Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #16

Did you change the EV Compensation value and forget to reset it? The only reasons I can think of for the camera to overexpose in a fully automated mode is if a manual flash is used, or if EV compensation is purposefully (or accidentally) set to overexpose.

Also, when you use a green auto mode, does the camera even let you change ISO manually? I'm surprised, that in the handshake shot, the camera even allowed the shutter speed to drop to 1/30 at 100mm. I've never used any green auto modes, but I assumed that they were entirely automatic with no overrides, and that they were clever enough not to push values too far the wrong way.

12-15-2019, 12:43 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
Did you change the EV Compensation value and forget to reset it? The only reasons I can think of for the camera to overexpose in a fully automated mode is if a manual flash is used, or if EV compensation is purposefully (or accidentally) set to overexpose.

Also, when you use a green auto mode, does the camera even let you change ISO manually? I'm surprised, that in the handshake shot, the camera even allowed the shutter speed to drop to 1/30 at 100mm. I've never used any green auto modes, but I assumed that they were entirely automatic with no overrides, and that they were clever enough not to push values too far the wrong way.
To Hot today over 40+ so yea will see what it is like tomorrow,

ISO can be set to a set value or Auto range in full Auto Mode, As for Shake reduction camera will all ways take the pick Even when the Shaky hand is showing.

Or it has on the K200 Can not remember if the ist-D had shake reduction or not, Humm may have to take a look me sister has that one.
12-15-2019, 04:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Since you prefer the camera to function as automatic everything, I think it best to leave your ISO set to auto as well, with the auto range set to ISO 100-6400. The reason being that over ISO 6400 quality starts to become degraded, and you could still switch over to manual setting of ISO if you want to go higher. One of your pics in the exif showed a ridiculously high ISO, probably causing over-exposure. Then, instead of using the green auto mode on the mode dial, use the "P" (Program) mode, which is still automatic for setting exposure, but allows you to instantly make changes if you wish to do so.

The green auto mode will disable many adjustment features, so you will not be able to learn photography techniques by making adjustments on your own. It will also automatically make changes to other aspects, like the Custom Image settings for example, according to what the camera "thinks" is going on in your photos. The green auto mode is best used only for temporary use by friends who do not know anything about your camera, so they will not make a mistake and hit a control knob or dial without realizing it.

The K200D is a good camera, I liked mine, but it does have a tendency to under-expose. This can sometimes be a benefit when it comes to use of flash at closer distances. if you do not have the mode dial set on green auto, you have two controls to regulate this issue. One is the +/- exposure comp control where you can tell the camera to reduce or increase exposure by a certain degree, and also the separate flash +/- control which regulates flash output, accessed via the flash button (with a lightning symbol). In both cases, the camera can remain as automatic exposure "P" so as the background lighting changes to brighter or darker the camera will compensate, but that compensation will then be with the + or - that you have set. In this flash menu you should be able set up the flash to pop-up when the camera "thinks" you should use it (maybe it comes already set this way), or set it so it will only pop-up when you touch the flash pop-up button.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-15-2019 at 04:38 AM.
12-15-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Since you prefer the camera to function as automatic everything, I think it best to leave your ISO set to auto as well, with the auto range set to ISO 100-6400. The reason being that over ISO 6400 quality starts to become degraded, and you could still switch over to manual setting of ISO.
Not so much that I prefer Auto settings it was just the fact I had to ignore all flashing icons indicating I my setting were way underexposed, Have been taking Photos as a Hobby for about 40 ood years First Camera was a cheap German thing full manual with built in light meter Second was a Pentax P30 Followed by the Pentax *ist-D. In some ways I miss the full manual cameras they were quicker to set just twist the Dials and that was it..

But After 4 resets and finding a small bit of plastic about 3mm x 1mm x 0.5mm in the body sitting on top of the Light meter censor in the bottom of camera all is looking rosy with the Metering system.

Test Shots on Auto after the several resets and removal of foreign object.

Thanking all for you assistance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-15-2019, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alanjt67 Quote
Not so much that I prefer Auto settings it was just the fact I had to ignore all flashing icons indicating I my setting were way underexposed, Have been taking Photos as a Hobby for about 40 ood years First Camera was a cheap German thing full manual with built in light meter Second was a Pentax P30 Followed by the Pentax *ist-D. In some ways I miss the full manual cameras they were quicker to set just twist the Dials and that was it..

But After 4 resets and finding a small bit of plastic about 3mm x 1mm x 0.5mm in the body sitting on top of the Light meter censor in the bottom of camera all is looking rosy with the Metering system.

Test Shots on Auto after the several resets and removal of foreign object.

Thanking all for you assistance.
You just never know. Good think you found the foreign object. Intermittent issue can drive you crazy.

I had a dualsport motorcycle once that would randomly shut off while riding. Then as soon as you would stop, it would start up an go for another 2 - 3 days before it would do it again. Was making me nuts. Turns out where the tool box and owners manual were stored was right by the intake. The manual was in a plastic bag and the bouncing around caused it to occasionaly get sucked over the intake, choking the engine.

Anyway, glad you solved it. Happy shooting!