Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tele-Vivitar - 500mm - Focus to Infinity?

I purchased the attached cannon of a lens, the Tele-Vivitar 500mm 6.3 recently, used. Came with a hood, a metal lens cap, a gigantic case, and an old (non-Pentax) t-adapter. I removed the T-adapter and put my own on. However, I went to try a photo of the moon last night, and cannot quite get it to focus to infinity. The focus mechanism seems to "slip" when focusing, but with a bit of upward pressure, it grabs and the mechanism moves. However, it stops just short of infinity. I'm wondering if it's the adapter I'm using, as there's a small gap between the base of the t-ring and the base of the adapter.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jawats; 23 Hours Ago at 11:04 AM.
11-17-2019, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The fact that the focus slips like that indicates either a manufacturing defect or something that happened in service... with this kind of lens, either is likely...

And on a film camera, itís possible a prior owner just thought it was lousy and didnít understand the nature of the problem.

Itís also possible your adapter isnít all the way on. If thatís the case, it wouldnít focus to infinity as youíve described.

Make sure you loosen any set screws on your adapter before you put it on, otherwise it wonít go on right.

Hope that helps...

-Eric
11-17-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

kinda experiencing this problem with a lentar 135/f2.8 which I thought was m42 but is t-mount with a m42 adapter.....swapped to a T to K adapter and now the lens focuses past infinity but get it short of the lens distance marker......so I am not convinced I am getting the proper registration distance.....will tinker and try to adjust but purdy sure how it is.....I prefer T to K over m42 to K

maybe you are focusing past infinity as well....maybe worth checking out
11-17-2019, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Donít forget... the T-mount is a M42 thread but isnít exactly the same as ďM42Ē...

And I had a lentar like that. Preset. It wasnít as nice as my Takumar, but it wasnít bad. I wouldnít be surprised if it focused a little past infinity.
Frankly, I wouldnít be surprised if any T-mount lens focused past infinity.

And some T-mounts have set screws to align the mount orientation, and thatís handy...

-Eric

11-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now, I think I may be confused about the "t-mount." When I remove all adapters from the lens, all that is left is a bare (non-threaded) ring. Perhaps what's on there IS a thread adapter of another sort? I need to see if I can remove the ring...
11-17-2019, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the focus ring is slipping then you may well have lost the infinity focus position. Look at the focus ring: are there three small set (grub) screws to hold it in position? are they loose?
To correct the infinity focus, rotate focus to infinity position ie to its infinity stop. Loosen the set screws and back the focus ring off a little bit, retighten.
11-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And I had a lentar like that. Preset. It wasn’t as nice as my Takumar, but it wasn’t bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if it focused a little past infinity.
Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if any T-mount lens focused past infinity.
And some T-mounts have set screws to align the mount orientation, and that’s handy...
the lentar is quite nice and thus far I believe it performs better m42 to k but some shots I took earlier seem decent but the infinity thing....other T mounts work great with distance scale and infinity....the aligning screws is the reason I prefer t-mount

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
The focus mechanism seems to "slip" when focusing, but with a bit of upward pressure, it grabs and the mechanism moves.
I missed this earlier being consumed with my experience today and jumped right to it.......marcus has nice instructions to relign and get t not to 'slip' anymore
11-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now, I think I may be confused about the "t-mount." When I remove all adapters from the lens, all that is left is a bare (non-threaded) ring. Perhaps what's on there IS a thread adapter of another sort? I need to see if I can remove the ring...

Maybe this thread might help you, jawats?
Vivitar 500mm lens coming unglued? - PentaxForums.com

11-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Maybe this thread might help you, jawats?
Vivitar 500mm lens coming unglued? - PentaxForums.com
It seems my issue is different. That said, your photos seem to confirm that this lens has some quality to it. Also, it helps me with the location of various parts. Thank you!
11-17-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It seems my issue is different. That said, your photos seem to confirm that this lens has some quality to it. Also, it helps me with the location of various parts. Thank you!
You're welcome. I hope you can get your 500 fixed because it should be able to deliver some good images.
The challenge is getting it stabilized and in focus. Good luck!