Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GR - charging flexibility?

A question for those who have more experience with the voltage/ampere conversions of modern usb charging adapters:

I'm planning on an extended trip with minimal luggage space, and I got myself a GRii for the occasion. So far so good, loving what it does.

My question is: the included usb-to-wall-outlet charging adapter outputs at 5 volts 1 Amp. In the interest of taking less things with me, I took a look at the output of my phone charger usb-to-wall-outlet charging adapter, which outputs 5 volts at 2 Amps. The voltage between the two is the same, will the difference in amperage be harmful to the GR in any way? Or does the GR regulate the 'flow rate' such that it doesn't matter.

Thanks

EDIT: the manual reads, "Use only the indicated power supply voltage"... nothing about a higher amperage.

Last edited by Imp; 12-26-2019 at 08:19 PM.
12-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Higher amperage is fine. The number of amps in a charger measures the maximum it can supply, but it won't try to push extra amps into a device that doesn't want it.

Voltage must match. A large difference can overheat or otherwise damage electronics.
12-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I'm planning on an extended trip with minimal luggage space
Within the USA? Other countries can have different electrical standards for voltage, and different plug designs, so a USA charger is not universal.
12-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
A question for those who have more experience with the voltage/ampere conversions of modern usb charging adapters:

I'm planning on an extended trip with minimal luggage space, and I got myself a GRii for the occasion. So far so good, loving what it does.

My question is: the included usb-to-wall-outlet charging adapter outputs at 5 volts 1 Amp. In the interest of taking less things with me, I took a look at the output of my phone charger usb-to-wall-outlet charging adapter, which outputs 5 volts at 2 Amps. The voltage between the two is the same, will the difference in amperage be harmful to the GR in any way? Or does the GR regulate the 'flow rate' such that it doesn't matter.

Thanks

EDIT: the manual reads, "Use only the indicated power supply voltage"... nothing about a higher amperage.
For sake of safety, if I were taking just one charger on the trip, I would use the GR charger, and I would use the GR charger - phone combination before I went.

12-28-2019, 04:28 AM   #5

Do you have a powerbank?(back up battery for charging phones/tablets away from mains)
I tried charging my GRii using the stock cable with my powerbank and it works great
and is easy to recharge on the go if you have a bag with you, or even big pocket.

* I would not use a bargain powerbank that is under $30. You would better served with a higher capacity
one that costs a bit more, as you get the utility to recharge the gr's 1250mAh battery many times and

has intelligent management of the rate of charge)

{my 20100mAh powerbank can recharge many times over several days away from mains ac}