Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #31

Running the upgrade from Windows (online or from downloaded media) gives you the option to keep your apps and data otherwise it gets wiped. The upgrade process will update all your drivers and flag any incompatible programs. Indeed it actually re-installs much of you old software. The old driver store and Windows program gets left in the Windows.old. It basically saves you having to reinstall all your apps and hunt down drivers and install.

12-10-2019, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just downloaded a copy of Faststone works well and is relatively easy to navigate.

Thanks for the advice
12-11-2019, 02:12 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Running the upgrade from Windows (online or from downloaded media) gives you the option to keep your apps and data otherwise it gets wiped. The upgrade process will update all your drivers and flag any incompatible programs. Indeed it actually re-installs much of you old software. The old driver store and Windows program gets left in the Windows.old. It basically saves you having to reinstall all your apps and hunt down drivers and install.
I wasn't aware that a clean-install can be done with the old WIN7/8 keys, good to know!

I keep images of my Windows at different stages and often go back to an early image because it is clean.
Of course it has to be updated but it is so obvious how much better a clean system works.
12-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I wasn't aware that a clean-install can be done with the old WIN7/8 keys, good to know!

I keep images of my Windows at different stages and often go back to an early image because it is clean.
Of course it has to be updated but it is so obvious how much better a clean system works.
I do a lot of software testing, and clean systems are essential to ensure a consistent testing platform and eliminate variables when it comes to fault isolation.