Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #1

Can it harm Pentax 6X7 to use without battery?

Pure beginner in medium format film; I've just received an ebay purchase of a Pentax 67 camera, it was a used and long-unused camera which came in a case with bits and pieces, extra films and extra batteries etc-- I loaded the film and battery but the battery test light isn't turning on so I assumed the batteries are old. I am used to shooting Pentax k1000 35mm which also requires a battery for light meter but still functions without-- so when I shot my first photo, the shutter seemed to jam. I read some forums so realised that it does in fact need a battery for use, I am just wondering, will it go back to normal upon installing a fresh battery or will I need to take some extra measures to return it to working order?

Thank you!

11-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

believe batteries are required for operation

Pentax 6x7 - Pentax 6x7 Medium Format - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My understanding is that as long as it is working properly, fresh batteries will let it complete the cycle and reset. But I can't confirm it.

Thanks,
11-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
My understanding is that as long as it is working properly, fresh batteries will let it complete the cycle and reset. But I can't confirm it
that's what I read in one of the reviews.....but have no experience

11-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Pentax 6x7 and Pentax 67 (1969 and 1989 respectively) all require a battery for activation of the shutter and mirror circuits via the solenoid. It is not a manual/'batteryless" camera. As you are a beginner with this camera, it is best to use it with a battery, as designed. That said, a specific modification is available to use the camera without a battery so that extended time exposures (Bulb) can be used (e.g. for astrophotography) rather than limited to the 4-5 hour Bulb exposure with a fresh battery.

If the battery is weak or flat, pressing the shutter button will cause the mirror to stop half way. The solution is to insert a fresh battery, then use a matchstick or toothpick inserted into the reset nib on the left of the front of the camera (viewed from the front). Press the shutter once after that and wind on. Note that film is not necessarily required to be loaded for this reset step, but the camera must have film loaded at any other time for the shutter to fire.

To avoid any unexpected problems, please read the following:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/372838-...ter-prism.html

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2019 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
My understanding is that as long as it is working properly, fresh batteries will let it complete the cycle and reset. But I can't confirm it.

Thanks,

The camera cannot complete a reset by itself with a fresh battery. Resetting is a user-intervention and a critical point point in operational fluency of the camera.
11-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the clarification.