Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #1

LensPen anyone?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As an experiment - and by way of learning - I bought rather a neglected dslr and it needs a good clean. Rather than use a sensor swab I wondered about LensPen. Anyone had good results with this gadget? LensPenŽ - LENSPEN

And if so, does one really need the special angled one for sensor cleaning?

12-01-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Imo they are for lens surfaces only, not sensors. I would only go with sensor swabs.
12-01-2019, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Imo they are for lens surfaces only, not sensors. I would only go with sensor swabs.
I agree with Kevin and would not use the len pen on the sensor. Scatching the sensor will ruin it. I've really only had to use a swab once, on my K100D Super, years ago. My rocket blower usually takes care of anything on the sensor.

---------- Post added 12-01-2019 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jayartibee Quote
As an experiment - and by way of learning - I bought rather a neglected dslr and it needs a good clean. Rather than use a sensor swab I wondered about LensPen. Anyone had good results with this gadget? LensPenŽ - LENSPEN

I am a fan of the lens pens for lenses though.
12-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I had one time when there was something more 'sticky' than dust, and sensor swabs did the trick.

12-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used it in sensors for years with great results. However, I was told there are many knockoffs out there. Not sure how true that is.
12-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would absolutely avoid lens pen for sensor cleaning as well.
12-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with the other posters -- avoid for sensor cleaning. Great for lenses though.

12-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I would absolutely avoid lens pen for sensor cleaning as well.
Having read reviews from people who said that it left some residue on the glass, I would never get close to my lenses with one, least of all a sensor. The right tool for the right job - sensor swabs that are suitable for the sensor size you have.
12-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even genuine ones may leave some residue so I would not use them for the sensor. They work well on lenses but make sure you use a rocket blower first.
12-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Having read reviews from people who said that it left some residue on the glass, I would never get close to my lenses with one, least of all a sensor. The right tool for the right job - sensor swabs that are suitable for the sensor size you have.
I have the same experience with them. I tried the pen on lenses, and not only it was not really effective (compared to regular wet cleaning), but I spotted carbon particle on the lens afterwards. While I could easily throw them away with a blower, I would never use such a thing for a sensor, inside a camera, when those same particle could do invisible damage to my camera. Sensor swabs, on the other hand, are perfect for sensor cleaning, I never had any issue with them and they're cheap.
12-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Which sensor cleaning kit would people recommend ? I've found this one - has anyone any experience ?

Pixel Peeper Pro Sensor Cleaning Kit for APS-C Cameras. 6 x Swabs + Fluid. CCD 5060291254181 | eBay

Cheers
12-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jayartibee Quote

I would use a lens pen as a last step if needed. For a neglected sensor, I would first start with a good blower to clear any large particles. Next, I would use a wet swab system for any residue or spots. The lens pen works great if the sensor surface is clean and clear of any particles that could scratch the sensor.

The only advantage of the angled lens pen is that it is easier to see what you're doing in tight spaces, but it is not essential for sensor cleaning.
12-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't even use LensPen on lens coatings. (A bit too abrasive for my taste.) Only a good blower and a soft, meticulously clean microfiber cloth.

As for stubborn sensor dirt, i.e. stuff that cannot be removed by sensor-shake/ultrasonic DR nor the blower, wet cleaning has always done the trick for me. I trust the swabs and cleaner fluid from VSGO or Rollei, used carefully following the instructions. The swabs come in different sizes for APS-C and FF sensors.
12-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

That Lenspen product link is for lenses. Do not use it on sensors. There are several issues with using it on sensors, the most obvious being the tip is curved to match the typical lens front element, while sensors are flat.

The Lenspen company does sell a sensor cleaning kit. I don't know whether it's good or not. I've been fortunate to never need anything more than a rocket blower to clean my sensors.
12-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a lens pen but have never used it on my best glass and definitely not for sensors. Blower and sensor swabs for sensor.
A lot of people swear by lens pens for lenses but I'm a bit nervous about them (especially for my limited lenses) and now stick to a blower followed by "Zeiss Pre-Moistened Cleaning Cloths" which do a great job.