings used on the glass, the more reflections can occur. If you're shooting with a UV filter or other filter on your lens, try removing it, as they will often introduce or exacerbate the effect. Otherwise, it's one of those things you'll need to accept and live with, or use creatively. Strong light sources positioned diagonally away from the centre of the frame - perhaps just outside the frame - can produce very nice looking flares at mid-range and larger aperture settings that might be complementary to some types of shot
Thanks BigMackCam, in actual fact the first time I seen this happen on this lens was in Sunderland which is your neck of the woods I presume from the name. I do have a filter on it so will remove it see if it helps reduce. I think I also used F22 on this shot and just read in the review for the 12-24 that opening it up might help.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2019 at 03:19 PM ----------

See! Mike knows how to use it for good not evil! He is a Pentax Super Hero or something like that. I told you some of the old hands would have better explanations.
and I took your advice problem solved. So I can now confidently say I wanted the effect even though I never, and if it really annoys me this photo works as a B&W too so can always fall back onto that solution. My artistic Flare must be subconsciously creeping into my pics.

10-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Totally expected, and I don't just mean technically but out there in the non-photographer audience world too. For example, any time a TV/movie camera pans through the sun you'll see it briefly. What I'm getting at is that we've all grown up seeing photographs; we've all seen this so many times we don't "see" it any more.

Lots of people do it on purpose. There are even photoshop plugins that simulate it--on purpose!

Like BigMack says, it might look better when the light source is off-center and the flare line is diagonal. It's also not that hard to get rid of if you have a good spot removal tool in your post-processing software.

And just want to add, great photo. I like the composition quite a bit.
10-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That could also be diffraction off the iris and can also be caused by diffraction occurring at the sensor (you say it is specific to this lens so the latter probably doesn't apply). The "spikes" are caused by each of the blades in the iris and light skipping across the edge of the blade. Try an exposure with the lens wide open if you can (low ISO and fast shutter). If the pattern disappears, it's most likely diffraction. At full aperture, the iris blades are fully retracted leaving a round aperture which produces little diffraction. In any case, you have to live with it. Nothing is wrong with your lens.
10-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha ha Thank you, that's the nicest thing I've been called in a long time, perhaps ever I won't mention the others... best not to dwell on those

QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
Thanks BigMackCam, in actual fact the first time I seen this happen on this lens was in Sunderland which is your neck of the woods I presume from the name.
I think you're the first forum member to notice that Yes, Sunderland born and bred, a "Mack'em"... now living a few miles away just outside Durham

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.
10-15-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I have taken a few photos now with this lens and every so often I get this kind of result. now I Know I'm shooting straight into the sun on this one but even when not directly into the sun I have had this effect. There is probably something on the forum already on this effect but I don't know what its called so any enlightenment on how to minimise it would be much appreciated.

Try again this photo of the same time to photo shoot and set the white balance into cloudy , there will be no glare.
10-15-2019, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Totally expected, and I don't just mean technically but out there in the non-photographer audience world too. For example, any time a TV/movie camera pans through the sun you'll see it briefly. What I'm getting at is that we've all grown up seeing photographs; we've all seen this so many times we don't "see" it any more.

Lots of people do it on purpose. There are even photoshop plugins that simulate it--on purpose!

Like BigMack says, it might look better when the light source is off-center and the flare line is diagonal. It's also not that hard to get rid of if you have a good spot removal tool in your post-processing software.

And just want to add, great photo. I like the composition quite a bit.
Thanks for the compliment on the composition funnily enough I stopped down the lens to achieve the starburst which I previously discovered was another thing this lens could easily achieve.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2019 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ha ha Thank you, that's the nicest thing I've been called in a long time, perhaps ever I won't mention the others... best not to dwell on those

I think you're the first forum member to notice that Yes, Sunderland born and bred, a "Mack'em"... now living a few miles away just outside Durham
I'm in Sunderland quite often, in fact I'm there this week was there yesterday and back again tomorrow. Used to stay at the Durham Marriott when I was there but out of budget for work now so stay at the stadium of light Hilton.
10-15-2019, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a thread dedicated to the lens flare, in case you want to take a look.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/1...air-flare.html

Last edited by Riggomatic; 10-15-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added link
10-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The best way to avoid lens flare is to buy the DA15mm Limited. That's what it's famous for.
10-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need advice please is my lens faulty what is causing the coloured circles.

Er, specifically, the OP seemed to be concerned about the "coloured circles", for which the correct term should be "ghosts", with the tendency in lenses referred to as "ghosting", in my book. (No intention to nitpick.)