Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 80-320mm not auto-focusing on K-5iis

Hello all and thanks in advance for your input. As the title states, I have a FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6 lens that will not focus on my K-5iis, other than on M. When I turn the camera on, it does not recognize the lens. I'm asked to input the focal length. It worked on my PZ-1n but unfortunately I no longer have that camera to check it on. I cleans the contacts several times with a cotton squab and alcohol but that didn't resolve the issue. I can manually focus the lens on the M setting but cannot on the AF.S or C settings. Other af lenses operate as they should on this body, so I know it's the lens.

Any advise? Thx

11-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple of ideas onlineflyer: Try to tighten the screws on the lens mount. Also, does AF work on live view?
11-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
A couple of ideas onlineflyer: Try to tighten the screws on the lens mount. Also, does AF work on live view?
Lens mount is tight, no af on live view. Camera not recognizing lens, acts like a mf (k or m) lens when I turn camera on. All camera settings are correct, camera works properly with all other af and manual lenses.
11-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at the contacts and make sure none look "pushed in", of course that's a long shot. Make sure the when mounted the lens looks in the right position. Chance are there is a loose wire of short under the mount.

11-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmm, I am out of ideas
do lens contacts fully depress?

Edit: i just saw ramseybuckeye gave you the same idea
11-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys,everything appears right with the lens but it's not functioning properly. I just wanted to know if I was missing something. This is not a lens that I've used often or lately, I obtained it from a wedding photographer with the PZ-1N back in the mid-90s. I guess I'll just pass it on to a younger photographer that wants a longer lens to practice manual. Optically it's not great but it's also no bad.

By the way ramseybuckeye, do you ever get up to Wood or Lucas Country to shoot? There some pretty nice venues.
11-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I set the aperture ring on my FA 50mm macro off of the A setting, it stops autofocusing...

Where’s your aperture ring set?

-Eric
11-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
When I set the aperture ring on my FA 50mm macro off of the A setting, it stops autofocusing...

Where’s your aperture ring set?

-Eric
Doesn't matter, A setting and all aperture settings. There is just no communications between camera and lens.

11-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it set in the menu: C4 - 27 : Using Aperture Ring on 2
11-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Is it set in the menu: C4 - 27 : Using Aperture Ring on 2
I primarily shoot old K and M lenses, so yes to Use Aperture Ring
11-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It seems like it has to be in the contacts somewhere. You could take off the mount and clean each contact. On the F series this is really fussy, because there are individual contacts, tiny springs for each one and contact pads for the springs. Putting it all back together is complicated - or there is a simple trick I failed to discover. I think this is easier on the FA lenses. Just clean anything within the mount that looks electrical. Blasting the mount with contact cleaner might work but almost certainly the lens assemblies are not shielded well enough for that. You might try dripping contact cleaner on to each contact carefully, maybe spraying the cleaner into an eyedropper. The cleaner evaporates quickly so it won't get too far into the lens.
11-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

that's a shame....on the rare occasions I use mine it does a decent job or better than expected.....a decent choice to have something FF with that kinda reach without busting out the sigma 150-500

may not hurt to unscrew the mount and take a peek.....who knows just doing that may dislodge/mysteriously fix whatever is causing the problem
11-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've decided to pass it along to someone with little funds who might be interested in longer reach and manual operation. I posted it in the marketplace. I just never use the lens and have no need for it. I'd rather shoot my primes.