Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #1

K100D eating through batteries

Hi guys,

I jut found my dads old K100D and it works great. Only the AAs that I have seen to only work for about 10 shots before the camera says low battery.

Does anyone have any battery recommendations? Right now I’m just using 1.5v AAs

11-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best experience I've had are with....
  • four Energizer Advanced lithium batteries
  • two CR-V3 lithium battery packs

11-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the batteries are standard alkaline or worse yet carbon zinc non-rechargeable then I would try some good quality high capacity Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. The same applies if the batteries are rechargeable but unknown age and quality.
11-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You will need either super alcaline, lithium or high capacity NIMH rechargeable (like 2800 mAh EBL). I recommend the latter.

Oh and you should use flash as few as possible. It's a battery killer.

11-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had success with Panasonic Eneloop Pro NiMH batteries in my Pentax flashes and other high drain devices.
11-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
You will need either super alcaline, lithium or high capacity NIMH rechargeable (like 2800 mAh EBL). I recommend the latter.

Oh and you should use flash as few as possible. It's a battery killer.
I probably won’t use the flash much, but I think I was just using super cheap Walmart batteries.

I’m going to buy some high quality rechargeable batteries later today
11-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justoboy Quote
I probably won’t use the flash much, but I think I was just using super cheap Walmart batteries.

I’m going to buy some high quality rechargeable batteries later today
The non rechargeable lithium AA batteries work quite well also. Those are probably the longest lasting and most expensive option.

11-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cast a vote for lithium AA.
11-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justoboy Quote
Hi guys,

I jut found my dads old K100D and it works great. Only the AAs that I have seen to only work for about 10 shots before the camera says low battery.

Does anyone have any battery recommendations? Right now I’m just using 1.5v AAs
Then the old AA's are dead.

Buy Eneloops by Panasonic or even better Fujitsu (still made in Japan)

and a good charger (charger quality is very important).

I have no personal experience with the Eneloop Pro (2500mA/h) but heard good reports.
Doesn't matter that they take only 500 charges, one has to reach that first.... you'll be quite old then.
11-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

And I recommend the EBL 2800 mAh (Ni-MH) batteries, and a fast EBL charger, that can be found on Amazon for quite cheap. I have not been disappointed by them. The 2800 mAh are heavier and a little bit larger than usual AA batteries (Alkaline or Ni-MH) , but I had no problem fitting them in my K100D Super and you'll need the extra capacity.
11-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the battery contacts are clean. I have used Energizer Ultimate Lithium with great results.
11-13-2019, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with what others have said. If you're going the single-use route, Energizer Lithiums are your only real choice. Yes, they're more expensive but they last an incredibly long time so the total cost of ownership is probably the same or maybe cheaper. If you have a Sam's Club or Costco membership, you can buy bulk packs there that will reduce your unit cost.

If you prefer rechargeable batteries--and I highly recommend them--Eneloops are indeed your best, albeit moore expensive--bet. A cost effective alternative is AmazonBasics high capacity NiMH rechargeables. Like Eneloops, they have an incredibly long shelf life. The gray ones are higher capacity than the black ones, but cost about half again more. I have several sets of both and no complaints about either. The black ones are presently on sale for $7.64 for a four-pack. Two sets and a charger (if you don't already have one) and you'll be set.
11-14-2019, 05:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you test the batteries with a multimeter?
I used to power my K100DS with Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries, but after some years it started signaling empty battery even when inserting a fresh set.
Of course the batteries still read good after removing them from the camera, and could power a flash, so they were not the issue at all.
Alkalines forget about it... in a cold climate they didn't work even when the camera was ok with the Ni-Mh.