Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

Pentax LX - only works in automatic mode

So I've had my LX for a while now, and it had generally been working fine, but I dropped it last month and ever since it's been iffy. Contrary to what most people seem to face, my camera is working fine in automatic mode (I've shot a roll and the pictures were well exposed across a range of lighting situations), but as soon as I want to set any shutter speed manually and then press to take a shot, the mirror gets stuck up and the shutter remains open until I switch the shutter speed back to automatic, after which it closes again. I've tried all manual shutter speeds and none of them work, despite them working when set to automatic. Has this happened to anyone before/what can I do?

Ta x

10-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mechanical shutter speeds not working? I would blame the fall. Time to for a trip to the shop, I fear.

Edit: OTOH, it may just be the sticky mirror pad problem common to the model. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/174242-lx-sticky-mirror.html

Steve
10-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the sticky mirror problem would also affect the automatic mode, wouldn't it?
10-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, definitely (one of my LX had a sticky mirror).

10-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the other hand, the auto mode is pretty impressive, for the cost of fixing it may be better to purchase another body ? Good luck.