Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k100d battery issues

i have a k100d and lately i am having problem with the batteries of my unit.
i have tried all sorts of brands from ansmann, sanyo eneloops, energizer etc my problems is that on full charge my camera power goes to a half after using around 30 shots. i use new set of nimh bats but to no avail.
when i shoot i am limited to only around 50 shots then i have to change batteries. but when i put it in my flash i can use it for a day of non stop shooting.
maybe somebody out there can help me out
thanks so much....i wish pentax will come out with grip that uses lithium bats for the k100 so that i can maximize the use of my camera. i am so limited in using it

10-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #2

I have had similar issues with the battery level indicator on the upper lcd of my K1ood causing me to think I was getting low on power but actually it was dirty contacts on the battery compartment door that seemed to be the prob. Try the eraser end of a pencil and gently rub the rubber back and forth over the contacts, this should clean the contact area where it touches the battery. A contact cleaning solvent on a rag would work well also. Hope it corrects the problem. Cheers.
10-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

oh wow, surprised it happens so often to people, because i was in the exact same position as you. i wish i knew what i did to fix it, because after a couple attempts at charging my batteries it seems to work nicely now. wish i knew how i fixed it
10-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #4

Exactly the same as mine, I just get used to it and ignore it. I can go whole day without changing batteries. When it shows the battery level low, i just turn the camera off/on again.

You'll know when you really need to change batteries when the body turns off after taking a shot. Its such a huge hassle though when taking group shots and the camera turn off right after you AF. I'll try the eraser trick and report back.

10-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The main reason why I got rid of mine and never looked back.
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

When will they listen and why do they use AA? Talk about annoying.
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I love AA, that's why i bought mine. more future proof

10-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
When will they listen and why do they use AA? Talk about annoying.
Try a set of Lithium AAs (or real CR-V3s for that matter). It's like having a whole new camera, and it's better balanced too. I've come to the conclusion we weren't really meant to put NiMH rechargables in them...

Now if only'd I'd learned this, oh.... about a year ago....
10-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some months ago I was experiencing similar problems with my istD. Even using 8 freshly charges batteries (body + grip) I was able to get only about 50 to 60 shots per charged set.

I purchased a couple of CR3's and the camera gave me next to 600 shots, so I figured something was wrong with my rechargeables. To make a long story short, my chargers were bad.

I found a couple of Energizer chargers (with 4 AA's each) at a local hardware store, and now I get between 600 and 800 shots per charged set (body + grip), with my old batteries as well as the new ones.

Robert B.
11-16-2008, 02:41 AM   #10
jdg
Forum Member

I always experience this with my k100d super even if it's fully charged just after a few shots it displays the battery half full (i use eneloops btw). Sometime it shuts down and displays battery depleted then what do is ijust turn it off and on again and voila it displays battery full again.

Last edited by jdg; 11-16-2008 at 07:49 PM.
11-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

jdg, it's not the camera. It's the batteries. I'm a good set of Lithium AAs, e.g. Energizer e2 Ultimate.

Added bonus is slightly faster autofocus, and a lighter camera.
11-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
jdg
Forum Member

i also have a set of energizer rechargeables aside from my eneloops and the same thing happens.
11-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I have been faced with this same problem, and have found it could be one of two things. First dirt on the contacts of the battery compartment door and also the slightest bit of condensation. The second being cold. If you are shooting outside in low temp. this seems to drain the batteries also. I have found if I am out side for any length of time I try and keep the camera as warm as I can. I also find if I take the batteries out and put them in my pocket for a short bit to warm them the problem goes away until the camera gets cold again. So I have solved this problem also I use a hand warmer for hunting and just tape it to the bottom of the camera. It keeps the battery compartment nice and toasty and the batteries keep their charge.
11-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, it happens with pretty much all rechargables.
There's some good detail on why rechargables just aren't very good here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/10961-k100d-batter...mendation.html

To give a short summary: Due to their chemistry, NiMH rechargables aren't suited to high-drain devices, and quickly become unable to provide the necessary voltage to product the camera, which then shuts itself off. Using Lithium AAs, or CR-V3 (non-rechargable!) photo batteries avoids this problem as the lithium cbased chemistries can meet the required load.

Myself, I have three sets of rechargables, and would often get the effect you describe - haven't had any trouble at all since switching to Lithium AAs.
11-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying to be "green" and purchased more than 40 rechargeables of various makes and capacities. All are now used in my teenager's Wii handsets and other "toys" as NONE proved to be useful in photographic situations for me. Many other folks seem to like theirs. You won't find any rechargeables anywhere near my photo kit EVER again. I have a very low tolerance for mediocrity and that's my opinion of rechargeable-mediocre at best.
Love lithiums but hate the price. Alkalines still seem to be an option for my use, though winter tends to force the issue toward lithiums.