Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How many stops of shake reduction?

Hi all,

Could anyone direct me to a listing that displays how many stops of Shake Reduction each Pentax camera is supposed to have?

Even our own Camera Review section only lists a camera's lens mount stabilization as 'Yes (sensor-shift SR)' or similar.
However, I have heard many people talk about the amount of stops that particular models have for shake reduction - obviously, each model is not created equal to simply state "yes, it has SR".

I would be interested to see how the development has progressed through the models and to estimate what future models might bring.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 10-31-2019 at 04:18 PM.
10-31-2019, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well the K-3II has 4.5 stops (the K-3 has 4 stops I think), the K-70 and K-S2 each have 4 or 4.5 stops, I forget at the moment, and the KP and K-1/K-1II have up to 5 stops. I think it's mentioned in each cameras' in-depth reviews.
10-31-2019, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

With a K-70 and moderate care you can get as long as 1/10 sec at medium focal lengths easily. With a lot of care and good bodily bracing--like adapted target shooting techniques--I've gotten good results as low as 1/5 sec. With a modern camera this will get you pics in any situation you ought to be walking around in.

Here is one example I took just a few days ago testing out this very point just for the hell of it during a lull in a football game...

This is taken handheld at 1/25sec and ISO 3200. FL was 53mm on the 16-85mm zoom. This was after sunset and so the room was quite dark with just a desk lamp providing light for the whole room on that side and a TV on the other side of the room.
10-31-2019, 03:45 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

What we really need is a way to measure many stops of shake each photographer has!

Maybe a little shake measuring function under the "Wrench" menus would tell the photographer to hold the camera as still as possible, press the shutter button each time the app beeps, measure how much motion occurs, and then repeat that maybe 10 to 20 times. It would crunch the data to estimate the slowest recommended shutter speeds for each focal length.

And if the app shows the photographer their score, then they could try to practice to get a better one.

Ok, it might not be perfect or account for all the variables (coffee, beer, wind, etc.), but it's better than nothing which is what we have now.

10-31-2019, 04:06 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In real world, KP....Old person...Coffee......2 stops
10-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I think it's mentioned in each cameras' in-depth reviews.
Thanks for this ! If a ready-made list doesn't surface, perhaps I will mine these in-depth reviews to make my own charts
10-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Amen!

I find that I can get about three stops with my Qs, but that requires some serious and consistent technique.

4+ stops is doable if you are willing to accept a high percentage of misses.
How does one even measure this? How do you know how many stops you're achieving?

10-31-2019, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think this a very consistently measurable thing, it's going to vary with individuals, which lens, which body, circumstances you are shooting under, weather, etc...
It's also related to your personal thresholds for sharpness, some subjects and images can take more blur than others,
you'll need to judge for yourself, and learn to work with it.
I keep it on all the time, I use a K3, with a 55-300 hand held a lot, I can consistently get a few stops under 1/300th, and up to 4-stops on some occasions. It mostly helps me keep the ISO down
It's helped me get shots I could not get without it.
10-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
2B1
Forum Member

The K1 has 5 stops of stabilisation , but are 5 stops available at all focal lengths?
10-31-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And in addition to coffee consumption, focal length, weight, etc. Need a reference platform. Easier said than done.
10-31-2019, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

K-1 ii up to 5 EV steps; KP up to 5 EV steps; K-70 up to 4.5 EV steps

Source - Products | RICOH IMAGING

Philip
10-31-2019, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Well the K-3II has 4.5 stops (the K-3 has 4 stops I think), the K-70 and K-S2 each have 4 or 4.5 stops, I forget at the moment, and the KP and K-1/K-1II have up to 5 stops. I think it's mentioned in each cameras' in-depth reviews.
The numbers are in the reviews and are based on technical information from Ricoh Japan's Web site.

Edit: Not all reviews include the numbers. I am checking the Ricoh Web site's claims and am wondering it the numbers quoted here are from press materials.

It is important to note that those numbers are CIPA certified* using outside CIPA-approved outside laboratories. I don't know what the current situation is, but at one point the full CIPA requirements were available online. The make for an interesting read.

Now whether 4.5 stops of SR is enough to overcome 8 stops negative input from the user is another matter.

Steve

(...has no difficulty realizing the mentioned 3.5-stop advantage with my K-3...)

* CIPA requires members who make shake reduction claims to certify the performance.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-31-2019 at 08:08 PM.
10-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And just thinking of shake reduction makes me think of another article about someone (Canon?) having IBIS in an upcoming body. Makes you wonder where all these "reviewers" have been for years given Pentax's position.
10-31-2019, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-7 at 1/5th second
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When one says X stops of shake reduction, just what does that mean and how does that relate to actually taking a photograph? I seen this said quite a bit and don't really know what it means.