Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Or just upgrade to Windows 10 while it is still free.
I thought the free Windows 10 upgrade expired a few years ago. Do you know something I don't know?

Last edited by ecostigny; 12-03-2019 at 10:55 AM.
12-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I thought the free Windows 10 upgrade expired a few years ago. Do you know something I don't know?
As long as you are using a licensed and activated version of Windows 7 or 8.x you can still upgrade for free:

Upgrade to Windows 10 free, here's how - CNET
12-03-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
As long as you are using a licensed and activated version of Windows 7 or 8.x you can still upgrade for free:

I'm still getting a link on my task bar to install windows 10 for free. Not sure if I will go that route or not. I tried to updated the codec but it said it was not applicable. Based on the date of the update, my computer is probably a couple of years newer.

---------- Post added 12-03-2019 at 02:55 PM ----------

I just downloaded the FastStone image viewer and it looks pretty good as I can view the thumbnails pretty large. I am going to play around with this and see how it goes.
12-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I use Faststone, and also Irfanview (also free) - reads K10 and K20 PEF files, from before I saw the light (!).

12-03-2019, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Download Faststone image viewer. It's free.
Absolutely!

Download and install Faststone, and then, in Windows/File Explorer, click on a jpg or DNG file, right click, select "Open With" (instead of "Open") and from the drop-down list of Apps then select FastStone, or else search for that on your HDD/SSD, click on the .EXE file and select that!

Works with any Windows version from (at least) W7 onwards - "been there, done that"!

PS: Faststone Image Viewer is ALSO a very good basic image editor for a lot of things, as well as being a decent basis for simple presentations of a series of jpgs & DNGs as long as they are in the same folder - therefore it has become my default image tool, as it has for most of the members of my U3A Digital Photo Group after one of the other members found and told us about it

PPS: Faststone is "free" - but, with all those facilities and advantages, it would be a "good idea" to make a Paypal donation to the developers. I did and I have certainly never regretted it

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 09:05 PM ----------

"Been there, done that" quite a few times

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 09:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I'm still getting a link on my task bar to install windows 10 for free. Not sure if I will go that route or not. I tried to updated the codec but it said it was not applicable. Based on the date of the update, my computer is probably a couple of years newer...[COLOR="Silver"].
The link to the Windows 10 update has worked on some of our W7 PC's dating from 2008 - so how "old" is yours?

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2019 at 02:17 PM.
12-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Absolutely!

Download and install Faststone, and then, in Windows/File Explorer, click on a jpg or DNG file, right click, select "Open With" (instead of "Open") and from the drop-down list of Apps then select FastStone, or else search for that on your HDD/SSD, click on the .EXE file and select that!

Works with any Windows version from (at least) W7 onwards - "been there, done that"!

PS: Faststone Image Viewer is ALSO a very good basic image editor for a lot of things, as well as being a decent basis for simple presentations of a series of jpgs & DNGs as long as they are in the same folder - therefore it has become my default image tool, as it has for most of the members of my U3A Digital Photo Group after one of the other members found and told us about it

PPS: Faststone is "free" - but, with all those facilities and advantages, it would be a "good idea" to make a Paypal donation to the developers. I did and I have certainly never regretted it

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 09:05 PM ----------

"Been there, done that" quite a few times

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 09:15 PM ----------

The link to the Windows 10 update has worked on some of our W7 PC's dating from 2008 - so how "old" is yours?
My computer is probably 2014-15 time frame. Im just a little nervous that upgrading may create other unforseen issues😮
12-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #22

I'm running Windows 10 on a 10+ year old system upgraded from Win7. No problems whatsoever.

If you're going from Windows 8x the upgrade will be easier. Microsoft has upgrade assistant tools which will audit your system (software and hardware) and pinpoint potential problems.

If you don't do a clean install you can always rollback the upgrade.

12-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm running Windows 10 on a 10+ year old system upgraded from Win7. No problems whatsoever.

If you're going from Windows 8x the upgrade will be easier. Microsoft has upgrade assistant tools which will audit your system (software and hardware) and pinpoint potential problems.

If you don't do a clean install you can always rollback the upgrade.
That doesn't sound too bad.
12-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #24
Pentaxian

My computer is probably 2014-15 time frame. Im just a little nervous that upgrading may create other unforseen issues��
The biggest "issues" are all the "very regular" W10 updates and the Microsoft "spying" and "bloatware" that come with W10 - so use something like O&O "ShutUp10" to deal with the "spying" and IObit "Uninstaller" to deal with the "bloatware" (there's probably a lot more that you can also uninstall - e.g. why would you want "Xbox stuff" if you don't have an Xbox? and there are many more!)

PS: there are probably other options to the Apps mentioned above but I haven't tried them.

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-03-2019 at 03:23 PM.
12-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
The biggest "issues" are all the "very regular" W10 updates and the Microsoft "spying" and "bloatware" that come with W10 - so use something like O&O "ShutUp10" to deal with the "spying" and IObit "Uninstaller" to deal with the "bloatware" (there's probably a lot more that you can also uninstall - e.g. why would you want "Xbox stuff" if you don't have an Xbox? and there are many more!)

PS: there are probably other options to the Apps mentioned above but I haven't tried them.
I will definately use these if I upgrade. Thanks!
12-04-2019, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Download Faststone image viewer. It's free.
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
+2 for FastStone; despite other programs I have, this is the one I use 99% of the time.
+1 from me also! It's the best all around freeware to view any kind of image. I love it.
12-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

That doesn't sound too bad.
I also have a 10-year-old system, but my attempts to upgrade at the time the upgrade was "free" seemed to be stymied by my motherboard (an Asus P6T) not officially supporting WIndows 10 (It worked just fine with Vista, 7, and 8.1). Maybe it's time I gave the free upgrade another shot.
12-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My view on this is quite simple. A clean first install of win10 is likely to be less troublesome that an upgrade from a win7/win8 setup.

I dont know about you but a few hundred dollars is a small price to pay to get a stable computer OS that will last you for 4/5 years ?

Last edited by pschlute; 12-04-2019 at 12:59 PM.
12-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My view on this is quite simple. A clean first install of win10 is likely to be less troublesome that an upgrade from a win7/win8 setup.
Fully agree, I would never update but always do a good backup of all datas and then a clean-install!

Updates only if one has programs and drivers which would not work anymore with a new clean-install.
But then troubles included

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I dont know about you but a few hundred dollars is a small price to pay to get a stable computer OS that will last you for 4/5 years ?
Fully agree but a few hundred dollars ?
12-10-2019, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #30

You can do a clean install and use your Windows 7 or 8 product key to activate a digital license for free.

Or you can do the in place upgrade and your digital license will get stored on the Microsoft activation servers and you can do a boot install (boot from installation media), a reset/refresh install (run the setup from inside Windows). The catch is it has to be the same motherboard as first activated and same level of Windows - Home to Home, Pro to Pro. You have to buy a license if you want to go from Home to Pro.

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10 - Microsoft Community