Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

K70 issues

Hi, I have just bought a K70 and the 55-300mm PLM lens, and although I love the camera, I am having real issues with getting sharp shots with it. I have been used to optical IS previously, so it took a little getting used to with the image not being stabilised in the viewfinder, but am gradually getting used to that. The problem is, my hands are not the steadiest, and even though I'm using reasonable shutter speeds, 1/400 - 1/500, I am not getting sharp shots, it doesn't seem like the shake reduction is doing very much? this is just generally taking shots in the garden etc. especially at a distance. I've tried all the normal advice, like standing/breathing correctly, elbows tucked in etc. but still not having much luck, and most photos coming out pretty soft. Any other advice? I read somewhere that you can check to see if shake reduction was active during the photo being taken on Photome, but can't find this on there at all. I haven't had this problem before at all with previous cameras, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

12-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firstly, looking through the viewfinder of my K-70 and my 55-300PLM lens, the image is stabilized in the viewfinder and does not shake for me even if I purposely shake the camera a little. this suggests to me that there may in fact be an issue with your image stabilization.

After checking that camera stabilization is in fact turned on in camera via the camera menu, I would suggest setting the camera on a flat surface to eliminate potential shake, then set the self timer to two seconds, take a photo in Auto mode, and then see if the photos turn out sharp.

If not, there may be an issue with either the lens being faulty or camera stabilization is not working.

Looking at the picture from within the Pentax software "Silkypix", you can see if image stabilization was on in the "shooting information" on the right hand side once you scroll to near the bottom of that list.

Last edited by VILLAINofOZ; 12-20-2019 at 07:26 AM.
12-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #3

Make sure the IS active icon (waving hand) is lit in the viewfinder before releasing the shutter. It should come in in a moment or two after the half press of the shutter button.
12-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Can you post some images, to help us evaluate the issue, please ?

12-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ah ok, thanks for replies. Yes the SR is definately turned on, and yes it is definately shaking in the viewfinder, after half pressing and holding the shutter button for a while there is no sign of any less shaking. The little waving hand icon is on all the time when looking through the viewfinder, even before half pressing the shutter, and it doesn't change whether half pressed or not. does this sound like it could be faulty? The view through the viewfinder does not change whether shutter is half pressed or not. I will try to upload a couple of pics shortly. thanks again.

---------- Post added 20-12-19 at 09:11 AM ----------

Oh and I will try looking at the pic in the silkypix software and let you know, thanks. Jacqui.
12-20-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
Firstly, looking through the viewfinder of my K-70 and my 55-300PLM lens, the image is stabilized in the viewfinder and does not shake for me even if I purposely shake the camera a little. this suggests to me that there may in fact be an issue with your image stabilization.
This is impossible. The SR system only works by moving the sensor. How are you getting a stabilized image in an optocal viewfinder except you are using in-lens stabilisation with a Sigma lens?
12-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
Firstly, looking through the viewfinder of my K-70 and my 55-300PLM lens, the image is stabilized in the viewfinder and does not shake for me even if I purposely shake the camera a little.
Not so! If you are looking directly through the optical viewfinder, you DON"T see the effect of image stabilization, which is done by the sensor being moved around. As opposed to, say, Canon stabilized lenses, where you can indeed see the effect of shake reduction kicking in.

Not sure about live view.

12-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacqui2 Quote
Ah ok, thanks for replies. Yes the SR is definately turned on, and yes it is definately shaking in the viewfinder, after half pressing and holding the shutter button for a while there is no sign of any less shaking. The little waving hand icon is on all the time when looking through the viewfinder, even before half pressing the shutter, and it doesn't change whether half pressed or not. does this sound like it could be faulty? The view through the viewfinder does not change whether shutter is half pressed or not. I will try to upload a couple of pics shortly. thanks again.

---------- Post added 20-12-19 at 09:11 AM ----------

Oh and I will try looking at the pic in the silkypix software and let you know, thanks. Jacqui.
SR has no effect on the optical viewfinder (only in-lens stabilisation provided by some older Sigma lenses can do that).

I think it would be good to rule out other possible problems like missed focus and the like first (by using a tripot and 2sec delay for instance)
12-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Not sure about live view.
LV should be stabilised in my opinion but I'll check with my K-3 when I am at home
12-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #10

I occasionally get a blurry shot and the only reason I can come up with is that the IBIS got it wrong. However, if all of your shots are soft the either IBIS is off, or broken, or you have a focusing error, or your ISO is set too high, or....?
Post some photos and someone on here should be able to help out.
Note: as previously stated, IBIS doesn't stabilize the viewfinder.
12-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
Ok thanks. Yes this is happening with quite a lot of shots, and I have taken several of the same target. Unless it is just not as effective as optical which I have had previously, so therefore, this will take a bit of getting used to. How about what was mentioned regarding the waving hand icon showing up once the shutter button is half pressed? Mine is on all the time regardless of whether I have half pressed or not. Is this correct for the K70? Thanks.
12-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about what was mentioned regarding the waving hand icon showing up once the shutter button is half pressed? Mine is on all the time regardless of whether I have half pressed or not. Is this correct for the K70? Thanks.
This seems odd to me, on my K-3 it only lights up when the shutter button is half pressed.

The best way to do a remote analysis is however with an image attached in a post so we can take a look at the exif data.
12-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi, I have just bought a K70 and the 55-300mm PLM lens, and although I love the camera, I am having real issues with getting sharp shots with it. I have been used to optical IS previously, so it took a little getting used to with the image not being stabilised in the viewfinder, but am gradually getting used to that. The problem is, my hands are not the steadiest, and even though I'm using reasonable shutter speeds, 1/400 - 1/500, I am not getting sharp shots, it doesn't seem like the shake reduction is doing very much? this is just generally taking shots in the garden etc. especially at a distance. I've tried all the normal advice, like standing/breathing correctly, elbows tucked in etc. but still not having much luck, and most photos coming out pretty soft. Any other advice? I read somewhere that you can check to see if shake reduction was active during the photo being taken on Photome, but can't find this on there at all. I haven't had this problem before at all with previous cameras, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Other things to consider are reset the camera to default settings, turn off distortion corrections, select the best auto focus points of your lens, remove and reinstall the lens, flip AF to MF and try each shot and last is to test your lens for focus adjustments. Sample of photo can identify the weakness.
12-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #14

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. I will try to get one uploaded shortly. I haven't tried a reset, but have tried AF micro adjust etc. but will have a play around with all your suggestions, and report back. thanks again. Jacqui.
12-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #15

Original Poster
Heres one example.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo