Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Weird color shifts in photo previews

Hi all,

My K3 is doing the weirdest thing and I'm hoping someone on here can steer me towards a resolution. Last night I was shooting a focus stack. Very first one, more of a test than an effort to produce a nice image. Anyway, I had the camera set to Flash for WB, in X mode for flash sync. Manual everything. I had the camera on a focus rail and took a multitude of shots with flash. On the camera back, I was seeing wildly different color casts. I had seen similar the last time I had my camera out, which was at a local festival and then I was mostly shooting my grandkids. What happened then happened this time. When I initiated an import in Lightroom, all the photos showed the crazy color casts I had seen on the back of the camera. Upon executing the import, they one by one snapped to the expected color balance.

What on Earth could be going on here? I'm thinking a factory reset might be in order, but will that nuke the lens-specific focus adjustments I've done? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Bruce

Attached Images

11-14-2019, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have it set to cross processing. Press ▶︎ in standby mode. Select an image finishing such as Bright or Natural, rather than cross processing.

Alternatively, you may have selected a crazy Digital Filter in the Camera1 menu.

When you import Raw, LR first shows the embedded jpeg (which will honour the digital filter), but then, depending on your setting, may make its own straight from Raw that does not refer to that filter. It takes a few seconds.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-14-2019 at 07:41 PM.
11-14-2019, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #3

I have noticed weird color shifts when I am shooting under what appears to be constant light, but I think that it is that the lighting is actually imperceptibly changing. When I set my shutter speed lower it seems to go away. I am guessing at least in my case that it has to do with shooting around 1/250 sec. Just curious, what was your shutter speed?
11-15-2019, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
I have noticed weird color shifts when I am shooting under what appears to be constant light, but I think that it is that the lighting is actually imperceptibly changing. When I set my shutter speed lower it seems to go away
What kind of constant light ? A lot of artificial lighting operates at a cycle that a fast shutter speed cannot capture.

11-15-2019, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You have it set to cross processing. Press ▶︎ in standby mode. Select an image finishing such as Bright or Natural, rather than cross processing.

Alternatively, you may have selected a crazy Digital Filter in the Camera1 menu.

When you import Raw, LR first shows the embedded jpeg (which will honour the digital filter), but then, depending on your setting, may make its own straight from Raw that does not refer to that filter. It takes a few seconds.
Paul the Sunman, you are a gentleman and a scholar and officially my hero for the day! I must have set the finishing to Cross Processing by accident. Had never even done anything with that menu before. At least not on purpose. And thanks Joe Dusel and pschlute, those are fair questions and were it not as stupid a mistake and as simple a remedy as Paul suggested, those would have been good avenues to explore.

Thnaks again!
Bruce
11-15-2019, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruceman20 Quote
Thnaks again!
You are welcome. Always happy to try and help, and when one gets thanks *, even better.

* even though my suggestion did not help one bit !!
11-15-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruceman20 Quote
I must have set the finishing to Cross Processing by accident. Had never even done anything with that menu before. At least not on purpose.
Welcome to the club! Most of us have accidentally switched to "interesting" custom image modes at one time or another due to the lack of a confirmation step for the change. Fortunately, these don't affect RAW capture beyond the preview image.

Steve

11-15-2019, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the club! Most of us have accidentally switched to "interesting" custom image modes at one time or another due to the lack of a confirmation step for the change. Fortunately, these don't affect RAW capture beyond the preview image.

Steve
I try to stay away from the options like cross processing and the like; I get into enough trouble by accident (Like the time I was baking bacon in my oven and turned the broiler on by mistake; I never saw such blackened bacon strips before).
11-15-2019, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What kind of constant light ? A lot of artificial lighting operates at a cycle that a fast shutter speed cannot capture.
It would be an interesting light source indeed if it cycled through all those colours. There are easier ways to create white light with decent CRI.
11-15-2019, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It would be an interesting light source indeed if it cycled through all those colours. There are easier ways to create white light with decent CRI.
....Have you never seen a 1970's lava lamp ?