Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2019, 03:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why does my K100D do this

Please help................. I have to leave a note in my camera bag to remind me every timeIi take the camera out to adjust the date. Now having used the camera this morning I take it out again, take my shot and it reverted back to 2006! Why does it do this. Not the first time its happened.....................

10-22-2019, 03:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
Please help................. I have to leave a note in my camera bag to remind me every timeIi take the camera out to adjust the date. Now having used the camera this morning I take it out again, take my shot and it reverted back to 2006! Why does it do this. Not the first time its happened.....................
Perhaps when it was built they never envisaged it lasting over 13 years !

Try updating the firmware.
10-22-2019, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

The battery on the mainboard might be dead.
10-22-2019, 03:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you put your camera away after shooting, do you remove the batteries? This would cause the camera to 'lose its memory' after a short while. If you leave them in, what kind of batteries are they? If you use NiMH rechargeables then they need to be 2500mAh minimum. If less than this, the camera could think that it hasn't got batteries in, and you could get the same result as above.

10-22-2019, 04:03 AM   #5

What kind of batteries are you using? Are they fresh or fully charged? Do you remove the batteries before putting the camera away in the bag?

Normally the clock should keep its settings when you turn off the camera (running off the main batteries). There is a backup battery that will keep the clock running for a few hours when the main batteries are removed. Like all rechargeable batteries the backup will eventually lose the ability to hold a charge. The backup battery is charged by the main battery or AC adapter. Replacing the clock/backup battery is a rather major repair due to the amount of tear down that must be done to access the battery.

If you have to reset the time whenever the batteries are removed for a short time than the clock battery needs to be replaced. Most people in this case learn to live with having to reset the time and date.

If the clock battery is shot and the main batteries are low or in poor condition conceivably the camera might lose the time and date settings when switched on due to the increased power draw during startup (dust removal, self-test displays etc.)
10-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My k100d only does this if I leave it without batteries for a while. Also it prompts me if the date if is lost.

Some cameras lose the faster constantly. I'm not sure of the exact cause.
10-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Perhaps when it was built they never envisaged it lasting over 13 years !

Try updating the firmware.
Hi Peter..thanks for that, I'll give that a go.

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 16:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Desperado Quote
The battery on the mainboard might be dead.
Hey Desperado, it's got a main board?

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 17:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
When you put your camera away after shooting, do you remove the batteries? This would cause the camera to 'lose its memory' after a short while. If you leave them in, what kind of batteries are they? If you use NiMH rechargeables then they need to be 2500mAh minimum. If less than this, the camera could think that it hasn't got batteries in, and you could get the same result as above.
Hello Microlight. I do take the batteries out when I put the camera away. But this morning it was a matter of minutes. Once I reset the date it usually lasts all day.

The batteries are Energizer Lithium.

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 17:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What kind of batteries are you using? Are they fresh or fully charged? Do you remove the batteries before putting the camera away in the bag?

Normally the clock should keep its settings when you turn off the camera (running off the main batteries). There is a backup battery that will keep the clock running for a few hours when the main batteries are removed. Like all rechargeable batteries the backup will eventually lose the ability to hold a charge. The backup battery is charged by the main battery or AC adapter. Replacing the clock/backup battery is a rather major repair due to the amount of tear down that must be done to access the battery.

If you have to reset the time whenever the batteries are removed for a short time than the clock battery needs to be replaced. Most people in this case learn to live with having to reset the time and date.

If the clock battery is shot and the main batteries are low or in poor condition conceivably the camera might lose the time and date settings when switched on due to the increased power draw during startup (dust removal, self-test displays etc.)
Hi Not a Number, I have to reset the time as well............did not know it had a clock battery. The batteries were replaced two days ago.

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 17:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My k100d only does this if I leave it without batteries for a while. Also it prompts me if the date if is lost.

Some cameras lose the faster constantly. I'm not sure of the exact cause.
Hi Uncle Vanya. It is rather frustrating. Like a picture on a wall sometimes I don't see my note reminding me to reset the date.

10-22-2019, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is very common and is linked exclusivly to a tiny small part on the mainboard (every DSLR has a mainboard)!

It is either a supercap
or a recharbeable Lithium battery

To get at it, you have to disassemble your K100D:
Pentax K100D Service Manual (Page 13 of 95)

Photo 4 on page 13 shows this little battery.
10-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K110D, and it will not retain the date when changing batteries. Even if I change them fast. I'm sure if you do the fix posted just above you'll see it hold the date again. It only does this to me if I change batteries. I use eneloops and they hold charge for a long time, so not a huge problem for me.
10-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
Hi Peter..thanks for that, I'll give that a go.

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 16:56 ----------

Hey Desperado, it's got a main board?

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 17:02 ----------

Hello Microlight. I do take the batteries out when I put the camera away. But this morning it was a matter of minutes. Once I reset the date it usually lasts all day.

The batteries are Energizer Lithium.

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 17:04 ----------

Hi Not a Number, I have to reset the time as well............did not know it had a clock battery. The batteries were replaced two days ago.

---------- Post added 22-10-19 at 17:06 ----------

Hi Uncle Vanya. It is rather frustrating. Like a picture on a wall sometimes I don't see my note reminding me to reset the date.
When I have this happen it always prompts me as the first thing I see on the rear LCD. Does yours just lose time but not tell you?
10-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I have the K110D, and it will not retain the date when changing batteries. Even if I change them fast. I'm sure if you do the fix posted just above you'll see it hold the date again. It only does this to me if I change batteries. I use eneloops and they hold charge for a long time, so not a huge problem for me.
Eneloops won't help to solve the problem of a faulty super-cap.
Your problem is exactly the same as what I answered before
It is very common on older Pentax bodies and happens now with many K30's and even the first K50's.

It is a shame that Pentax abandoned the method which the old *ist D still had as well as some Nikons:
The Pentax *ist D has a CR2016 battery which can be exchanged.

This was the most intelligent way but ... a CR2016 is large, weighs and .. to have it exchangeable means extra size/space/circuit!

So every stick has two ends:
People want smaller lighter and yet most advanced cameras!
So to make it smaller means smaller super-caps. I.e. failure ahead.
Thats the price we have to pay.
I'd rather have less gimmicks but ... most poeple love them I guess?
10-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Eneloops don't solve the problem"
Oh? I put them in and set the date and MONTHS pass and its still good. A fix, but not 100%. I can work with that.

I thought that was understood
10-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The little rechargeable memory back-up battery was/is rated for 50 full discharge cycles, after that it was done.
Only way to prolong the life of it was to put in fresh set of batteries right-away and not let it sit w/o any while charging.
This is little late now I guess.
10-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because the memory-back-up battery can suffer as much complete depletion it then cannot be charged anew anymore.

And if a capacitor (super-cap): Those just have a limited lifetime
10-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Supercapacitor Information ? Battery University
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
And if a capacitor (super-cap): Those just have a limited lifetime
Just like anything else.
They are pretty good for having a rating for about million re-charge cycles, just not a lot of stored energy.
Anyhow... no super-caps in Pentax so far, just rechargeable lithium's.