Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,612
Can't figure out interval shooting on K500

A while back I picked up a K500 with the aperture block failure to use as a second astro body, mostly for doing wide astro shots with old all manual lenses. However for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it into interval shooting mode. I have the dial set to M but in the menu Mult-exposure remains enabled and I can't see how to disable unless I set the camera to shoot jpeg and then set HDR capture but that doens't result in interval mode being set. I have tried setting the various drive modes to see if that affects it and none did.

I figure this is something that should be fairly easy to get set correctly and there is some setting that I am missing but for the life of me I can't find it. So here is the currently settings for the camera:
Custom Image - neutral
digital filter - grayed out but set to off
HDR capture - grayed out but set to off
Image Capture settings:
File Format - RAW
JPEG Recorded Pixels 16m
JPEG Quality - ***
Color Space - sRGB
AE Metering - Spot
AF Settings:
AF .A - Grayed out
Expanded Area AF - unchecked
AF Active Area - Spot
AF Assist Light - Unchecked
Lens Correction - Off Off
Multi-Exposure - Is not grayed out
Interval Shooting - Is grayed out
D-Range Settings - Off Off

Mode: Manual
AF switch: Manual
Firmware: 1.02

12-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 238
According to the manual, when on the multi exposure screen, press the menu button twice and multi exposure ends. If that doesn't work, I would try resetting the camera to factory defaults. Since you're on the latest firmware, you might re-flash it in case it's somehow corrupted. I have heard of people flashing the K500 with the K50 firmware to activate the KAF4 mount. It may give you some added functionality. I don't know how that's done or if it will even work.
12-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,429
I believe the menu system is the same as the K-50 (though correct me if I'm wrong...) so to get interval shooting, which should be doable from any mode (except movie...): Into Menu, then submenu 2 under the camera icon. Select "Interval Shooting", adjust the interval and # of shots to your liking, click 'Start shooting'. Take a picture (with the shutter button) then leave the camera to do it's thing. Unless I've misunderstood your problem here, this should help
12-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,612
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I would try resetting the camera to factory defaults.
I've done that already to see if it would solve my problem and got nothing.

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
According to the manual, when on the multi exposure screen, press the menu button twice and multi exposure ends.
I read that as well. I gave it a try before and that is basically a way to interrupt an ongoing multi-exposure session but that doesn't solve the problem.

I will give it a fresh flash and full reset.

12-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,612
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I believe the menu system is the same as the K-50 (though correct me if I'm wrong...) so to get interval shooting, which should be doable from any mode (except movie...): Into Menu, then submenu 2 under the camera icon. Select "Interval Shooting", adjust the interval and # of shots to your liking, click 'Start shooting'. Take a picture (with the shutter button) then leave the camera to do it's thing. Unless I've misunderstood your problem here, this should help
That is what I thought as well but the option to enter interval shooting is always grayed out and disabled. After doing a full reset of everything even multi-exposure is grayed out. When I go into the custom function menu and set use aperture ring then multi-exposure becomes enabled. However after a full reset both multi-exposure and interval shooting are grayed out. Because of this I am thinking that there is some setting somewhere that just needs to be flipped but I am not sure what it is. The fact that enabling aperture ring in custom menu enables and disables multi-exposure seems to be an odd dependency. I've tried toggling other settings to no avail. I did read the manual first so that I wouldn't waste others't time.
12-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,429
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
That is what I thought as well but the option to enter interval shooting is always grayed out and disabled. After doing a full reset of everything even multi-exposure is grayed out. When I go into the custom function menu and set use aperture ring then multi-exposure becomes enabled. However after a full reset both multi-exposure and interval shooting are grayed out. Because of this I am thinking that there is some setting somewhere that just needs to be flipped but I am not sure what it is. The fact that enabling aperture ring in custom menu enables and disables multi-exposure seems to be an odd dependency. I've tried toggling other settings to no avail. I did read the manual first so that I wouldn't waste others't time.
Hmmm... I'm sorry I can't help, I went and did some trials...
I have my K-50 set to using aperture ring.
Interval and multi exposure work as expected with an M42 lens.
They both work fine with an 'A' lens.
Both work fine with an 'M' lens, either just shooting wide open or using green button metering in M mode.

