Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 18-135mm scratched?

Hi,

I have a problem with my 18-135mm, it seems scrateched. If I go higher than F8, those scratches are showing up everywhere. Here's an example at F30.

Have you seen this before? It looks like scratches, but maybe you can help locate it? Rear/front lenses? Maybe also tell me if I can hope remove the issue or if I'm now stuck at < F8.

Attached Images

10-28-2019, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are most likely dust particles in the sensor, not in the lens. You will need to clean the sensor. A rocket blower can be very helpful for that.

Thanks,
10-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

These marks certainly look like dust on the camera sensor. Try a rocket blower first, but you might need to use a swab style cleaning kit/cleaner. For the future, use the sensor cleaning ability on most Pentax cameras to keep the sensor clean. I was nervous of setting this to work on every start up and shut down but, since doing so, I have not had any such marks that didn't clear themselves very quickly.,
10-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If it is your only lens - 99,9% it is dust on the sensor, not problem with the lens itself. If you cannot replicate this with other lenses, look at the dust on the lens first (not schratches).

10-28-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust will show up like this when yu go to smaller apertures, and especially against a solid light colored background. Rocket blower several times and if that does not clear it up, a wet sensor clean. Very easy to do with an inexpensive kit.
10-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is possible that they are on the rear element but most likely it is dust on the sensor as others have suggested. use a rocket blower with the option 'sensor cleaning' and the camera facing down.
10-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #7

Marks that sharply defined are on sensor. Try running the dust removal cycle 2 or 3 times. Then try the suggestions above. Check progress by either shooting clear blue sky at small aperture or inspecting the sensor with a light with mirror up in sensor cleaning mode.

10-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes I agree with the others. Your sensor is dirty, not your lens. I had to buy rocket blower, wet brushes for sensor cleaning as well as a magnifier with LEDs especially designed to sensor cleaning to clean mine. All of these can be bought on the Internet easily, it's common furniture to clean sensors. Do not worry if you cannot remove -everything- (pushing resilient dust particle on the top of the sensor - remember the sensor is reversed, top of sensor is bottom of the image, will help). But now my images are perfectly clean.

Do -not- use air bomb to blow air like some misinformed websites are advising. It may deposit cold liquid on the sensor, it happened to me (easily removed with the wet brushes, fortunately).
10-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sharp, in focus specks like that are always on the sensor. Specks on the rear glass will be slightly defocused, specks on the front glass will be very defocused.

Scratches on glass can show as bright spots when light hits them, increased flare, and reduced contrast. It takes a very bad scratch or many small ones to impact photo quality.
10-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advices. Using another lens did show that it was the sensor.

I tried blowing the dust and it did indeed remove some of it. But other appeared, it seems it has a lot of dust in the body, and blowing it only "moved" the dust around. And some 'fuzzy spots' wouldn't go away at all, I'd bet it's some kind of droplet that got on there too.

So right now it's at some local photography shop for a full clean-up. I know, I know, it's supposed to be easy but I don't have the time or patience to order the kit, try to clean it myself, fail, retry it, until finally getting it right So it'll cost me (around 50€, so that's like 56$), but I don't have to do it myself.

I'll try setting the dust-cleaner-on-startup thing when I get my K50 back too.
10-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vankasteelj Quote
Thank you all for the advices. Using another lens did show that it was the sensor.

I tried blowing the dust and it did indeed remove some of it. But other appeared, it seems it has a lot of dust in the body, and blowing it only "moved" the dust around. And some 'fuzzy spots' wouldn't go away at all, I'd bet it's some kind of droplet that got on there too.

So right now it's at some local photography shop for a full clean-up. I know, I know, it's supposed to be easy but I don't have the time or patience to order the kit, try to clean it myself, fail, retry it, until finally getting it right So it'll cost me (around 50€, so that's like 56$), but I don't have to do it myself.

I'll try setting the dust-cleaner-on-startup thing when I get my K50 back too.
My K50 liked to attract dust and I have a lot of pine trees nearby, so I just spent the 10 to 15 dollars on a wet cleaning kit. It is easy to do and takes about as long as using the rocket blower. The newer cameras have an improved sensor cleaning method when compared to the K50 cameras. Watch the camera store folks do the cleaning and you will see what I mean about how easy it is.
10-28-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
My K50 liked to attract dust and I have a lot of pine trees nearby, so I just spent the 10 to 15 dollars on a wet cleaning kit. It is easy to do and takes about as long as using the rocket blower. The newer cameras have an improved sensor cleaning method when compared to the K50 cameras. Watch the camera store folks do the cleaning and you will see what I mean about how easy it is.
One major benefit with using a wet cleaning kit is that it can't blow dust into the viewfinder.
10-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #13

Don't worry, this is very very probably dust on your sensor as others have proven. Judging on how much there is, you might want to get confortable around the idea of cleaning your gear, you might live/shoot on areas where dust is prominent, i suffer this on race tracks.