Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to give a different perspective, I had a similar issue with my K7. It only happens when the battery gets low, they missed a little on the coordination of low battery and the sensitivity of the digital inputs.

Have you checked your battery’s. maybe they are too old.

11-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #17

BTW: WD-40 makes an electronic contact cleaner spray. I would not use standard WD-40 on electronics. Different color can so it is hard to mix the two up.
11-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NEVER SPRAY ordinary WD-40 inside your Pentax DSLR

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
Sad you make assumptions and inferences about my skill level with no objective evidence.
This is about giving prober advice to those who ask important questions.

But to bring it more to a point:
WD40 can be used if you use a tiny amount and use it as a cleaner, then clean again with alcool.
It is powerfull stuff for rusty screws, bice-chains (there only if cleaned again, because the residue after evaporation is sticky and bad for moving parts)

In almost all audio- studiotechnic- electricguitar- and similar forums it is warned "Beware of WD40!"

So actually I was very friendly in my response.

But you just want to stick with it (and yes, WD40 is sticky after a while)

The value of having someone do a repair at a shop is determined by the one having the work done. Not you.
C'mon... the repaircosts for a K-r would be at least US$ 150.
We don't have to discuss this!

I'm done with this thread and will no longer respond to your petty little attacks. I hope you enjoyed yourself.
Not attacks at all. Putting errors straight! That's all.

There should be a strict warning:

!!! NEVER US WD-40 on contacts of a Pentax if you are not able to right away clean it off !!!

Advice given to just spray it inside your camera is wrong as wrong can be!

Of course: We are speaking of THE WD40 you recommended, not the new WD40 contact cleaner.
11-23-2019, 01:36 AM   #19

Might be due to moist inside electronic parts, may the be the problem of switch. May try putting in under sunshine for hours or days.

11-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sansfin Quote
Might be due to moist inside electronic parts, may the be the problem of switch. May try putting in under sunshine for hours or days.
Moisture will lead to corrosion. Corrosion will not "dry in sunshine".

In almost all cases I had to deal with it was dirt and abrasion (which causes dirt) so first cleaning and then a tiny touch of non aggressive contact cleaner such as old fashioned "tuner-cleaner" will to the trick.

The dirt usually intrudes from all sorts of sources (aside of corrosion): Dirty fingers: sweat, sap, ketchup, mayo, fat, coke, grease plus of course dust etc.
11-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having recently bought a K-500 (to replace my not quite fully functional K-x) I went out and bought some WD-40 FAST DRYING CONTACT CLEANER and sprayed it in through the small apertures either side of the wheel on my problem K-x, then exercised the wheel.

(My theory being that I was unlikely to break the camera with this cleaner but if I did I had the K-500 to fall back on.
Turns out the K-500 had the aperture block problem but the seller kindly gave me a partial refund.)

After leaving it until the following day I replaced the batteries and checked the operation of the wheel in AV and TV modes. The wheel was still not changing the aperture (in those modes) properly so I gave it a 2nd blast and exercise.
Then a 3rd and 4th, they provided better operation but not perfect.
Today I tried a 5th and it seems to have worked!

So I am now a happy bunny with a fully working K-x and can testify to the contact cleaner working. Time will tell.
11-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well, you exercised a method better not posted in forums.

Why?

Because you should as much not recommend to others to use cocain
to wake you up when tired just because for a short moment it worked on you.

To use standard WD40 on any Pentax is wrong as wrong can be and it was explained.
Better to remain quiet instead of misleading others!
Bit confused, I did not use standard WD-40 but the electrical contact cleaner they make.
I am not recommending using the cleaner, just pointing out that it seems to have worked for me.

11-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Bit confused, I did not use standard WD-40 but the electrical contact cleaner they make.
I am not recommending using the cleaner, just pointing out that it seems to have worked for me.
Then I apologize, my mistake! I took it for standard WD40.
Sorry!