Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

Pentax K-R - Selector dial bad contact

Hi everyone!

I have a Pentax K-R.

The "rotary dial/selector dial" (not sure how it is called) has some bad contact. Sometime when I rotate it is skip some settings (zoom to much) or even go in the opposite direction (trying to zoom but unzoom).

Any fix for that?

Thanks!

11-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anarethos Quote
Hi everyone!

I have a Pentax K-R.

The "rotary dial/selector dial" (not sure how it is called) has some bad contact. Sometime when I rotate it is skip some settings (zoom to much) or even go in the opposite direction (trying to zoom but unzoom).

Any fix for that?

Thanks!
I have a body with the same problem and would be interested.
11-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #3

I have a K20D. The front selector wheel or whatever it's called, doesn't work on every click. I am also interested.
11-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #4

There are several threads on eDial and Mode Dial repair on various models from the K10D to the K-1.

Usually it is a matter of opening up the camera to get at the contacts for the dials and either replacing the dial, re-aligning or cleaning the contacts with a contact cleaner (I would recommend one with a lubricant).

Or send the camera in for repair. Given the age of the camera it is probably more economical to replace.

11-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same issue when I first got my Kr. I used a small spray can of WD40 with the straw (contact cleaner would be even better) and sprayed a SMALL amount directly into the dial slot on the back. I then worked the dial and it started working and never had an issue after. If I remember correctly there is to much lube on the dial contacts and the cleaner cleans that off so the contacts work. Taking it apart and cleaning the dial would be more precise of course.

Good luck.
11-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My *istDS occasionally does this, and I do what R.Miller does.
11-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
WD40? Not afraid it will cause a short circuit or drip on the CMOS or other optical components?

11-06-2019, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contact cleaner will fix the e-dial and not break anything else. I blasted it around the e-dial and kept moving the dial until it started working correctly. A couple of years later, I had the top plate off so I sprayed contact cleaner on the mode switch and hit the e-dial again, just in case. But it shouldn't be necessary to remove the top plate for just the e-dial.
11-06-2019, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So here we go again, some recommend WD40, some don't (me, myself!):

WD40 is a great product, I use it on cars, motorbike, bicycle, but not a DSLR, it is too rough for it. Of course it will work, can last, but then the contacts are over and done with.

A mild tuner-spray (tuner contact-cleaner) is the best, I only have European products at hand which won't be of any use to you in USA or Canada.
So you need to do this research yourself.

You also never ever spray WD40 (or anything better) just into the tiny gap of the e-dial or underneath the mode-dial, to much mess and the danger of severe damage,

there is a lot of electrics underneath and nearby, kind of a sledge-hammer method.

HERE you find a good tutorial how to fix the e-dial of the K-x, which is almost the same!
And HERE:

a video how it is done with the K-r.

The K-x tutorial is good and precise and shows you why it is pretty useless to spray stuff into the gaps
but obligatory (and very easy) to just lift the top off.

You don't need to get the bottom off, no front, just those screws:

1 x inside battery chamber (very important)
2 x screws pop-up flash (maybe the third screw there as well, with the K-x definetely not, but it won't hurt)
2 x screws behind the rubber eye-piece
2 x screws where the belt is fixed to
1 x screw right side (the top screw only which is not hidden) right side = side of MF-M switch
1 x screw hidden on right side behind rubber (the top screw)
(maybe one screw on the left side, cannot remember anymore, too long time ago I opened a K-r)

The video is pretty good to show hwo to do the cleaning.
11-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As I said, contact cleaner would be the preferred product and opening the case and manually cleaning would be more precise. A number have used WD40 with no issues. It's designed to clean and lightly prevent water contact. I don't know anyone that used it and had a problem. Just don't drown the camera in it. Not everyone wants to disassemble a camera. It's not useless to externally spray since it does work for many. In the end do what you feel most comfortable with.
11-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well... and I did it long time ago with a K10D and killed it doing it.

So:
QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
It's not useless to externally spray since it does work for many.
No, not useless but one use can be that it kills your DSLR. Not the best use, isn't it?
In the end do what you feel most comfortable with.
The "way of least resistance" is not always the best.

This is the region below the back e-dial: You don't want to "mess with it":

Last edited by photogem; 11-06-2019 at 11:07 AM.
11-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear you damaged your K10D. Either process has a level of risk. Over spraying can cause issues. Taking a complex electronic device like a camera apart also has its share or risk. Lost parts, or even doing more damage can result. Some people are good at doing that while others not so much. Nothing wrong with sending it to a repair shop if it's worth it to you either.
11-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #13

Spraying from the outside isn't a good idea especially on the models with weather sealing. First off you have to get the cleaner past the seal. Second the cleaner may deteriorate the seal compromising the weather seal as well as gumming up the works.
11-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Either process has a level of risk.
Living on this planet has a level of risk.

Over spraying can cause issues.
Indeed, but not just over-spraying but spraying itself can cause problems. If the sap drips down onto the sensitive electronics
it will cause problems.

Anyway, the problem of the e-dial not functioning anymore as it should is not just a contact problem but it is grease/dirt etc.
The chance to get inside of the contacts are there, but you need a good portion of spray and thus the danger of the resulting sap
dripping down is pretty high.

Particular non-WR Pentax bodies can suffer very badly on the back e-dial because dirt, grease or whatever gets in much easier.
The K-x and K-r are known for those problems

Taking a complex electronic device like a camera apart also has its share or risk.
Walking down the street as well

Lost parts, or even doing more damage can result.
Lost parts are based on bad preparation. One takes photos of one's camera, drills 2mm holes there where the screws are located and places the screws one after the other there: Zero risk anymore.

Some people are good at doing that while others not so much.
So you probably aren't and that's fine. But usually those who don't dare doing such work are those who give the largest warnings.
But this is based on assumptions/projections andNOT on actual experience.

Nothing wrong with sending it to a repair shop if it's worth it to you either.
The costs of having a k-r repaired in a repair shop are way out of any sensible proportion
11-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sad you make assumptions and inferences about my skill level with no objective evidence. The value of having someone do a repair at a shop is determined by the one having the work done. Not you.

I'm done with this thread and will no longer respond to your petty little attacks. I hope you enjoyed yourself.