Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

HI there, and a question about using a 64Gb card in a K-5

Hi there, I am new here, I am not a professional photographer, I mainly take pictures of my jewelry for my business, and occasionally family pictures. Way back when I first started I owned a Pentax K-1000, I loved that camera!! Then I switched to a Sony Mavica that died, after that I used my ipad to take pictures. BUT earlier year I went back to a Pentax and purchased a Pentax K-5, and am now relearning how to take pictures. So far I love it!

BUT I have a problem, when I bought the camera I picked up an SD card, just one, I didn't take many pictures. I had put the SD card into my laptop to transfer pictures and forgot it was in there. THEN the laptop was stolen. Last week I purchased another SD card off amazon, this one: SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXY-064G-GN4IN

But when I put it into my camera I get the message "cannot use this card"

So my question is: Did I purchase the wrong type of SD card? OR is this SD card defective? I already tossed the packaging so cannot return it. BUT I wanted to ask this before I go out an buy another wrong SD card.

Thank you

12-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JennyPat Quote
Hi there, I am new here, I am not a professional photographer, I mainly take pictures of my jewelry for my business, and occasionally family pictures. Way back when I first started I owned a Pentax K-1000, I loved that camera!! Then I switched to a Sony Mavica that died, after that I used my ipad to take pictures. BUT earlier year I went back to a Pentax and purchased a Pentax K-5, and am now relearning how to take pictures. So far I love it!

BUT I have a problem, when I bought the camera I picked up an SD card, just one, I didn't take many pictures. I had put the SD card into my laptop to transfer pictures and forgot it was in there. THEN the laptop was stolen. Last week I purchased another SD card off amazon, this one: SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXY-064G-GN4IN

So my question is: Did I purchase the wrong type of SD card? OR is this SD card defective? I already tossed the packaging so cannot return it. BUT I wanted to ask this before I go out an buy another wrong SD card.

Thank you
Hello and welcome to Pentax Forums.

First, I would check the current firmware version of the camera, and if is isn't the latest, I would update it.

Second, I think the largest memory card supported in a K5 is 16gb. That said, I use 32gb cards in my K5IIs, so it is possible that with a firmware upgrade the 64gb card may work.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 12-29-2019 at 04:14 PM.
12-29-2019, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the official K-5 firmware update page. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.htm

Originally, the K-5 supported up to 32GB, but as Racer noted a firmware update will allow larger cards.
12-29-2019, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Second, I think the largest memory card supported in a K5 is 16gb. That said, I use 32gb cards in my K5IIs, so it is possible that with a firmware upgrade the 64gb card may work.
The K-5 requires a firmware update before cards larger than 32 Gb (i.e. SDXC cards) can be used.

Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Download and install this update and then you should be good to go:

Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Installation instructions:

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you!! I will do the firmware update, I bought my camera used and when I looked through I "thought" everything was there. Now I realize that one of the cables is the wrong one! I didn't get the USB cable to computer, I have a cable that won't work.

SO I am going to need to get the correct cable first. I even looked at my HDMI cables, and don't have the correct "male - male" one I would need.

After I hunt down the correct cable would the firmware be available on the Pentax website?
12-29-2019, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

as you can see, there are a lot of friendly members and knowledge to be found here

here is the in depth review
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-5 Review
Introduction
The PentaxForums.com staff is happy to be bringing out our first full-scale camera review! In this review, we'll cover just about all aspects of the new Pentax K-5 DSLR. Enjoy!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k5/review.html?src=lrdb#ixzz69XdnWYqd

link to user manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf

link to user reviews

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-5.html

you don't need a cable, you can update using an SD card and your computer

run the video in the link Adam gave you for installation instructions

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-29-2019 at 04:37 PM.
12-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After I hunt down the correct cable would the firmware be available on the Pentax website?
I might be mistaken but I think you need a SD card (the camera can read with this firmware) to do a firmware update, the USB cable is just used to transmit your images to your computer.

But Adam already posted the link to the newest firmware and also a description on how to install it.

12-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
UGH!! Thank you all so much.....I followed the instructions in the video step by step, (twice) Double and triple checked to make sure I was downloading the correct firmware, formatted the SD card in my computer before moving the .bin file to it. And am still getting the message that this card cannot be used.

At this point tonight I am frustrated! SO! I am going to visit Amazon, buy a 16gb SD card, and the cord (which I want anyway) then when they get here I will try again. YES I know I could go buy a card, BUT I live in the country and don't get to town more than once a week, it's easier to just order it.

This has been very helpful! Thank you!
12-29-2019, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any small card will work. 2, 4, 8 gb will work.

Do not just format in your computer. There is something about the file directory that is different between formatting in a computer and in the camera.

If you want to format SD cards in your computer, then use this; SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

This is software from the SD association and is made to format sd cards.
12-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Any small card will work. 2, 4, 8 gb will work.

Do not just format in your computer. There is something about the file directory that is different between formatting in a computer and in the camera.

If you want to format SD cards in your computer, then use this; SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

This is software from the SD association and is made to format sd cards.
OH I did not know this! I will download and format using that software, then try again.

Thank you
12-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OH I did not know this! I will download and format using that software, then try again.
The firmware update won't be possible with your 64GB SD card. The camera has to be able to use a SD card in the first place to install a firmware update from it (use any used SD card up to a size of 16GB and change after that to your 64GB card)
12-30-2019, 03:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
try a smaller capacity SD card, format it in camera (not computer) then place the firmware file on the card via card reader (not in a folder on the card), you should be good to go, but first make sure the battery is in full charge.
12-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Jenny use a 16GB SDHC , class 10, UHS-1 that says format SDHC camera card and this fits for K 5
SDXC and 4K is for newer cameras.
12-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I am running the most recent firmware on my K-5, and it's currently working happily with a 128 GB SD card in it. My only problem with the card is that the little lock slider keeps slipping out of position when I put the card in the camera, resulting in a "Card is locked" message on my rear LCD.
12-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you everyone, I currently don't have any SD cards (the one I had was stolen with the laptop) So I will need to wait until my Amazon order gets here. I ordered a 16GB plus the cord (for future use)