Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2019, 05:47 AM   #1

VIVITAR P&B 135mm

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
thanks for admitting me to your forum.

My name is Roger, I'm pretty new to photography. I was turned on to M42 lenses as a inexpensive way to quickly grow my lens collection.
To be honest, I went a little mad to start with.

Long story short, by the time I got round to checking my VIVITAR P&B 135mm TELEPHOTO LENS (T Mount) for infinity focus, I was delighted to find that it would do what I had been looking for ie, focus to infinity. I got some lovely results and went home happy.

Two days later, I took the lens out of my bag and it felt like the end was going to unscrew, and it was wobbling around an alarming amount.
Basically, the noob took a screwdriver to it and discovered that he was never going to be a lens technician. The biggest issue is all the aperture blades are out.
I only paid £17.50 for it, but it did what I wanted and I liked it's quirkiness, so my question is: What would it cost to get it repaired?

I have since bought another (later) Vivitar 135mm, but it doesn't do infinity.
Roger

11-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forums!

Wow, all the aperture blades out sounds really bad. I'm afraid I'm definitely not a lens technician myself (nor is my husband for that matter). The other day he tried to fix the aperture ring of a Pentax 50mm A f/1.7 and unfortunately lost a tiny part. Somewhere on the internet I came across a link of a person in (I think it was) Surrey in the UK. He didn't have the missing part, but he does do lens repairs and he was very nice and helpful on the phone. Have a look at his site and maybe give him a ring? Here's the link: CAMERA REPAIRS, LENS REPAIRS in WEST LONDON , SURREY , TW17 , TW18 Good luck!
11-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You may be better served to try and find another one...

If it is a T-mount lens, you can simply swap your mount with whatever is on the lens you find, so you can get one with any other T-Mount.

Finally, what is it about your other lens that isnít allowing infinity focus? If the T-mount adapter is installed properly, it should work fine. That said, is the adapter on? T-mount has a 42mm thread almost the same as M42, which can cause confusion...

-Eric
11-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #4

It will probably cost more to repair the lens than what you paid for it. Finding another copy would probably be a better option. Then you could either sell the "broken" lens for parts or tinker with it to try your hand at learning lens repair.

11-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm certain another one will turn up eventually; that might be your most cost-effective option with lenses of this vintage.
11-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I'm certain another one will turn up eventually; that might be your most cost-effective option with lenses of this vintage.
If you have this lens Vivitar P and B ( Soligor et al) 135mm 3.5 Preset T-mount Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database, it may not be worth trying to get it repaired since its market value isn't high and its performance isn't stellar. If you can find (and can afford) one of these Vivitar Auto Close Focusing (1:2) 135mm f/2.8 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database that's a different story. According to the review, they were made in M42 and Pentax K mount, and an average user rating of 9.44 ain't too shabby!

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 11-24-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added greeting
11-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guys, what you seem to disregard, is that the TS really liked the results of the lens before it broke, that he has already bought another one, but would still like to try and have the first one repaired. No harm in that surely? If he's anything like me - yeah, I would do the same, provided it doesn't cost me too much.