Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Finding image location for images posted to Flickr or Shutterfly?

I've read the beginning of the sticky post about how to post your pictures, and I understand the directions. But I've gotten real frustrated with both Flickr and Shutterfly: I can't seem to find the actual image location---i.e. the url that ends with the file name photo.jpg that I want to embed in a post over here.

So I have a really basic question: How do you find the image location---i.e. the url that ends with .jpg when you're in Flickr or Shutterfly?

When I'm logged into either Flickr.com or Shutterfly.com and I'm looking at the photo I want to link to here, I simply cannot find a way to get the image's actual location. So of course, the image doesn't embed properly over here.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

12-23-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

On Flickr, is there not a 'Share' button where you can then copy the URL. or even copy the BBCode (which you can paste directly in the editor box on the forum and it will post the image)?
12-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
On Flickr, is there not a 'Share' button where you can then copy the URL. or even copy the BBCode (which you can paste directly in the editor box on the forum and it will post the image)?
Thank you for pointing out that all I needed to find the "share" button!

It took a bit of poking around to find it, but I did find the share button. It was not labeled as "share" and the icon doesn't really indicate "share" to me. But now that I found it, I think I should be good to go now.
12-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robysue Quote
Thank you for pointing out that all I needed to find the "share" button!

It took a bit of poking around to find it, but I did find the share button. It was not labeled as "share" and the icon doesn't really indicate "share" to me. But now that I found it, I think I should be good to go now.
Great! Now we're all expecting you to post some photos

12-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just posted three insect pictures to the The Six-Megapixel Club

Having now figured out that the email "forward message arrow" means "share" in Flickr, it will be much easier for me to post pictures. Once my K-3 comes, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun posting new pictures as well as old ones.
12-23-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is the funky little sideways arrow at the bottom right. Click on it and then on BBcode. Copy the text and paste it into your post. You may want to change the text before saving your post.
Attached Images

12-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of us use the BBcode because it gives a url much easier to use than the "share" other way.

12-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

Aha! I’ve been using View Source and hunting in the HTML for the URL of the full-size JPEG!
12-23-2019, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #9

Original Poster
Again, thanks for all the help.

I know all about using the BBcode from another totally unrelated forum. It just took me a while to find and the realize the funky arrow was the link to what I needed.

I've now successfully posted a few pictures over in the The Six-Megapixel Club thread.

And here's a dragonfly to show that I know how to do it here as well.

12-23-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And here's a dragonfly to show that I know how to do it here as well.

I do this....

in Flickr use the "download" icon and select " view all sizes".
select the size of image you want to post
right click and select "copy image location"
Then use the "insert image" dialogue box on this website and paste the image location.

This works with Firefox at least..... like so......

12-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
but you are posting a link, not the picture itself.
When I look at my post (in Firefox and in Chrome), the image shows up as an image and if you click on it, it does behave as a link to the original photo over on Flickr.

Your way embeds just the picture and clicking on the image doesn't do anything.

Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?
12-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I look at my post (in Firefox and in Chrome), the image shows up as an image and if you click on it, it does behave as a link to the original photo over on Flickr.

Your way embeds just the picture and clicking on the image doesn't do anything.

Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?
i honestly dont know

I removed my reference to it embedding just the link because you are right it embeds the picture itself and uses that as the link to the Flickr page. Your method is a good one in that it directs folk to your Flickr page for further exploration. My method displays just the photo. I think it just comes down to personal choice,
12-23-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to PentaxForum rules, the photo we post here from flicker, must link back to Flickr.

This is under the heading of embedding a photo off site.

QuoteQuote:
Important: the link you enter here has to point directly to the image, not to a page containing to the image. The easiest way to verify that the link is correct is to check to see if it ends in an image filetype extension, such as .JPG, .GIF, or .PNG.

Also there is no need to remove the extra wording. It will not show once you have posted it and refreshed the page.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-23-2019 at 03:56 PM.
12-24-2019, 05:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, these forums are sure great for learning new stuff. I've always wanted to know how people manage to upload images that are directly linked to their Flickr. And it seems to work just the same with SmugMug. So, bear with me if I can't resist trying this out at once ... (Thanks to all indeed for the enlightenment!)

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-24-2019 at 05:58 AM.