Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

Pentax Mx-7 plus two lenses

Hi everyone! I’m looking at getting my first film camera and found a MZ-7 on a local ad.

Is it worthwhile for $40? Because I’m also starting to look at petax DSLRs

Thanks

11-04-2019, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My first film SLR was a Pentax ZX-7, same thing as the MZ-7. I really liked it. It was really simple to operate and a good, cheap entry into the world of film. It depends what lenses you are getting to know if it's REALLY worth it, but I would say if it is working well, especially if the owner has shot with it recently, then $40 is a good price. If you can't be certain it's working then it's hard to say. Those cameras can be had at that price or cheaper all over the place, so hold out until you find one you can reliably say works.

Here's the reviews for that camera:
Pentax MZ-7 / ZX-7 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

There are a lot of great affordable Pentax DSLRs as well if you're willing to shop for older models. I am currently playing with a K10D (10mp camera, ~$80-100) and a Pentax K-5 (16mp, $150-200) and both offer excellent value for the money. And there's a lot more than just those to look at. Plenty of people on this forum still shoot with these models actively and can give advice and feedback on them.
11-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

as you can see

we have friendly members and lots of knowledge here at the forums

and some of us love to advise others how to spend their money on cameras and lenses

just ask

be sure to check the reviews - user and " in depth " and the camera comparison tool you will find under " cameras " above

as well as the reviews - user and " in depth " and lens search tool you will find under " lenses " above

if interested in " experienced " equipment, check the market place under " buy/sell " above
11-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would view the purchase as 2 lenses for $40 and you get a body that may or may not work. If you want those lenses then it might be a good deal even if the body is trash.

11-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I would view the purchase as 2 lenses for $40 and you get a body that may or may not work. If you want those lenses then it might be a good deal even if the body is trash.
That is what I am thinking. If the lenses are in good shape than the body is just a bonus
I believe it’s the
50mm f/2 or maybe 1.4 and the kit lens

---------- Post added 11-04-19 at 02:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
My first film SLR was a Pentax ZX-7, same thing as the MZ-7. I really liked it. It was really simple to operate and a good, cheap entry into the world of film. It depends what lenses you are getting to know if it's REALLY worth it, but I would say if it is working well, especially if the owner has shot with it recently, then $40 is a good price. If you can't be certain it's working then it's hard to say. Those cameras can be had at that price or cheaper all over the place, so hold out until you find one you can reliably say works.

Here's the reviews for that camera:
Pentax MZ-7 / ZX-7 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

There are a lot of great affordable Pentax DSLRs as well if you're willing to shop for older models. I am currently playing with a K10D (10mp camera, ~$80-100) and a Pentax K-5 (16mp, $150-200) and both offer excellent value for the money. And there's a lot more than just those to look at. Plenty of people on this forum still shoot with these models actively and can give advice and feedback on them.
Thanks for replying!

I’ve been looking at reviews online for the MZ-7/ZX-7 and it seems like a good camera. Do you know if you can shoot full manual?

Right now I shot with a Nikon D3300 with just the kit lens. But I’m finding that older Pentax DSLRs would be just as good as the D3300. Another thing is that for the type of photography I would be doing I would be fine with an older sensor and body
11-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The MZ-7 will do full manual.

That particular generation of bodies is prone to a catastrophic mirror gear failure, but if it’s working now for $40, it’s likely to work a little longer...

If it is indeed a 50mm f2, that’s a fun lens. The kit lens with a MZ-7 would probably have been a very plasticky but decent 28-80. That’s a weird length on APS digital, so they aren’t worth much. So you get a decent kit for cheap.

Enjoy it...

-Eric
11-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The MZ-7 will do full manual.

That particular generation of bodies is prone to a catastrophic mirror gear failure, but if it’s working now for $40, it’s likely to work a little longer...

If it is indeed a 50mm f2, that’s a fun lens. The kit lens with a MZ-7 would probably have been a very plasticky but decent 28-80. That’s a weird length on APS digital, so they aren’t worth much. So you get a decent kit for cheap.

Enjoy it...

-Eric
I just picked it up and it seems to be working fine! It came with a 50mm f/1.7 lens
Which is awesome because I love the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens

11-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justoboy Quote
I just picked it up and it seems to be working fine! It came with a 50mm f/1.7 lens
Sounds like you got a good deal for $40!
11-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justoboy Quote
I did a test a while back between a bunch of 50mm lenses, including an AI Nikkor f1.4, an AIS f1.8, and the Pentax M f1.7. Not any big difference at f2 or smaller, and wide open was more subjective... so I expect you’ll like the 50mm

-Eric