Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2019, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Picture Info

OK here we go. Went to a Chinese light show last night at a zoo in Racine, Illinois where they darken most of zoo and bring in light displays. I will be posting the album in the picture section and I WELCOME critique of any kind. It was my FIRST experience in both night and EV control use. Using K70 with 18x135 lens. Now FINALLY for my question. When viewing picture and pull file info is this 1/40 sec. f/4.5 40mm displayed what the camera sets it at or the actual speed with EV compensation I changed too? I did attach the picture I took of entry way.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-21-2019, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your post made my check my instruction manual, and then resort to Wikipedia, because I use EV constantly but had always just taken it for granted.

So, if you use shutter priority or program mode, the camera calculates the correct f-stop, based on available light. With EV, you are telling it not to trust it's reading, but to go higher or lower +/-. So the answer is, the metadata for your photo is the actual f-stop used, based on the measured light conditions plus or minus the EV compensation you specified.

Hope that makes sense?
12-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
Your post made my check my instruction manual, and then resort to Wikipedia, because I use EV constantly but had always just taken it for granted.

So, if you use shutter priority or program mode, the camera calculates the correct f-stop, based on available light. With EV, you are telling it not to trust it's reading, but to go higher or lower +/-. So the answer is, the metadata for your photo is the actual f-stop used, based on the measured light conditions plus or minus the EV compensation you specified.

Hope that makes sense?
I think so. So what I'm seeing is what I actually set it at not what camera tried before I changed. That makes sense. Just wasn't sure. Thanks
12-21-2019, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

The displayed settings (shutter, aperture, & ISO) are exactly what the camera used.

The best way to think about EV compensation is that EV compensation changes how the light meter behaves, not how the sensor or camera behave. Assuming the scene was identical, a shot at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 taken with EV+3 would be identical to one taken at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 with EV of -3.

EV compensation is your way of telling the light meter that the scene is darker or brighter than usual. The light meter measures the scene, adjusts by the EV compensation, and then sends the result to the camera.

12-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The displayed settings (shutter, aperture, & ISO) are exactly what the camera used.

The best way to think about EV compensation is that EV compensation changes how the light meter behaves, not how the sensor or camera behave. Assuming the scene was identical, a shot at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 taken with EV+3 would be identical to one taken at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 with EV of -3.

EV compensation is your way of telling the light meter that the scene is darker or brighter than usual. The light meter measures the scene, adjusts by the EV compensation, and then sends the result to the camera.
Thanks. Understood.
12-21-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A commendably lucid explanation, photoptimist. So much so that I will try to remember it for moments when I might have to explain it to someone puzzled by the concept.
12-21-2019, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a little confused about this. Your image EXIF data reports you were using aperture priority mode (f4.5), the shutter speed was 1/125s, and your exposure compensation was -2.70. Presumably without any exposure compensation the camera would have selected a shutter speed around 1/40s.

Assuming the scene was identical, a shot at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 taken with EV+3 would be identical to one taken at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 with EV of -3.
I don't see how two images taken with a spread of 6 EV could turn out the same. Changing the exposure compensation would change the aperture, shutter speed, or ISO value depending what mode you are in. Two shots taken at at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 would of course be the same. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point you are trying to make. I don't equate EV (brightness of a scene) with exposure compensation (pushing up or pulling down the exposure).

12-21-2019, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
...I don't see how two images taken with a spread of 6 EV could turn out the same. Changing the exposure compensation would change the aperture, shutter speed, or ISO value depending what mode you are in. Two shots taken at at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 would of course be the same. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point you are trying to make. I don't equate EV (brightness of a scene) with exposure compensation (pushing up or pulling down the exposure).
There are a couple of points that need clarifying. First, exposure compensation (or bias) is a much less confusing/accurate term than EV. I think EV1 is defined as a one second exposure with an f1.0 aperture at ISO100. The meter's range or AF sensitivity in your camera's specs are listed in EV, generally within the slightly negative to 22ish range.

Second, to the original question, the camera will use the numbers in the viewfinder, rear LCD or top display to take the shot and record those numbers in the EXIF. In Av mode like the OP, if you change compensation, those numbers change too. With an unchanging scene in the viewfinder and in Av mode, if you change the compensatiion from -3 to +3, you'll get shots with a 6EV spread because the settings will change right along with the compensation. That's allowed because Av is a semi-program mode - the camera uses the meter to calculate the other parameters in the shot. So you are biasing the meter, but the camera follows up by changing shutter speed.

Third, M mode works differently because it isn't a program mode. You can bias the meter with any compensation number but the settings don't change at all Two shots taken with different compensation numbers would be the same brightness.

