Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SMC Tak 85-210mm

Before I just chuck it in the trash, i wanted to confirm my theories:

I recently bought a SMC Tak 85-210mm from Ebay. Reallllly cheap, so I'm ok if I only keep the lens and end caps.

Had some film going off to be developed/scanned, so I took a quick test roll to see if i made the right choice not taking this lens travelling. I think I did.

I have attached a sample. Not all of the photos have the shadow, but enough do. Happens at different focal lengths. This is the first time i've used this lab, but the rolls shot with another lens exhibit none of this, so... i'm pretty sure they didn't screw anything up.

This lens feels loose, so I'm not surprised. Can someone please confirm my suspicions that this lens isn't supposed to feel loose? If you have a easy-ish fix for that, I would also be interested in hearing it.

Thanks for your time,

Anthony

Attached Images

11-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you try in on digital? Can you see anything inside the lens that may explain the black part? To me it looks like the problem comes when mounting the lens.
11-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Can you try in on digital? Can you see anything inside the lens that may explain the black part? To me it looks like the problem comes when mounting the lens.
I'll take a closer look at the mounting area. I don't currently have adapter to connect it to anything digital, but... i should probably get one. I would say maybe half the roll has this effect.
11-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's an old lens. Zooming could get a little uneven. I have the k-mount version of this lens. It has a rectangular baffle in the mount. I don't know if the takumar has that but maybe it has come loose so it vignettes?

11-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I’d be more worried if a zoom of that range and vintage wasn’t loose... since then it almost certainly would have been dropped...

I’m going to guess you’ve already looked through the lens with a strong flashlight to see if anything looks misaligned.

That’s a weird shape for a lens issue... does that lens have a rectangular baffle in the back?

And are you shooting on a Spotmatic, as your user id implies? Or something with a vertical shutter?

It would be easier to diagnose on a digital body.

I’m really reaching, though

Does it happen at all shutter speeds?

-Eric
11-22-2019, 04:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have suggested, I'd test it on a digital body. It looks like a loose baffle at the back could cause it. Do you recall if it is more prominent at specific apertures?

Thanks,
11-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I found a picture of the back online. You can see a baffle receded into the rear. Check if it is loose or it looks shifted or something.

https://www.wide-angle.nl/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/RV113412.jpg

11-22-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A baffling solution to a baffling problem. Sorry.
11-22-2019, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
A baffling solution to a baffling problem. Sorry.
I'm baffled why you would say that

But that would be my guess. Really, that's the only thing in the lens that's straight...
Every other edge is round, so unless it's interfering with the mirror or something, that seems most likely.

-Eric
11-23-2019, 01:17 AM   #10

If you don't have a digital, you can set the lens to infinity and stick a focusing screen (or even a plastic tape with some doodles) to film area. Then view it with another camera at infinity from the front, you should be able to see the doodles sharp in another camera's viewfinder. See if you can spot that black shadow
11-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I found a picture of the back online. You can see a baffle receded into the rear. Check if it is loose or it looks shifted or something.

https://www.wide-angle.nl/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/RV113412.jpg
That looks very familiar... I see the baffle you're talking about, and it appears to be in firmly.

---------- Post added 11-28-19 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think I’d be more worried if a zoom of that range and vintage wasn’t loose... since then it almost certainly would have been dropped...

I’m going to guess you’ve already looked through the lens with a strong flashlight to see if anything looks misaligned.

That’s a weird shape for a lens issue... does that lens have a rectangular baffle in the back?

And are you shooting on a Spotmatic, as your user id implies? Or something with a vertical shutter?

It would be easier to diagnose on a digital body.

I’m really reaching, though

Does it happen at all shutter speeds?

-Eric
Yes, there's the baffle in the back, which appears to be in firmly. Yes, Spotmatic is my name, spotmatic is also my game

I've got an adapter coming so I can do more testing on a digital back.

I didn't track the shutter speeds in my test roll, but there could be a correlation there...

The roll just before it (within a week or so) through the 55mm f1.8 came out clean. I'll see what digital testing shows, adapter should be here by the weekend.