Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #1

BIF Autofocus (K-70 vs KP vs K-New)

Pardon for cross posting this query:

As an old Spotmatic F user new to DSLRs with a K-70 to accompany my wife birding recently, I am focusing (pun intended) on birds in flight. My 55-300 PLM works best for this, especially against the sky, but not so much if the bird is flying low with trees (or whatever) behind it. OTOH, my wife's Canon 90D can nail such situations, even with a Tamron 18-400. So, I want an improvement over K-70 autofocus quality. Will the KP provide that? Or should I wait for K-New? (I'm not a patient fellow.)

10-19-2019, 11:20 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the KP very capable of hitting focus on birds in flight with the DFA150-450 when I was in Antarctica.

10-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Very nice. There's a 150-450 in my future, too, but I don't want to pair it with a K-70. Thus my query. BTW, at 2kg for the 150-450, have you found it tiring to carry for, say, a 2-3 hour birding excursion.
10-20-2019, 12:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ndzinn Quote
BTW, at 2kg for the 150-450, have you found it tiring to carry for, say, a 2-3 hour birding excursion.
With the right carrying options, no.

10-20-2019, 02:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I found the KP very capable of hitting focus on birds in flight with the DFA150-450 when I was in Antarctica.
May I ask how did you get to go to Antartica?
10-20-2019, 02:06 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
May I ask how did you get to go to Antarctica?
We sailed across the Drake Passage from Ushuaia, Argentina. Not a trivial voyage....
10-20-2019, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Pardon for cross posting this query:

As an old Spotmatic F user new to DSLRs with a K-70 to accompany my wife birding recently, I am focusing (pun intended) on birds in flight. My 55-300 PLM works best for this, especially against the sky, but not so much if the bird is flying low with trees (or whatever) behind it. OTOH, my wife's Canon 90D can nail such situations, even with a Tamron 18-400. So, I want an improvement over K-70 autofocus quality. Will the KP provide that? Or should I wait for K-New? (I'm not a patient fellow.)
I have the 55-300 PLM and it can do very well with birds in flight. I set my focus point to center only and center the bird in the viewfinder. That prevents the autofocus from locking on anything in background. This also works well with my DA* 300 but that lens cannot focus as fast as the PLM.

10-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks. Which camera are you using? My concern about center focus is that birds seem to move faster than I can follow with just one focus point, but I'll try again. Any thoughts about using the 55-300 PLM with the Pentax 1.4x TC? Less IQ, I guess, but still rapid autofocus?
10-20-2019, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks. Which camera are you using? My concern about center focus is that birds seem to move faster than I can follow with just one focus point, but I'll try again. Any thoughts about using the 55-300 PLM with the Pentax 1.4x TC? Less IQ, I guess, but still rapid autofocus?
It looks like I missed it in my previous post. My camera is a K-3. I have the 1.4 TC and do not feel it adds any benefit with the PLM, the TC does not affect autofocus but it does impact IQ. I prefer to use the TC with the DA* 300 where it can function better in lower light conditions.
Actually I zoom the PLM up to only 280 mm where it is still f5.6 and get good results with that. on the zoom scale that is about on the single digit 0 on the 300.
10-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had good luck with the PLM and the big guy 150-450mm in those circumstances

I use the K 3 and K 3 II in burst shutter mode and single AF point

yes, many images may be bad, especially when I am using the lens like a shot gun trying to catch up to the flying bird and get it inito focus

when it works, it is great

Very nice. There's a 150-450 in my future, too, but I don't want to pair it with a K-70. Thus my query. BTW, at 2kg for the 150-450, have you found it tiring to carry for, say, a 2-3 hour birding excursion.
as far as carrying the big guy

there are many options

I use a Optech USA Utility sling plus a Joby ultra plate with hand grip

I vary how I actually carry it. cross body, on my shoulder, handing at my side using the hand grip or not.

each position change varies, for me, how it feels

to me it is worth putting up with the size and weight of the lens

any chance you can find a company in Australia which might rent you the lens so you can try it out ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-20-2019 at 07:15 AM.
10-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

While the KP has a good AF system with new lenses, it's far from perfect. My Nikon camera is lightyears ahead from the KP... Every major pentax flagship APS-C body substantially improved the AF system for now, so I would suggest to wait for the new body.
10-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
It looks like I missed it in my previous post. My camera is a K-3. I have the 1.4 TC and do not feel it adds any benefit with the PLM, the TC does not affect autofocus but it does impact IQ. I prefer to use the TC with the DA* 300 where it can function better in lower light conditions.
Actually I zoom the PLM up to only 280 mm where it is still f5.6 and get good results with that. on the zoom scale that is about on the single digit 0 on the 300.
Useful info. Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 10:39 AM ----------

Useful info. Thanks.
Just researched the DA*300. Another option for me. Great info.

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
While the KP has a good AF system with new lenses, it's far from perfect. My Nikon camera is lightyears ahead from the KP... Every major pentax flagship APS-C body substantially improved the AF system for now, so I would suggest to wait for the new body.
I do have a sling (not an Optech) that may do the job (if I don't strangle myself in it).

BTW, I'm in Texas, not Australia. Guess there's a way to update my profile to that effect.

There are Pentax lens rental places in the USA. One I've contacted doesn't carry the 150-450. Interestingly, the only way to buy a Pentax in Texas is online! Don't know about other states.

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 10:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have had good luck with the PLM and the big guy 150-450mm in those circumstances

I use the K 3 and K 3 II in burst shutter mode and single AF point

yes, many images may be bad, especially when I am using the lens like a shot gun trying to catch up to the flying bird and get it inito focus

when it works, it is great

as far as carrying the big guy

there are many options

I use a Optech USA Utility sling plus a Joby ultra plate with hand grip

I vary how I actually carry it. cross body, on my shoulder, handing at my side using the hand grip or not.

each position change varies, for me, how it feels

to me it is worth putting up with the size and weight of the lens

any chance you can find a company in Australia which might rent you the lens so you can try it out ?
I do have a sling (not an Optech) that may do the job (if I don't strangle myself in it).

BTW, I'm in Texas, not Australia. Guess there's a way to update my profile to that effect.

There are Pentax lens rental places in the USA. One I've contacted doesn't carry the 150-450. Interestingly, the only way to buy a Pentax in Texas is online! Don't know about other states.

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 10:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Prudent advice ... to wait. But I'm not so patient. Owning a KP does not preclude a K-New. Thanks.
10-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I do have a sling (not an Optech) that may do the job (if I don't strangle myself in it).

There are Pentax lens rental places in the USA. One I've contacted doesn't carry the 150-450. Interestingly, the only way to buy a Pentax in Texas is online! Don't know about other states. . . . .
here is a thread you may want to review

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

LensRental is currently running a special if you order before 10/25

if you are willing to buy " experienced " gear don't forget the forum's market place

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

this thread might be of interest:

KP Special Offer! (October 2019) - PentaxForums.com

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/pentax-kp/

. . . . So, I want an improvement over K-70 autofocus quality. Will the KP provide that? Or should I wait for K-New? (I'm not a patient fellow.)
this comparison tool can be very helpful

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-20-2019 at 12:00 PM.
10-20-2019, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
All interesting and useful links ... thanks for taking the time. Great forum!
10-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sandy, great results under extreme lighting conditions! You're photos are starting to sway me towards a KP!