Newbie on this forum. Krijn is my name

I have a problem with the pentax Kp and the da 16 85
Turning the camera in I Hearst Some rattling sound
With other lenses I Dont have this noise

Sorry for poor english

11-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! Commonly some rattling noise comes from the sensor stabilization when the camera's powered off. Could it be that you tested the 16-85 with the camera off and the other lenses with the camera powered on?
11-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I Hear the noise sometimes very loud when I put the camera on
11-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
first question

was aaacb correct

if not

is the lens under any type of warranty

if under Pentax warranty send it in

Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-pent...ml#post3566309

if under a third party warranty contact them and see what they want you to do

11-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aaacb
isnt correct. No noise turning the camera off
Only camera turning on noise for a while
Dont know if IT is the body or the lense

Yes I have quarantee
11-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

An easy test would be to try the lens on another Pentax camera body (maybe at a Pentax dealer or something like that) to see if the same or a similar thing happens.

I have a Pentax 16-85 and I have never had a problem with it.
11-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My brother owns a Kp and there is NOT the noise

11-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Since there is no similar noise from your other lenses, are they autofocus lenses? I am thinking with your DA 16-85mm lens, something is happening when you turn on your camera and that lens's AF system engages. I suggest with the camera on, that you switch the camera control on the side from AF to MF then turn off the camera. After a short time, with the control still set to MF, turn on the camera to see if the noise still happens. If it does not happen, this means the lens's AF system is making the noise. It could also be some other problem with the lens.

I do not own that lens. Maybe that noise is normal for it. I chose the DA 18-135mm lens instead for its zoom range and its fast AF. I just now put it on my KP, and I can tell you it makes no significant noise when I turn on the camera. In fact it is very quiet- no noise.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-27-2019 at 03:26 PM.
11-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Hello Guys

Newbie on this forum. Krijn is my name

I have a problem with the pentax Kp and the da 16 85
Turning the camera in I Hearst Some rattling sound
With other lenses I Dont have this noise

Sorry for poor english
The rattling noise is most likely the camera's dust removal system working. It could be that the noise is more amplified with that particular lens. To help us check if that is the case, I suggest you take a video clip with your phone or another camera and post that to Youtube and link here, so we can hear what you hear.

Also, can you confirm if it makes this noise if you turn the camera on with no lens attached?

Kind regards,
Mark

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-28-2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Brain fade moment.
11-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The rattling noise is most likely the camera's shake reduction system working. It could be that the noise is more amplified with that particular lens. To help us check if that is the case, I suggest you take a video clip with your phone or another camera and post that to Youtube and link here, so we can hear what you hear.

Also, can you confirm if it makes this noise if you turn the camera on with no lens attached?

Kind regards,
Mark
Could it possibly be the dust removal option?
If mounting that lens on another KP produces no noise, then it's not the lens, so all there's left is your camera body.
Go into the menu (it's possible that your brother has Dust Removal turned off on startup so there'd be no noise), look for the dust removal option, and turn it off for both startup and shutdown (on and off).
Now try turning on the camera with the lens attached and see if you still hear any noises. Do you have horizon correction on? Composition adjustment? If so, turn those off as well. Basically, turn off anything that may cause the sensor to move (including Shake Reduction). If you can, look at your brothers KP settings in the menu and copy them on your camera to a custom user setting so the changes can be tested and removed afterwards (unless you want to keep his settings), is the noise still there or is it now gone?

PS: I notice in your post you say when you turn the camera "in", did you mean when powering it on, or when you rotate/angle the camera?
11-28-2019, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
If mounting that lens on another KP produces no noise, then it's not the lens, so all there's left is your camera body.
Go into the menu (it's possible that your brother has Dust Removal turned off on startup so there'd be no noise), look for the dust removal option, and turn it off for both startup and shutdown (on and off).
Now try turning on the camera with the lens attached and see if you still hear any noises. Do you have horizon correction on? Composition adjustment? If so, turn those off as well. Basically, turn off anything that may cause the sensor to move (including Shake Reduction). If you can, look at your brothers KP settings in the menu and copy them on your camera to a custom user setting so the changes can be tested and removed afterwards (unless you want to keep his settings), is the noise still there or is it now gone?

PS: I notice in your post you say when you turn the camera "in", did you mean when powering it on, or when you rotate/angle the camera?
Sorry - that's what I wanted to say but I had a brain fart moment. I meant "dust removal".
11-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sorry - that's what I wanted to say but I had a brain fart moment. I meant "dust removal".
All good.
11-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote

Camera switch on
11-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Camera switch on
Okay, then follow what I mentioned in my last post regarding the Dust removal options.