Not sure what to do, maybe firmware update...?
12-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,612
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not sure what to do, maybe firmware update...?
It is currently fully updated but maybe reverting to a previous one might work, now to see if I can find one. I plan on using only as an astro body and apart from taking pictures in manual mode the only thing I want is interval shooting so I can set it up and let it run with a wide/ultrawide lens on it while I run the K-3 with a long lens chasing deep sky objects.
04-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the exact same problem.

04-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,612
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nipscm Quote
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the exact same problem.
No unfortunately not. For what I do with it I figured out that I would be fine with just putting the camera in continuous shooting mode and using a release cable that I could just flip is toggle switch on and let it run until I turn it off. With that realization I stopped trying to figure out a solution.

I tried flashing with firmware several times, resetting to factory, flashing back to the old firmware, etc. and none of them solved the problem for me.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
04-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,429
QuoteOriginally posted by nipscm Quote
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the exact same problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
No unfortunately not. For what I do with it I figured out that I would be fine with just putting the camera in continuous shooting mode and using a release cable that I could just flip is toggle switch on and let it run until I turn it off. With that realization I stopped trying to figure out a solution.

I tried flashing with firmware several times, resetting to factory, flashing back to the old firmware, etc. and none of them solved the problem for me.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
I found in my K-50 that I couldn't use Interval Shooting while in a User mode - but I could in the other modes (such as dial on M, not U1 with M mode selected). There's no explicable reason for this, but that's the way it is.

For my use, I also used a remote switched on and continuous shooting - which apparently is better as then an exposure isn't missed if there isn't much delay between intervals and the camera is still processing not able to take another shot.
04-25-2020, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #11
New Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
I got mine figured out, but it is likely not the reason others are having the problem. My K-50 is old enough that the internal battery has failed. I haven't replaced it and just by-pass the date screen that comes up each time I turn on the camera. I started accepting the default date when turning it on, and the interval shooting became available. It is greyed-out if I don't have a date entered.
04-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,612
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nipscm Quote
I started accepting the default date when turning it on, and the interval shooting became available. It is greyed-out if I don't have a date entered.
Now I wonder if this is my problem with mine as well as mine also has the failed internal battery.
04-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,429
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Now I wonder if this is my problem with mine as well as mine also has the failed internal battery.
Yes - that sounds like it would be it. It shouldn't need to affect 'Start now', but to start at a specific time, it would. It's also possible it uses the clock rather than a different timer for timing the next shots. I'd be interested to hear if setting a time in the clock solves the problem...
05-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,612
Original Poster
Since I was asked if I ever resolved this issues and I didn't have a yes but a work around for what I do and also since someone else stated that they have a similar problem because the internal clock battery failed and that they can get it to work when manually settign the time instead of skipping it I figured I would follow up. Yes I am able to do interval shooting if I set the time at startup. So I guess we have all learned that on the K-500 at least if the internal battery has failed to enable interval shooting you need to set the time and date manually at startup.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, figure, figure out interval, image, interval, interval shooting, jpeg, k500, mode, multi-exposure, multi-exposure & interval, pentax help, photography, settings, spot, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't figure out how to fine-tune the K-70 internal clock SPLewis Pentax K-70 5 09-19-2018 10:17 AM
meter looks different, can't figure out how to change it back Murfy Pentax K-3 2 06-11-2016 02:30 PM
Continuous Shooting, Exposure Bracketing, Interval Shooting etc in B Mode! kamayok3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 02-12-2014 01:45 PM
If someone can figure this out, you're a genius...issue w/ wrong exposure for lens crossover37 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 10-01-2010 10:13 AM
I can not figure out way I can't get a girl Friend!! Jimbo Post Your Photos! 4 07-29-2009 01:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top