TL;DR trust the camera display numbers.
12-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Starting with aperture priority the poster sets the ff: 1/40 sec. f/4.5 40mm, but the photo exif shows: f4.5, speed1/125, EV -2.70, Exposure mode-manual.
In aperture priority the camera changes the parameters except the F4.5 after the manual focusing, Whatever EV before setting, the exif EV is camera settings
One thing about EV in manual mode the camera sets the value or do not work.

Last edited by Penview52; 12-22-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: to correct it
12-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #10

Great question! This is something I had not thought about, but am glad to know now!
12-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
Here is example of using EV on top of K70. EV is ALL I changed and camera did other adjustments. I was shooting in AV mode and was at 53mm on both shots as you can see in photo. You can see adjustments camera made and can see the difference in photo brightness.

---------- Post added 12-24-19 at 08:28 AM ----------

Here is example of using EV on top of K70. EV is ALL I changed and camera did other adjustments. I was shooting in AV mode and was at 53mm on both shots as you can see in photo. You can see adjustments camera made and can see the difference in photo brightness.

https://flic.kr/p/2i4JCLK

Last edited by 1776freedomson; 12-24-2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Checking link
12-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 1776freedomson Quote

---------- Post added 12-24-19 at 08:28 AM ----------

Screenshot (28) | Freedomson1776 | Flickr
Video takes auto mode only. Dark photo you made the EV - , and bright photo you made the EV +. In Av mode if you rotate the aperture ring everything camera will select the settings, better used in plenty of light.
12-25-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I don't see how two images taken with a spread of 6 EV could turn out the same. Changing the exposure compensation would change the aperture, shutter speed, or ISO value depending what mode you are in. Two shots taken at at 1/40 sec. f/4.5, ISO 400 would of course be the same. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point you are trying to make. I don't equate EV (brightness of a scene) with exposure compensation (pushing up or pulling down the exposure).
Let's say the scene is a back-lit black cat on a sunlit snow field.

If one meters the white snow, the reading might be 1/1600, f/8, ISO 100. But shooting with that setting produces an image of dull gray snow and a pitch-black cat with no detail.

Setting EV compensation to +2 while metering the white snow changes the setting to 1/400, f/8, ISO 100 and produces a picture with white snow and a suitably black cat with black cat details.

If one meters the black cat, the reading might be 1/50, f/8, ISO 100. But shooting with that setting produces an image of gray cat surrounded by over-blown white featureless snow.

Setting EV compensation to -3 while metering the black cat changes the setting to 1/400, f/8, ISO 100 and produces a picture with white snow and a suitably black cat with black cat details.

Notice both the "white snow +2 EVC" and "black cat -3 EVC" approaches produced the same exposure settings and created the same image. The only thing that matters is the final exposure setting, not how that setting as created by some positive or negative EV compensation adjustment.

The point is that EV compensation is used to adjust the meter reading based on the photographer's knowledge about the gray-level of metered object (is it white snow or a black cat?) in the scene and the photographer's intended gray level of the metered object in the captured image (should the grays of the scene be realistic or exaggerated?).
12-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The point is that EV compensation is used to adjust the meter reading based on the photographer's knowledge about the gray-level of metered object
Yes I understand that. It just wasn't clear to me that you were talking about metering off of light and dark areas of the scene. My bad.
12-25-2019, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's say the scene is a back-lit black cat on a sunlit snow field.

If one meters the white snow, the reading might be 1/1600, f/8, ISO 100. But shooting with that setting produces an image of dull gray snow and a pitch-black cat with no detail.

Setting EV compensation to +2 while metering the white snow changes the setting to 1/400, f/8, ISO 100 and produces a picture with white snow and a suitably black cat with black cat details.

If one meters the black cat, the reading might be 1/50, f/8, ISO 100. But shooting with that setting produces an image of gray cat surrounded by over-blown white featureless snow.

Setting EV compensation to -3 while metering the black cat changes the setting to 1/400, f/8, ISO 100 and produces a picture with white snow and a suitably black cat with black cat details.

Notice both the "white snow +2 EVC" and "black cat -3 EVC" approaches produced the same exposure settings and created the same image. The only thing that matters is the final exposure setting, not how that setting as created by some positive or negative EV compensation adjustment.

The point is that EV compensation is used to adjust the meter reading based on the photographer's knowledge about the gray-level of metered object (is it white snow or a black cat?) in the scene and the photographer's intended gray level of the metered object in the captured image (should the grays of the scene be realistic or exaggerated?).
Right. I think the confusion here is there is definitely a difference in technique of using spot metering vs. using just the usual segmented or pattern meeting and just advancing or reducing exposure by a certain degree.