Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh R1E flash and turning off weirdness

Cannot figure this out.

My Ricoh R1E, which I've recently started using again after nearly 20 years has been great for a few months but has suddenly started turning itself off after every shot. Like turning it's own power off, lens retracting back in etc.

On top of this it doesn't flash either. Not in any of the flash modes. But it does, however, if you set it to red eye flash mode, actually fire the red eye flashes but not the main one with the shutter.

Just done some more tests and it appears the shutter isn't opening. I think that's why it doesn't flash and turns itself off as a warning. I suppose that's clever but how do I stop the shutter not opening?

I can't even work out how to keep the camera on with the back open to do a bit more testing. Any ideas on that either?

Any ideas? I could bin it but I love this thing!

3 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’d check for a fresh battery first...

You may be able to convince the camera that the door is shut. Check to see if there is a prong on the door that pokes into a hole in the camera body. If so, there’s probably a metal plate in the hole. A shaft of the right diameter (like that of a cotton swab) might fit in there to depress the plate and make the camera think the door is closed.

But I still think you have a bad battery

-Eric
3 Days Ago   #3

Check to see if the battery contacts are clean.

With electronic equipment that has been unused for 20 years or so it is likely a capacitor or two may have leaked or dried out. Same with the lubrication. If there are timing gears and they aren't moving properly the timing and operation of functions will be off or fail altogether.
3 Days Ago   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks both. I have worked out the door thingy now and can confirm from the back also that the shutter isn't opening. I've also put in a new high quality battery and no difference. It's annoying that having sat in a cupboard for 15 years it worked fine but now I've been using it a few months it's stopped.

3 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

If you've not used it in 20 years, it is hardly a surprise that various components have packed up. Time for a bit of R & R (Retire and Replace).