Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Single-Step switch to monochrome on a KP

Hi,
I'm slowly learning my way around a relatively new Pentax KP. I am looking for a single-step option to set me up for a monochrome photo. I know I can use the Function C1 + Setting dial combination to take me there, as well as accessing this same functionality through the menu system . . . both operations requiring multiple steps. What I am looking for is a means to program a single-step direct path to this feature rather than having to fiddle with multiple controls. i.e. push button, take mono photo then either camera reverts to its previous colour setting, or another push of the same button takes me back there. Hoping someone with some experience out there can point me in the right direction

11-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the easiest way would be to use one of the user modes on the mode dial for B&W.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #3

I have a K3, and I can save settings to 1 of 3 User presets on the dial.

Kirk B.
11-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, KP has 5 user settings on the mode dial. I've got one set to monochrome, another set for monochrome HDR, so that I don't have to menu dive. Works great. If you want to make the transition even easier, you can program U1, say, to regular program shooting in color, and U2 to monochrome. That makes it a single click back and forth on the mode dial.

11-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the easiest way would be to use one of the user modes on the mode dial for B&W.
Thanks Adam, Kirk & Bob,
Great tips - much appreciated. 'USER5' on my KP now labelled 'MONOCHROME' & works a treat. I've just read Bob's tip and will probably revise things to align with that - great idea!

Cheers
Geoff
11-12-2019, 02:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffm Quote
Hi,
I'm slowly learning my way around a relatively new Pentax KP. I am looking for a single-step option to set me up for a monochrome photo. I know I can use the Function C1 + Setting dial combination to take me there, as well as accessing this same functionality through the menu system . . . both operations requiring multiple steps. What I am looking for is a means to program a single-step direct path to this feature rather than having to fiddle with multiple controls. i.e. push button, take mono photo then either camera reverts to its previous colour setting, or another push of the same button takes me back there. Hoping someone with some experience out there can point me in the right direction
I take it you are shooting jpeg? There isn't much point to "shooting monochrome" in Raw, as the colour is still in the Raw file.
11-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I take it you are shooting jpeg? There isn't much point to "shooting monochrome" in Raw, as the colour is still in the Raw file.
thanks Paul - yes mostly playing in JPEG territory. Switch across to RAW when I get serious, which is not often ;-)