Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-1 LCD display won't turn on for a few minutes (after pixel shift mode)

Hi:

This past Sunday I went to take some long exposure photos of the sunrise at a beach nearby (using a remote cable).
Took 8 to 9 photos without problem, then a wave splatter some water an a few drops hit the camera but nothing too serious (I did noticed a drop of water near the remote cable port). Took 5 more photos still everything normal.

However, I switched the K-1 menu to take 2 or 3 bracketed / pixel shift resolution photos since I do not play much with those functions.
First photo was take and "stitched" perfectly then suddenly after taking the second photo the LCD went completely black.

I waited a minute to see if the camera was processing the image to the SD Card but nothing happened so I decided to turn the camera off/on.
Thru the viewfinder I could see the all the photographic parameters, however nothing was showing on the LCD. It would not let me to change functions.
I decided to swap to a fresh battery, but same thing, I could see the all the photographic parameters and even take a photo but no LCD.

I put the camera on the bag and took a break. After 10 minutes I turned the camera on and everything was completely normal.

However, after 10-15 photos normal photos it did the same thing while taking photos using the pixel shift resolution mode.
So, I once again waited like 5 minutes and everything was back to normal.

The camera have the latest firmware installed and it is the first time something like this happens. Any ideas?

12-17-2019, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, for repeatable issues like this I would search the menu for things like enabled nr or other time consuming functions and turn them all off and try again. If there is no improvement then try and isolate the exact behaviour for analysis.
12-17-2019, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put the camera in a bag of rice or some other dessicant. Leave it for 24 hours.
12-17-2019, 06:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by e_nogueras Quote
The camera have the latest firmware installed and it is the first time something like this happens. Any ideas?
That's normal. The display is only active in PS mode if the image preview is enabled. If the image preview is disabled, the rear LCD display stays black when a pixel shift sequence is triggered.

12-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's normal. The display is only active in PS mode if the image preview is enabled. If the image preview is disabled, the rear LCD display stays black when a pixel shift sequence is triggered.

The problem was, it won't do anything for more than 5 minutes. No information at all, even the mirror won't go up for the live view mode.
12-17-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 has a slow shutter noise reduction routine that tries to reduce noise from dark images. Hit Menu, 2, Noise reduction, Slow Shutter speed NR- turn it off, the display should come back quickly.
12-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The K-1 has a slow shutter noise reduction routine that tries to reduce noise from dark images. Hit Menu, 2, Noise reduction, Slow Shutter speed NR- turn it off, the display should come back quickly.
I will try that. Thank you BigDave!

12-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
" I put the camera on the bag and took a break. After 10 minutes I turned the camera on and everything was completely normal."

After the camera is turned off it will go back to normal. Pixel shift behavior is like HDR in some camera.

Read more at: K-1 LCD display won't turn on for a few minutes (after pixel shift mode) - PentaxForums.com